By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Microsoft E3 2010 Press Conference Thread

Grimes said:

I see a BIG problem for Kinect right now.

They showed nothing about Kinect that will support the existing owners of Xbox 360s. No Halo or Gear support for Kinect. So there isn't a big incentive for these people to get it.

If the Kinect costs say $150, that will bring the total price to $450. No way in hell are you going to get many people to buy in at that price when the Wii costs $250 less.

The games for core gamers will take longer to make.  It's a little unreasonable to expect core games to be developed using a completely new control paradigm in one year or even a year and a half,

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

Overall I think it was a good conference. I greatly enjoyed the core games shown (all of them, and I'm not a Fable kind of guy), and th Kinect games generally looked neat.

I want it clear that I still expect it to be dead on arrival. It does, however, look neat.

Dead on arrival? What exactly? U mean Kinect?

Yes. I expect it to perform poorly - if it mets Microsoft's expectations I will be surprised, and people's expectations on this board are way too high.

I think it will be this generation's 32x.

Yeah I guess I agree.

The big problem is that Kinect is a separate add-on. Plus it came a lil late in the gen obviously.

kowenicki said:

when is the console available in the UK I wonder?

I want one now!!

seems ms can teach sony a thing or two about secrecy.

16th in EU

Btw Elite is dropping to $249, Arcade to $150, the slimmer console is $299 - same price as PS3. If Sony are up for it, a price cut could work well for them.

Only thing that interested me there is the 360 slim and timed exclusive cod stuff for 3 years.

I think cod is a dying franchise though. I would bet money that MW2 is the peak of this franchise. No way Black Ops or even MW3 sells as well as MW2.

is there a kinect conference days later? maybe this kinect line-up was on purpose... I guess

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
-PaNdOrA- said:

So now:

- Motion controls are awesome

- Casual games are welcome

I guess the Wii is "cool" now :D

Haha yeah.. The only thing I liked about this conference is that NOBODY can POSSIBLY diss Nintendo's conferences anymore for being too "casual" focused. Nintendo would have to do A LOT to top this in terms of casual focus. They'd have to like, have a bunch of todlers on stage playing "Imagine Babiez", or have an old man playing "Wii Nursing Home" or something.

This confernece made Nintendo's 2008 look like gold.

I wouldn't go that far. The real issue wasn't that it was so casual focused. The issue was that pretty much every game they showed for Kinect was a Wii game without a controller.

Oh, and everyone saying "My daughter/wife/grandmother loved the look of Kinect", are they the ones who are going to buy Kinect?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Dance Central looks quality, especially because Harmonix are behind that and they really know how to do music games right.

Needs gifs!

Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

Yes. I expect it to perform poorly - if it mets Microsoft's expectations I will be surprised, and people's expectations on this board are way too high.

I think it will be this generation's 32x.

Yeah I guess I agree.

The big problem is that Kinect is a separate add-on. Plus it came a lil late in the gen obviously.

Just so. The quality of its software is subjective but immaterial in the face of the circumstances of its launch. Mark my words - Kinect is an experiment, an expensive one, that will test the waters for Microsoft's next console.

finalsquall said:

Xbox 360 = SOFTCORE!!!  What happen to their game line up? At the end of the day gamers care about GAMES!!! Kinect is cool in some aspects but it will become mundane one day and people will go back to the controller.  The drive experience without a controller or steering wheel looks lame. The only thing worth it was the Ubi Soft exercise game.  Other than that it was a very lame show.   I hope Sony kicks M$ a$$ in the conference and Move shows a real interactive experience for Hardcore  gamers!!!

I can already summarize Sony's conference for you. 

They will do their annual powerpoint show where they just go through slides after slide pointing out how many ps3's they've sold and they are going to break it down in to demographics by age and other criterias.  They will talk about their growth and the playstation family blah blah blah.  Afterwards they are going to tout their past success with the ps2 and ps1 and go through the figures for those. 

Then they are going to show a bunch of titles for the psp and ps3 to get everyone excited most won't be released this year but they are going to give vague release dates for some of them like winter or fall 2010 which of course are going to get delayed.  They will show games that are years away from being released as well but give the impression that they are far along in development and you won't hear about them for months to years after that.

When that is out of the way they will get to Move which is just a Wii rip off.  Oh yeah they will periodically show game montages of the ps3 and move games with vague release dates for this year that you won't get to play this year because they are getting delayed and will be at next years e3.