By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Microsoft E3 2010 Press Conference Thread

Legend11 said:

The new model 360 seems to address every complaint I've heard about the system in forums (noise, small hard drive, heat issues, not wireless, etc) and some people are still complaining about it.  It's like they wouldn't have been happy unless it was priced at $149 (and even then some probably would have bitched about it).  It's like Microsoft can't win with some people regardless of whatever they do.

It's especially funny seeing some people bitch about part of their presentation having a casual focus and then looking down to see a Wii banner or whatever in their sig.  Or those bitching because Microsoft isn't willing to sell their systems cheaper and take a loss like Sony this gen (even though it seemed like a lot of people bashed Microsoft last gen for losing money, now the same people champion Sony which is doing the same things this gen).

I agree, but a LOT of people (okay, mostly Xbox/MS fans) were expecting a big bombshell price drop to accompany the "slim" which they hoped would mirror the success the PS3 had last year with their revision and more importantly, $100 price drop.

Noise, heat and reliability factors all remain to be seen, but I have a very hard time imagining the new units to be be anything but quieter (as announced), cooler and more reliable (it doesn't take 5 years to fix a faulty design).

The WiFi N is a big added bonus that was really a case of catch up with everyone else (even the DS has WiFi), but good nonetheless.

It's probably best to still wait for Kinect and holiday bundles to be announced later this year. Personally, I don't see the rush to buy a "new" Xbox at the same price unless you're one of those guys who just buys the same console over and over.

Around the Network

Wow.... just wow at some of these comments, look guys the conference wasn't that great to me either, in fact it wasn't even entertaining like their conferences usually are, but man you guys know there isn't any call for some of these.

Time to start weeding through this thread in

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

That conference was just lame, I'm really disappointed even though I consider myself a casual gamer and was actually looking forward to Kinect.

I think Kinetec Sports could be fun when you have some friends over, the dancing game could also be fun - but that was it. I was actually expecting a few EyeToy-like minigame collections, because that's what I was looking for the most - now I'm really disappointed there was nothing.

I guess they were really giving away the new Xbox for free because they were expecting the audience to be pissed after such a lame conference.

Nothing for Kinect really wowed for me - but the Slim looks very nice.  I want to know if the brick is gone, though.

Big titles looked very good as ever (did I see space battle there in Reach, that would be great) but the Kinect titles didn't convince me that the experience is going to be better than Wii other than more hi-res graphics.

Overall decent but I just don't see enough in Kinect to really swing momentum away from the Wii when 70M plus have been sold and as well as the casual titles you have Wii Fit so well established and the core Mario titles.  Plus the implication is you're looking at paying more unless the Kinect bundle is very competitive.

Giving a room full of journo's a free device seems a little too close to a bribe for my European tastes given they're supposed to walk out giving objective and critical views on what they've just observed, but maybe I'm just jealous!

I do actually like the new design, though, although it has surprised me in seeming at odds, with its angles, at the goal of Kinect, but I'm not going to complain when I like it personally.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

forest-spirit said:

Wait.Milo! What happened to Milo?

OMG, I think the Tiger ate Milo!

Yah where's MILO? I am expecting him.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

when is the console available in the UK I wonder?

I want one now!!

seems ms can teach sony a thing or two about secrecy.

Yeah, by leaking the images before their conference. Seems they both could learn something from this.

selnor said:
disolitude said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Ill say this

I hate motion controls but based off of Software
for me

Move>Kinect

Why? Socom 4, Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5 will all be Move Playable

As well as regular controller...which is most likely actually more fun.

Problem is casuals dont buy Resi 5 or Socom 4 or Mario Galaxy etc. I think thats the difference between what M$ are aiming at and what Sony are aiming at. 

M$ will get stick for their casual lineup. But they will get alot of sales fom it.

The tech is truly amazing.

Sony have shown plenty of casual games, they're very much aiming at the casual audience. The difference is that Sony also have games for their core audience on the Move, where Microsoft have shown nothing for the Kinect.

The show for me was a let down, last year MS had much better show than what they've shown today.

6 games, 4(3 - Fable isn't) exclusives. All of them known before E3, apart from that Crytek game, which shown only a teaser that doesn't tell us anything. All blockbusters were good looking, Reach was the best for me, followed by tied second place by Gears and MGS:Rising. Fable 3 had a pretty bad trailer imo, but I'll gladly play that game on my PC. Can't be bothered by another milked Call of Duty.

Than it came... casual shovelware. While some of the stuff looked cool, it wasn't for us gamers. Apart from tilting lens on Natal, there wasn't anything that would separate it from PS Eye Toy. And the whole conference was really US centric, most of the stuff they've shown won't be available at Europe. Forza demonstration was laughing stock, that car demo where you could look inside of it was so fake it hurted. The same thing you can see on any website, go explore audi's site and they have the same, even better. And Natal implementation into serious racing game = dodge slower cars kind of minigame? Really?

The whole conference was focused on casuals and casuals only, 2 blockbuster exclusives that were known long before, 3 multiplats that were known long before (atleast we've seen some footage from MGS) and one teaser from console virgins at Crytek.

It felt like watching 2008's Nintendo's press conference. 10 minutes in and Xbox slim out were the only attention worthy parts of it.

5/10 - from a gamers point of view, my mum might see it differently

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

-PaNdOrA- said:

So now:

- Motion controls are awesome

- Casual games are welcome

I guess the Wii is "cool" now :D

Haha yeah.. The only thing I liked about this conference is that NOBODY can POSSIBLY diss Nintendo's conferences anymore for being too "casual" focused. Nintendo would have to do A LOT to top this in terms of casual focus. They'd have to like, have a bunch of todlers on stage playing "Imagine Babiez", or have an old man playing "Wii Nursing Home" or something.

This confernece made Nintendo's 2008 look like gold.

I was actually pretty bored throughout the conference.  Some of the Kinect stuff looked good.  The exercise thing looks pretty well done for what it is.  But I didn't really konect with most of the stuff they showed.  Except for the user interface overhauled that the device will provide, I'm not sold one bit.

I did expect them to spend a lot of time on Kinect, and I wasn't expecting many "hardcore" game surprises, but one or 2 surprise games would have been a big plus.

And my 3 years old son was pretty indifferent to all that was shown and my wife said that Wii Fit does all of that exercise thing already. ¬_¬

Overall, I think they didn't deliver.