By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Soonerman said:
Smidlee said:

You can even be armless and play soccer. What other sport can you do that? I do think most American understands soccer (The term "Soccer Mom") it just we find our hands more interesting  than our feet. In NFL football the stars are often QB and WR for this reason.  In Baseball the main star is the pitcher and his good arm.

Wow, this has to be the most retarded comment I have ever read. But hey, let me use your logic with this one. Football is so much better because people that can't use their legs can still throw a football. Hell, they can even throw a baseball or a basketball!!! Your logic is extremely flawed. Any handicapped person can find a sport they can play, but of course you had to limit it only to "armless" people. So tell me again, how many people do you see playing soccer on a wheelchair?

I didn't suggest you don't use your legs/feet in other sports as even a baseball pitchers uses his legs to add power to his pitch. Yet what other part of the pitcher's body is talk about more than his pitching arm?  An armless soccer player is not anywhere near as "handicap" as a armless (legless) pitcher or even as  an armless soccer goalie.

Around the Network
Soonerman said:
KylieDog said:

For one thing the US is going to have trouble adopting a sport whos name they stole.

I think football is too fast paced for americans also, its 90 minutes of play interupted by only one break where as in handegg they are constantly stopping and starting, google says americans are fat so they are never going to play a game that doesn't give them breaks every other minute.

Really though look at a number of sports that are popular, Handegg, Ice Hockey, Wrestling.  Americans seem to like fake violence mixed with drama.  I mean you look at wrestling with its fake violence and drama trashtalking and you look at the others and its the same.  There is a reason padding is worn on these other sports and its be be violent with 'hard' tackles or fights breaking out but at the same time false, just like wrestling.  Fun fact:  If a wrestler were to ever use a handegg star gimmick the world would probably implode.

Wow, let me educate you on the name football and where it comes from. We call it football here in North America because:

1)The length of the ball used is close or a tad over one foot. A foot is an official measure here in the United States
2)We carry a one foot sized ball across the field

Your soccer crap, invited by England, is called football by the rest of the world. Because you use a ball with your foot. Spanish speaking countries like to call it futbol. So what does fut or bol mean in spanish?!? Absolutely nothing. 

In conclusion, we have a more valid reason to call our sport football than the rest of the world. Why? Because we used smart thinking to name our sport. We didn't think like a caveman would do. The English on the other hand.....oog oog, foot ugk ugk ball "scratches head"

@ kyliedog - Its called football because the sport is played on foot, not because of the body parts used, that's why all these sports have a legitimate reason to be called football.

@soonerman - nice xenophobic attitude you got going there.

Soonerman said:
KylieDog said:

For one thing the US is going to have trouble adopting a sport whos name they stole.

I think football is too fast paced for americans also, its 90 minutes of play interupted by only one break where as in handegg they are constantly stopping and starting, google says americans are fat so they are never going to play a game that doesn't give them breaks every other minute.

Really though look at a number of sports that are popular, Handegg, Ice Hockey, Wrestling.  Americans seem to like fake violence mixed with drama.  I mean you look at wrestling with its fake violence and drama trashtalking and you look at the others and its the same.  There is a reason padding is worn on these other sports and its be be violent with 'hard' tackles or fights breaking out but at the same time false, just like wrestling.  Fun fact:  If a wrestler were to ever use a handegg star gimmick the world would probably implode.

Wow, let me educate you on the name football and where it comes from. We call it football here in North America because:

1)The length of the ball used is close or a tad over one foot. A foot is an official measure here in the United States
2)We carry a one foot sized ball across the field

Your soccer crap, invited by England, is called football by the rest of the world. Because you use a ball with your foot. Spanish speaking countries like to call it futbol. So what does fut or bol mean in spanish?!? Absolutely nothing. 

In conclusion, we have a more valid reason to call our sport football than the rest of the world. Why? Because we used smart thinking to name our sport. We didn't think like a caveman would do. The English on the other hand.....oog oog, foot ugk ugk ball "scratches head"

So much fail in the last paragraph.

pastro243 said:

So much fail in the last paragraph.

Well, I'd wager it's only because he's annoyed at the "lazy" attitude some members here have against Americans. I call it lazy because they really don't know what they're talking about and are too lazy to bother looking past their  own countries' stereotypical views.

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:

Well, I'd wager it's only because he's annoyed at the "lazy" attitude some members here have against Americans. I call it lazy because they really don't know what they're talking about and are too lazy to bother looking past their  own countries' stereotypical views.

Well, there are stereotypes flying every way here, that's not a good reason, as paragraphs like that only make people believe those stereotypes more and more.

Around the Network

Like it or not, Football is N1 sport in 226 countries. Handegg is N1 only in one. Nuff said.

Farmageddon said:
Vertigo-X said:

Well, there are stereotypes flying every way here, that's not a good reason, as paragraphs like that only make people believe those stereotypes more and more.

Aye, I agree with you.

The BuShA owns all!

BrayanA said:

Like it or not, Football is N1 sport in 226 countries. Handegg is N1 only in one. Nuff said.

What exactly does that prove? Most Americans just don't care that the rest of the world likes soccer more than we do. We'll get along just fine watching the Gridiron on Sundays. Get over the fact that we have different tastes.

BrayanA said:

1. Are you sure about that 226 number?

2. Since when has popularity ever mattered? Hell, look at music.

3. Thanks for your trolling, have a good day.

who cares why dont they like it? its their loss. they are in minority. we (football fans) are in huge majority. so our opinnion is more important .no one would really give a crap if there was a rugby world cup (i dont think anyone else plays it besides americans), but the entire world is interested in football world cup. again, its their loss, i hope they have fun watching their favourite sport...