By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should SONY Scrap PSP2?! (If they plan to make one)

I agree with you, same goes for the original Xbox, it's start off was bad, but look at the 360 now.

Theres no need for anything to be put aside, thats simple fanboy talk because they dont want there platform having a rival of any sort. PSP2 (if made) could very well end up being the new DS of next gen, tables can be turned at any time if its priced right, with a solid launch-line up and major fan support.

Nintendo's rayne in the handheld market can only last for so long, nintendo was dethroned (in consoles), then so was sony (in consoles) , guess whos next in line (in handhelds)? anythings possible.

Around the Network

I think Sony would be far better off with riding out the PSP to the bitter end and forgetting about a PSP2. They are already stretched thin between PS3 games, Move, and 3D. With their financial issues lately, I don't think a PSP2 would be a good idea any time soon.

Smashchu2 said:
zzamaro said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
aragod said:
ZaP~ said:

I agree with Smashchu2.

Right now 3DS has the 3rd party support and the first party, on the DS-PSP the things was more third party efforts to PSP and Nintendo dominated on DS. As things are right now it's too risk for Sony to develop a PSP2, i mean, what can they do to be different enought and still make developer interested on work on their platform.

Simple answer, unhackable download only device with no piracy. And second analog.

Simple Eh? The only thing they have now that is close to those standards in the PSP Go, and guess what? Most people dont seem to like it too well...

Overpriced system, overpriced games...something that can change...

You can change the price very easily. But, would you risk millions of dollars on the same idea if you thought the problem was something else?

Also, not sure why people bring up Apple very much. I have yet to see any data that supports that Apple products and games on their devices inpacts the software and hardware sales of the DS and PSP. I would love to see those.

But that is the question, is the problem something else? If the system has great games (which you want to play) and accessible price, you won't care about the rest as long as it's not limiting you in your ability to play.

About Apple, well there are articles, mostly speculation, but that's because it's really hard to get any hard data about mobile games affecting handhelds. You have to watch the general trends, i.e. handheld software sales dropping and mobile game sales rising or the other way around.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

shuraiya said:
andremop said:

Plus, like iwata said... touch screen and 3D don't match very well... so if sony wants to do 3D they probably need a second non touch screen, and that would be a blatant copy of design, even for today's standards.

That simply means Nintendo wasn't able to get 3d and touchscreen to work together. I suggest Sony find a way to inplement the 2 in a single screen, include a physical media (no download only), make it motion sensitive, and finally, really push connectivity. I expect wifi and 3G/4G at the very least. Their priority should be to ensure all PSP2s can communicate all the time. They might not need to make it a smartphone as long as they include the ability to call other psp2 users.

The fact is that if you use the touch when 3D is on...3D effect vanishes! It would be like during a 3D moovie putting your end in front of your eyes, you would see that 3D is just an effect, while without something between your yes and the screen it seems real. That's the problem.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

I agree with you, same goes for the original Xbox, it's start off was bad, but look at the 360 now.

Theres no need for anything to be put aside, thats simple fanboy talk because they dont want there platform having a rival of any sort. PSP2 (if made) could very well end up being the new DS of next gen, tables can be turned at any time if its priced right, with a solid launch-line up and major fan support.

Nintendo's rayne in the handheld market can only last for so long, nintendo was dethroned (in consoles), then so was sony (in consoles) , guess whos next in line (in handhelds)? anythings possible.

Plus 10 (lol you can't use plus signs on Vgchartz?!)

If anything the last 2 gens have shown us, its that companies should never give up, anything can happen.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

No they shouldn't, not because they have any chance of winning or even being close to the 3DS in sales, but because there is no other series contender in the huge market outside of phones.  If Sony enters the market with near profitability from day 1 it is a given they can take a minimum of 20% of the market just because there is nothing else out there.  The home console market is a little more crowded, if Sony were to leave Microsoft could easily fill the void, but just leaving 3DS to stand alone is silly.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

ou maybe right and if you are Sony will once again find their foot in their mouth because of the new PSP commercial where Buttler disses the idea of a phone and games. Its the one where Marcus is hired

I've already seen several rumours saying Sony is working with Ericsson for the next PSP. If so and they add 3G/Phone support to the PSP2 than it might actually outsell the 3DS. Only having to carry around one device instead of two is a huge advantage.

I don't think at all that they have 'scrapped' the PSP2, I think they are just undergoing a serious redesign.

As others have stated, they are stuck between apple and Nintendo, a battle they are almost certainly going to lose.

AnthonyW86 said:

I've already seen several rumours saying Sony is working with Ericsson for the next PSP. If so and they add 3G/Phone support to the PSP2 than it might actually outsell the 3DS. Only having to carry around one device instead of two is a huge advantage.

Then they will compete with iphone which will stomp sony to death. I doubt Apple would want unwanted visitors to step into their throne in the phone market. Who cares about a phone? My iphone is going to be 4G soon.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909