By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Albion said:
pastro243 said:
Albion said:
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/06/why_isnt_soccer_more_popular_i.html     ------link.   This is an interesting article on why soccer is'nt more popular in America. What do you think about this?

I dont know why its not popular in general.But.

One thing I know is they look like dumb pussy's When they are trying bait the ref to call penelties.

I can't watch it just on that fact alone. Its at that moment that i lose intrest and never want to watch

a bunch of pussy's baiting ref's like no real men with any respect for themself would ever do.

I think acting like this is viewed mostly as a loser's attitude. Winners walk it off.

You know the saying "Take it like a man"  Soccer players never hurd of this saying.

You know, its easy to say it, but running as fast as you can while controlling a ball and getting hit in the  ankles by a guy thats running at the same speed isnt something you would like. Besides, allowing violence would make it a dumb sport, skillfull players would suffer a lot like they did when more hitting was allowed.

Im not saying they dont get hurt really bad sometimes.  Its just we have WWF here in America. If i wanted to watch fake shit id watch that.

5% of the time they actually are hurt. 95% of the other time they are trying to bait ref's. I think people see that and its annoying. So its working against itself. They just oversell it its rediculouse.

Thats my opinion.

As far as hockey well it is sadistic most the time. But so am I

it's the same thing in the NBA.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Kasz216 said:
hobbit said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I blame football.  Most people here favor football out of all the sports.  This leads to a smaller viewer base for other sports like Soccer, plus it means most good athletes end up playing football (or even basketball and baseball), thus making soccer less exciting than it is in other regions.

Nobody here goes to watch the New Orleans Storm, for example, because the team really isn't very good, especially compared to teams from other countries.  They probably play on the level of university teams from places like England.

There is no real reason that we can't have a top level Soccer team if the money was there.

I mean, while having physical freaks is good, it's usually the smaller guys who play well in Soccer.

I think it's just more a matter of the prestige being there and the economic benefits not being prevelevent until higschool and by then you've lost a lot of important time developing.  The MLS salaries aren't remotley similar to other salaries.

It'd be interesting if the US ever did become interested in Soccer though... and it's something the rest of Europe probably shouldn't want.

Truth is, if Americans got behind it, they'd probably outbuy  the Premier league on players or atleast a number of them shifting the best talent overseas and causing it to be played in the middle of the night.... and dragging down the champions league with it too since there isn't any American Champions league representation nor should their considering geography.

Central and South America may enjoy that though.

Actually there is a concacaf champions league.

No kidding?

I only watcht he Premier League myself.  I mean, it's the best league... and I don't have any hometown affiliation to any MLS team anyway.

You should watch other leagues like spanish or argentinian, english playing, like we saw today in england vs the US(similar type of gameplay) has lots of vertigo but in my opinnion lacks in ball control.

And you are missing great players that prefer to go to spain or italy.

I think this is the main reason why england couldnt beat the USA today, they didnt show a style that wouldve worked better(put a player like messi or any small and fast one and they wouldve created many fouls/chances).

We had both Sean Wight-Phillips and Lennon on the wings. Unfortunately, they're not that good...

Thanks for making this my biggest thread ever. lol

The NFL is just more popular here in America. I"ve been watching American football since I was nine. It's just the culture I was brought up in. It's my favorite sport. I don't hate soccer,but I'm just not into it. I respect it thought.

Probably because americans don't like the sport as much; football is much more popular here, and probably because it that its also called football (or Association Football) everywhere else. Plus football is not as as international as soccer.

Around the Network
donathos said:
Lord Flashheart said:

So you admit it's a nick name. Therefore Football is its real name.

I didn't mean on here Yankees have been telling people to call football soccer.

Actually they have. Look at the comment above you.

But... there's no such thing as a "real name" here.  Like in my previous post, I'd mentioned that we (Americans) call Deutschland "Germany."  The Germans call it Deutschland (at least, I believe; I've never been and I don't speak German), so it seems that by your rationale, that's its "real name."  But there's no disrespect meant in calling it Germany and neither is it a display of arrogance to do so.

The point is, what you call "football"... its *real name*, here in the States, is "soccer."  That's simply what we call it, just like I've heard that the British call gasoline "petrol," police officers "bobbies," and french fries "chips."  None of these terms are better or worse than any other; we just use different words.

As an American, I'd never insist that anyone say "soccer" instead of "football"; why should I, so long as we both know what sport we're talking about?  However, I think it's perfectly fine for me to use the American word for the game, and I think the idea that calling it "soccer" is an example of arrogance is misguided.  On an Internet forum like this one, we have people from all over the world having discussions with one another.  We come from different backgrounds and cultures, and there are differences in our language, too.  We have to understand and respect those differences, which to me means that I call soccer "soccer," you call it football, and all of that is okay.

You're missing the point. The Germany analagy doesn't work. If Soccer is it's real name (I wont mention the american tendancy to rename things they shouldn't) is america then why when yanks enter threads populated by people from outside of america or are in other countries which use its real name do they insist on calling it soccer? Even to the point arguing that the people in the countries they are guest in are wrong for using its real name and should call it by the nicjk name yanks use?

What do you call that?

It's just a matter of custom to me, basketball and baseball were born in america, while soccer was born in europe. In europe almost everyone has a partent or a relative that supports a soccer team since you're a child so it's very easy to get involved and start playing/watching games at that age....I guess the same happens in the US with basketball and baseball teams. Than soccer got popualar quite everywere in the world because it can be easily played by anyone also poor people, it only reaquires a ball and an imaginary or and handcrafted goal.

I don't think the poor argument works. I've seen basketball courts in poor countries or at least hoops. They even have one in the town I live in so they have access it's just that like rounders to baseball, in america they are big sports taught in school and played professionally but in the rest of the world they are meerly pass times that might get used by kids for 5mins in the park.

They aren't taught the game or watched on tv so the kids don't know the rules and have no reason to be interested in them. Also they are busy with many other sports so they don't need nor want a new sport taking up their time.

Cricket is BIG in India especially the slums and they dont have big fields with 20 people to form teams and the right equipment but they manage to play the sport on a big scale. People will always find a way to do what they really want to.

kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Who cares...? They are one country alone on a planet of football lovers.  I dont want them anywhere near the game... they'd only ruin it.

Why analyse it... it really doesnt matter... not even a little bit...

Dont need them.

Are those tears I see coming from your eyes? Don't cry now.

Boo hoo.

kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Who cares...? They are one country alone on a planet of football lovers.  I dont want them anywhere near the game... they'd only ruin it.

Why analyse it... it really doesnt matter... not even a little bit...

Dont need them.

I like it. Think I'm going to follow your advice. They only cause trouble when they talk about, even the aussies know when to shut up and they have zero tact.

This doesn't apply to the ones who genuinely like the sport or those who don't but dont feel the need to hate on it.