By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could anyone really kill Nintendo?

jarrod said:

Sega.  If only they hadn't killed themselves. ;_;

Eww what an insult to Nintendo

SEGA never got to 14% of the greatness Nintendo was!

I hope nothing kills them.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
c0rd said:
Chairman-Mao said:

If Sony had released the PS3 at $299 with good games like GT5, FF13 (exclusive), Killzone 2, LBP, and maybe a couple others then Nintendo would be dead right now. Of course looking back that is obvious.

I think next gen Sony could go back to domination. If they release a well priced console with a great launch lineup, 3D, motion controls, blu-ray player, and the best graphics then I think Sony could not kill but dominate Nintendo.

Are you serious?

Games like GT5, FF13, Kilzone 2, etc do absolutely nothing to combat the huge new audience Nintendo has tapped into with the Wii. Sony has trouble getting everything but young males (teen - adult). Not to mention, the PS3 would be something else entirely if it were priced that low (otherwise we may as well imagine the Wii with HD graphics, imagine that?)

Next gen, if third parties start supporting Nintendo, they should dominate even harder. Unless Sony or MS wildly change their strategies, they'll be in decline. Neither seem capable of making / obtaining exclusives with selling power anywhere close to Nintendo's.

yeah but the huge Audiences that Nintendo tapped into was because those audiences got to know about the Wii which would not have been possible is PS3 was a hit

Just think would 360 be so high as its now,NO it wouldn't have been and PPS3 would atleast have 50% of 360 userbase of now and if PS3 was succesfull the mom's wouldn't have gotten to know about the Wii so much

yes Nintendo have an advantage for next gen as SONY ad after PS2 as long as they don't fuck up with the price and hardware as SONY did

Yes, there is one company that can kill Nintendo. and that is Nintendo.

All good things come to an end. Including Nintendos reign of power. :P

darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:

Sega.  If only they hadn't killed themselves. ;_;

Eww what an insult to Nintendo

SEGA never got to 14% of the greatness Nintendo was!

I hope nothing kills them.

Nonsense. Genesis did what Nintendidn't.

badgenome said:

Release terrible add-ons?

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:
badgenome said:

Release terrible add-ons?

Somebody should warn Sony and MS

Nintendo never gives up. They are all about gaming. Sure the gamecube era was bad for them but did it stop them? No it didn't. They kept their head up and continued a long to reach success again.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Obviously Nintendo could kill themselves, actually, any fall from such a high perch couldn't be merely the result of external factors, but having said that what would a Nintendo-asskicking competitor look like?

Well, clearly it wouldn't just have better tech. If this gen wasn't enough proof then a quick look back at the late 80s and early 90s shows a graveyard of consoles that had superior tech to Nintendo but were zero threat to them.

Sony had success against Nintendo by leveraging their other business segments, luring away developers, and by focusing their marketing on key demographs. Blame Nintendo's survival on handhelds if you wish, but any Nintendo slayer clearly would need to deliver a one-two punch against both their handhelds and consoles. And obviously just doing what Sony did was not enough.

In the early days of Sega 's console business it tried to mimic Nintendo's strategy, and this was only a marginal success. That doesn't mean a company built in Nintendo's image couldn't succeed, but to kill Nintendo this way would require doing what Nintendo does better than Nintendo does it. Moving to a "Nintendon't" strategy as Sega eventually did merely stole one demograph from Nintendo.

I guess what I am saying is that a potential Nintendo killer would have to

• have great 1st party games for all demographs (that do what Nintendo games do only better)
  • lure away 3rd parties even moreso than Sony ever did
  • be set up to distribute their HW globally
  • be able to enter the console and handheld markets in quick succession

Some people have mentioned Apple; I don't think Apple is currently set up to do this, but they are sitting on a mountain of money right now, and they could probably afford to pull this off if they so choose. Imagine if Apple decided to buy out one or two of the large publishers like EA or Activision. Then launched a special version of the iPhone that included typical gaming buttons/controls. Follow that two years later with the iConsole. This could threaten Nintendo in a huge way.

But I doubt anything like this is going to happen.

whooohooo

Joelcool7 said:

I remember during the GameCube era lots of people said that Sony was going to kill Nintendo. Today Nintendo doesn't even consider Sony its primary competition instead naming Apple its new competitor. So if the PS2 couldn't kill Sony infact Nintendo turned the largest profit out of the three during the GCN era I believe. So with PSP dead in the water to DS and 3DS on its way Sony seems to have thrown in the towel for the handheld market.

Could anyone really bring down Nintendo now, what are they worth like 8-billion by now. Even if they managed to loose like 3-generations in a row at Microsoft or Sega's losses 500-mill a generation, then it would take 16-generations to kill Nintendo.

I think Nintendo is invincible they are the greatest game company on earth as shown by this weeks E3. Could anybody ever truly take on Nintendo? Can anyone even call themselves a worthy competitor of Nintendo. I mean seriously while Sony looses money on every unit sold and so does Microsoft usually for years after their consoles hit the market Nintendo has never lost a dime on their hardware.

Can anyone compete with Nintendo and actually give them a run for their money or will Nintendo be around 300-years from now?

no way, even in the gamecube gen you are talking about Nintendo made more profit than Sony in games.  The gamecube was sold at a profit, it sold lots of 1st party software, GBA and DS made tons of money, and Sony's strategy with the PS2 was not as good as the PS1.  Sony WAS making Nintendo like profits in the PS1 gen when their strategy was not be the most powerful and not to be a loss leader. 

As long as Nintendo has their core base they can never be defeated.  First party titles alone asure this, and with the sales they get from the 1st party sales they will get a bunch of multiplat titles as well.  For Sony to beat Nintendo they would have to make such good software that people didn't care about Nintendo's first party titles.

Nintendo has such a huge war chest they can afford to have a few bad gens as well.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X