By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should SONY Scrap PSP2?! (If they plan to make one)

This question arises from this thread

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=111502&page=1

I've seen countless people in it say SONY should scrap PSP2, SONY should give up in the portable market and so on.

As much as I dislike PSP I still think its been a big success so I don't think PSP2 should be scrapped.

Its ALWAYS good to have competition and people used to say Nintendo should give up in the gamecube days on the console front, and look at the situation now. 

So does anyone on here have a valid reason for why SONY should scrap PSP2? Because I don't have one and I am shocked some people think that way,

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

One big reason the Playstation brand is still kicking is because it was a strong brand for their first 10 years. Typically, if a consumer bought Playstation, they got all the games. That isn't happening now.

Sony is starting to hit a dilhema that is going to prevent them from ever being on top again. With systems being more and more powerful, cost are rising faster then revenue can keep up, and with weaking world economies and growing disinterest with videogames. people are less willing to buy videogame systems, esspecially when they run somewhere from $400-$600. Sony was successful in part because they had all the games and launched early enough to take all the third party software and build a sizable userbase. But if the other guys launch first, or right around when Sony does, this advantage is gone. Now, it depends on what software you do get. This means 1st party software is king, and we know which company wins that war (hint: it starts with N and rhymes with go). Sony is not a game company, so all game studios they own they buy. The same is true of Microsoft. This also means that all first party titles they make are only just as good as other first party titles on the market, so it becomes a game of moneyhatting and luck that they bought the guys who will make hits. This is going to put the ball in Nintendo's court every time (the only X factor for them is getting third party support, but they've proven they don't need it so long as their software is top notch).

If I were Sony, I would not bother with a PSP2 now. The 3DS has sucked up the support so Sony has to hope for scraps. They also can't compete with Nintendo's first party titles. I would only release a PSP2 when the 3DS infringes on the 3D market Sony is building in a hjope to stop Nintendo.

You crazy?

Smashchu2 you are even better analyst than Pachter, with your brilliant logical thinking you could make him your bitch at Wedbush. No just kidding, you might bring him a coffe and papers if you work a little harder. Seriously no clue

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

I agree with Smashchu2.

Right now 3DS has the 3rd party support and the first party, on the DS-PSP the things was more third party efforts to PSP and Nintendo dominated on DS. As things are right now it's too risk for Sony to develop a PSP2, i mean, what can they do to be different enought and still make developer interested on work on their platform.

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

I think they probably already did scrap the PSP2....

What I mean by this is that I think they have probably scrapped existing plans and gone back to the drawing board...

The 3DS has changed EVERYTHING.

I'm guessing there were a few "oh shit!" moments at Sony HQ over recent months.

Really? By your logic it would appear that technical development teams do work on impulse and can poop out technology on a whim, but are just waiting for someone else to do it first?

That display technology on 3DS is many years old and wasn't invented by Nintendo. And I really can't see what EVERYTHING it changed just now. I remember everyone saying 3D was a gimmick till Nintendo announced 3D handheld, now it's in and they are pioneers in 3D technology.

I say we wait first till we start making silly statements without anything to back them up.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

ZaP~ said:

I agree with Smashchu2.

Right now 3DS has the 3rd party support and the first party, on the DS-PSP the things was more third party efforts to PSP and Nintendo dominated on DS. As things are right now it's too risk for Sony to develop a PSP2, i mean, what can they do to be different enought and still make developer interested on work on their platform.

Simple answer, unhackable download only device with no piracy. And second analog.

Darth.. honestly we are on vgchartz.. why are you even suprised people are saying "PSP2 is fucked" or w.e.

In any case.. kowenicki I disagree.. they are waiting for the 4G network.. to unvil PSP"2". Which will likely be a phone.

mM
aragod said:

Smashchu2 you are even better analyst than Pachter, with your brilliant logical thinking you could make him your bitch at Wedbush. No just kidding, you might bring him a coffe and papers if you work a little harder. Seriously no clue

Then may I ask why my analysis is wrong?

@kowenicki Yes, perhaps that is a possibility.

aragod said:
ZaP~ said:

I agree with Smashchu2.

Simple answer, unhackable download only device with no piracy. And second analog.

Download only??? You really think that will be succesfull??