By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Lord Flashheart said:

I don't think the poor argument works. I've seen basketball courts in poor countries or at least hoops. They even have one in the town I live in so they have access it's just that like rounders to baseball, in america they are big sports taught in school and played professionally but in the rest of the world they are meerly pass times that might get used by kids for 5mins in the park.

They aren't taught the game or watched on tv so the kids don't know the rules and have no reason to be interested in them. Also they are busy with many other sports so they don't need nor want a new sport taking up their time.

Cricket is BIG in India especially the slums and they dont have big fields with 20 people to form teams and the right equipment but they manage to play the sport on a big scale. People will always find a way to do what they really want to.

Yeah, Ithink you're more right about that. but the India example, also shows how  much sports is matter of culture, Cricket is an engnland sport, so they have imported it in their colonies.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Who cares...? They are one country alone on a planet of football lovers.  I dont want them anywhere near the game... they'd only ruin it.

Why analyse it... it really doesnt matter... not even a little bit...

Dont need them.

Are those tears I see coming from your eyes? Don't cry now.

Boo hoo.

Which bit of what I said is wrong?

Did they invent the game?.... no

Are they alone in their indifference?.... yes

Does it matter?.... no

Its kind of the same in motorsport with the Indy series v F1.

Why so hostile. This is just an interesting discussion in the off top forums. Alot of things really don't matter,but that doesn't mean people can't have an interesting discussion about it.

Scoobes said:
pastro243 said:
Kasz216 said:
hobbit said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I blame football.  Most people here favor football out of all the sports.  This leads to a smaller viewer base for other sports like Soccer, plus it means most good athletes end up playing football (or even basketball and baseball), thus making soccer less exciting than it is in other regions.

Nobody here goes to watch the New Orleans Storm, for example, because the team really isn't very good, especially compared to teams from other countries.  They probably play on the level of university teams from places like England.

There is no real reason that we can't have a top level Soccer team if the money was there.

I mean, while having physical freaks is good, it's usually the smaller guys who play well in Soccer.

I think it's just more a matter of the prestige being there and the economic benefits not being prevelevent until higschool and by then you've lost a lot of important time developing.  The MLS salaries aren't remotley similar to other salaries.

It'd be interesting if the US ever did become interested in Soccer though... and it's something the rest of Europe probably shouldn't want.

Truth is, if Americans got behind it, they'd probably outbuy  the Premier league on players or atleast a number of them shifting the best talent overseas and causing it to be played in the middle of the night.... and dragging down the champions league with it too since there isn't any American Champions league representation nor should their considering geography.

Central and South America may enjoy that though.

Actually there is a concacaf champions league.

No kidding?

I only watcht he Premier League myself.  I mean, it's the best league... and I don't have any hometown affiliation to any MLS team anyway.

You should watch other leagues like spanish or argentinian, english playing, like we saw today in england vs the US(similar type of gameplay) has lots of vertigo but in my opinnion lacks in ball control.

And you are missing great players that prefer to go to spain or italy.

I think this is the main reason why england couldnt beat the USA today, they didnt show a style that wouldve worked better(put a player like messi or any small and fast one and they wouldve created many fouls/chances).

We had both Sean Wight-Phillips and Lennon on the wings. Unfortunately, they're not that good...

Yeah but they didnt play the way they could create fouls, I would have told Wright-Philips to seek fouls by pissing USA players with some footwork, it usually works for us when we play against strong and big but dumb deffenders.

kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Who cares...? They are one country alone on a planet of football lovers.  I dont want them anywhere near the game... they'd only ruin it.

Dont need them.

Boo hoo.

Does it matter?.... no

How about the idea that America would ruin the game if we started liking it on a large scale? Need a Kleenex, Mr. Tears? Gonna start crying soon? Oh wait, you already have.

Boo hoo hoo.

MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Dont need them.

Boo hoo.

Does it matter?.... no

How about the idea that America would ruin the game if we started liking it on a large scale? Need a Kleenex, Mr. Tears? Gonna start crying soon? Oh wait, you already have.

Boo hoo hoo.

Yep, cause bigger countries means better players, right?

No.

First of all, many americans are overweight, which means they wouldnt get as many players to choose from. Yes, they would still have more players than, probably any other nation in the world.

But...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

How does it feel to lose to a country, with a population of 5.500.000?

You wont always find strength in numbers.

Edit: meh, embed didnt work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzqhTl7zWkI

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/06/why_isnt_soccer_more_popular_i.html     ------link.   This is an interesting article on why soccer is'nt more popular in America. What do you think about this?

The author of this article is a genius and just owned every excuse you guys have as to why soccer is better than our "original" made sports!

Lord Flashheart said:
Darc Requiem said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Darc Requiem said:

There is so much stupidity in this thread that I don't know where to begin.....

Also calling people the US, Yankees or Yanks is ignorant. That may fly in the North Eastern U.S. but calling someone a Yankee in the Southeastern part of the country could be a serious issue. 

Yanks is a blanket term for Americans. Yankee is I'm guessing Yanks from the south but are not what we mean when we say Yanks it's probably where we got the word Yanks from.

We could use septic tank instead if you prefer?

I'm not gonna lower myself to your level and the other people this thread that can't give an honest answer to the question asked and have to resort petty insults. There have been a few people that gave a real answer to the question but they get ignored for people that prefer name calling to actual discussion. So how about both sides continue insult each other and essentially prove what the other side is saying. 

No please lower yourself. I gave an honest answer and you cant take it.

you've lowered yourself enough. If you don't have a sense of humour then I recommend leaving the internet as you will be offended time and time again by the simplist things.

Nice try but I'm not biting. You are obviously  posting inflammatory things to get a rise out of people. Not giving you the satisfaction. 

the1te said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Dont need them.

Boo hoo.

Does it matter?.... no

Boo hoo hoo.

No.

First of all, many americans are overweight, which means they wouldnt get as many players to choose from. Yes, they would still have more players than, probably any other nation in the world.

But...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

*Gives you some tissues*

Gee, don't let those tears get everywhere dude.

I never said anything about bigger countries making better players, or any of the crap you listed in your response. It's like you quoted some other post entirely and forgot who you were responding to (lol). So first you say that Americans don't have as many players to choose from because we're all so fat. This is a stupid point. Even if only 20% of Americans were fit, that would still be about 60 million Americans to draw talent from (equal to the total populations of nations such as the U.K., France, and Italy). Not to mention that you go on to say that population sizes don't matter. What point were you trying to make in that post? I don't even know. Here's an idea: Don't post.

And what the hell? A video of hockey? How does that have anything to do with soccer?

"Ooohhh, the Danish beat us at Hockey. We'll never be cool again."

I think being fat would be very helpful in Hockey, but then again, I don't follow the sport. Anyways, it would benefit Denmark since the country is near the Top 20 in obesity rates. Slow down on those meatballs guys.

Because in the eyes of Americans it is boring.

end of thread.

the1te said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Dont need them.

Boo hoo.

Does it matter?.... no

Boo hoo hoo.

No.

But...

The difference between Obesisty in the US and UK is only like 10%.  The population difference....  a bit higher.

Population is VERY important to fielding a good team.  Money, Population and caring are why Brazil are always at the top.

They're rich enough, Care enough, and have a huge population.... with a lot of poor people may I add who work hard because they see it as a great way out.