By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:

This is why I think Americans hate football.

- The game is too technical.

- The game is too free flowing for them.

- There is no defence team and offense team that interchange on play. Or a guy that comes on to just take penalty kicks lol.

- There is no video replay decisions.

- There is no time outs.

- The game is played in two 45 mins halfs  (90 mins total) other US sports played in quarters (12-15mins). a good 30mins shorter over all with more rest breaks.

- There is no cheerleaders to tap.

- Basketball

- Basketball

-Basketball

-Basketballl

- Your saying people LIKE timeouts?  I mean, I actually do in basketball... it adds an entire new level of strategy into the game.  Most people don't though.

- College Basketball

- Baseball.

Actually I was making comparison to NFL more so than basketball as we are talking about football sport here.

Even though they aren't really football sports. but rather ones with the name in it. 

Also Aussies call Rugby, Rugby only no football in the name as the sport is 99% hands use.

However the fact that you know... Americans do like sports with those qualties defeats your argeument.

Also, no sport is really football... as I've already proven in this thread.  Or they all are.  It's really the same difference depending on how you view codification.

I am awear that the original name is association football. however use some common sense why people in other countries don't consider the other sports football

FOOT ball = using your foot on a ball.  

Soccer = 98% of the time foot ( other 2% head, chest and goal keeper uses hands)

Aussie Rules = 50% of the time foot

NFL = only punter kicks so what 1% of the game involves foot?

Rugby = similar to NFL

I was about to say this, only in Rugby, kicking is a far more important part of the game than in NFL. Kicking for territory is essential part of the modern game. More like 5% foot.

Around the Network

And for those who say there aren't many goals in football, that's true. But the that's because they're playing at such a high level of football. To score it takes a lot of skill, team work and technique, or something rather special from an individual to produce a goal, so when they do happen, it can be extra special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMIILBHTsfc&feature=related

They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing :P

Don't worry America, Aussies aren't big fans of soccer either. You're not alone in your dislike!

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Goodfella said:

The abundance of rednecks lol

I hope USA squashes England :)

and i hope ROONEY kicks hard in USA's hopes

I hope Tim Howard kicks Roony in the nuts  lol

Goodfella said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Goodfella said:

The abundance of rednecks lol

I hope USA squashes England :)

and i hope ROONEY kicks hard in USA's hopes

I hope Tim Howard kicks Roony in the nuts  lol

yes TIM HOWARD will cause ROONEY will score goals against him

i think ROONEY will be fine with it as long as USA loses

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Because soccer is stupid.

Haha pretty much this.

I really have nothing against the sport of soccer.  A lot of people like it and that's cool.  I like to watch it from time to time but I can watch almost any sport (except the WNBA haha).  

Seriously though, I would like to see hockey become increasingly more popular in America.  Loved the sport for quite some time now but not a lot of others do.  I also think it is one of the most difficult sports to play and up there with baseball.  Just a lot of finessed technique and athleticism involved.  

But let people like their different sports and deal with it.  As a former athlete, I never understood why people liked basketball all that much.  Was dull to me and didn't take much talent imo (a ball in a hoop hell I can do that).  But ever sport has its challenges and passionate fans to enjoy it (except the WNBA so let's just leave it at that.  

There is so much stupidity in this thread that I don't know where to begin. Why isn't soccer more popular in the US? Simple. Most of the popular sports in the US had established professional sports leagues in long ago. Major League Baseball has been around since 1869, The National Football League has been around since 1920, The National Basketball Association was founded in 1946. Each of those leagues have been a constant presence in the US since their inception. No Soccer league was able to entrench itself. While there professional leagues established in the early 20 century, the ASL comes to mine, they were regional for the most part confined to the Northeastern part of the US. 

Also calling people the US, Yankees or Yanks is ignorant. That may fly in the North Eastern U.S. but calling someone a Yankee in the Southeastern part of the country could be a serious issue. 

It is popular, very popular, just watch argentina, brazil and other american countries, its the biggest sport.

On the USA thing, I think they use sports as an excuse to eat a lot and watch stupid commercials, and football doesnt have much time for those things.

FootballFan said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

Your average American can't really relate to Football.

They like everything to be big, Soccer players aren't big enough. Big cars, big houses, big national debt, big "Football" Players and big Basketball Players. Soccer players are too small in comparison to your standard Joe Bloggs who likes to eat at Mcdonalds.

In addition, American's are very patriotic, supporting a different countries domestic league would be like been friendly to the French, it's something that doesn't happen.

Following on from the last point, USA usually dominates the world in virtually every sense, therefore selecting sports which only themselves play in order to be champions is always a recipe for success.

It would be to intense a workout (for many) to be running for extended periods of time without scoring a goal. Without having grown up involved in the sport their is little reasons for American's to bother to include themselves in it.

Fun fact... the Uk's external national debt is higher then the US.

That's almost as scary as the prospect of losing tomorrow....ok I had to keep it Football related

Nah, I wouldn't say it's nearly as scary.

It reminds me when 75% or maybe it was higher... percent of Mexicans said it would be a national tradgedy if the US beat them.

It's why I won't really care too much if (and probably when) the USA loses, maybe even to Algeria too.

Truth is... most countries care about Soccer like the US does all of it's sports combined.

Winning won't mean nearly as much to us as losing will to another country.

Perhaps your right. Apparently their is going to be 22 million people in England watching the game against USA. That is  2/5's of the population....Incredible really.

Honestly, that's less then I would of thought.  I'm just pumped I have tommorrow off.  All I hope is that the US keeps it competitive.

For a comparrison to show the difference though... something like 15 million is what is expected in the US.  That's less not even considering the populaton difference.

Still... not too shabby if it pans out that high.

Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:

Still I would take Baseball, NFL, Ice Hockey, and basketball over Soccer any day of the week in spite of the fact that we don't have more than marginal national interest in any of those sports and Soccer dwarfs all of them in my country by a margin of 10:1 combined. Its all about what you like to watch and you wouldn't catch me watching a soccer game even if it was the world cup final.

Out of interest, what about football (soccer) do you find boring to watch? I find it far faster and entertaining than either baseball or NFL.

I just feel that nothing really happens. They move quickly but theres very little chance any one attack will actually do anything. Score lines of 0:1 or 0:0 are way too common. Baseball is interesting because every time the batter goes out to hit theres a decent chance something will happen and NFL is the same because its unpredictable.

Tease.