By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

I think if the England Us game ends in a draw more people here will understand how the draws today actually affect the tournament beyond it simply being 1-1 or a dull 0-0 game.

Of course that would take a miracle to happen as England will win 8-0

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

No.... what I said was... you know if you'd actually read is... plenty of people call Rugby Football.

NONE of them are Football.

They are all in the grouping of Football.

There is no sport actually named football.  There is American Football, Rugby Football and Assosiation Football.

None of them are "football".  Soccer has NO greater claim to the name football then Rugby does.

Yes it does. It had the name first all the rest are offshoots and in some cases offshoots of offshoots.

Assosiation Football itself is an offshoot.  It was an offshoot the minute they codified it.

You can't look at one offshoot and say it's the "real one" because you deem it's changes less important then another.

Your apply the definition of "football" which you've taken from assosiation football and are applying it backwords through time to try and make your point. 

Not so. The minute they finalised the rules it was simply more of the evolution of the sport leading from where it started to where it is today. By your logic Football today is an offshoot of football 20 years ago as the rules were different.

The comment you made (again poorly trying to put words in my mouth) about the real one (one you deem an offshoot because it suits you) being more important than the offshoots is laughable. My favourite sport more, far more than Real Football, is one off those offshoots of an offshoot.

Real Football. i like that.

Lol, fancy me using the history of Real Football to prove it's Real Football.

Or you could say the same thing about Rugby... which is the point you keep ignoring.  Maybe Rugby is the real codification?    

Your just.... wrong.  It's so obvious based on simple logic.

Assosation Football now vs 20 years ago is differnet because it was after it was codified.  Big difference. 

Anything invented before codification, and it's offshoots = Football.  Period.

Your trying to apply a definition backwords in time... and that clearly doesn't work.

This is why I think Americans hate football.

- The game is too technical.

- The game is too free flowing for them.

- There is no defence team and offense team that interchange on play. Or a guy that comes on to just take penalty kicks lol.

- There is no video replay decisions.

- There is no time outs.

- The game is played in two 45 mins halfs  (90 mins total) other US sports played in quarters (12-15mins). a good 30mins shorter over all with more rest breaks.

- There is no cheerleaders to tap.

Lord Flashheart said:

I think if the England Us game ends in a draw more people here will understand how the draws today actually affect the tournament beyond it simply being 1-1 or a dull 0-0 game.

Of course that would take a miracle to happen as England will win 8-0

Nah, it'll be an England win of 2-0. It has to.

Cobretti2 said:

- There is no defence team and offense team that interchange on play. Or a guy that comes on to just take penalty kicks lol.

- There is no time outs.

- The game is played in two 45 mins halfs  (90 mins total) other US sports played in quarters (12-15mins). a good 30mins shorter over all with more rest breaks.

- Basketball.  Really you could argue American Football as well.  You have to memorize some huge ass playbooks to play the game.

- Basketball

-Basketball

-Basketballl

- Your saying people LIKE timeouts?  I mean, I actually do in basketball... it adds an entire new level of strategy into the game.  Most people don't though.

- College Basketball

- Baseball.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:

- There is no time outs.

- Basketball

- Basketball

-Basketball

-Basketballl

- Your saying people LIKE timeouts?  I mean, I actually do in basketball... it adds an entire new level of strategy into the game.  Most people don't though.

- College Basketball

- Baseball.

Actually I was making comparison to NFL more so than basketball as we are talking about football sport here.

Even though they aren't really football sports. but rather ones with the name in it. 

Also Aussies call Rugby, Rugby only no football in the name as the sport is 99% hands use.

I just can't see how soccer if fast paced. I mean, yes they run, but that's about it. The only sense of urgency comes when you're close to the goal, and that's what? About 5-10 mins of actual game time? How many shots are taken during a typical soccer game?

Highlight plays! Not counting goal-scoring (if there are any goals scored), how many plays can you put on a soccer highlight reel?

In basketball, you can show someone being dunked over. Grown, 6-and-a-half-foot-tall men, getting jumped over. In football, you can see a man get absolutely leveled, or a 50 yard pass being thrown with pinpoint accuracy to a man who's running full speed, while being covered by another player.

To me, and many other Americans, there's just nothing to get excited over. Kind of like Nascar, where the only exciting parts are the crashes.

Currently playing: Civ 6

Your average American can't really relate to Football.

They like everything to be big, Soccer players aren't big enough. Big cars, big houses, big national debt, big "Football" Players and big Basketball Players. Soccer players are too small in comparison to your standard Joe Bloggs who likes to eat at Mcdonalds.

In addition, American's are very patriotic, supporting a different countries domestic league would be like been friendly to the French, it's something that doesn't happen.

Following on from the last point, USA usually dominates the world in virtually every sense, therefore selecting sports which only themselves play in order to be champions is always a recipe for success.

It would be to intense a workout (for many) to be running for extended periods of time without scoring a goal. Without having grown up involved in the sport their is little reasons for American's to bother to include themselves in it.

FootballFan said:

Your average American can't really relate to Football.

They like everything to be big, Soccer players aren't big enough. Big cars, big houses, big national debt, big "Football" Players and big Basketball Players. Soccer players are too small in comparison to your standard Joe Bloggs who likes to eat at Mcdonalds.

In addition, American's are very patriotic, supporting a different countries domestic league would be like been friendly to the French, it's something that doesn't happen.

Following on from the last point, USA usually dominates the world in virtually every sense, therefore selecting sports which only themselves play in order to be champions is always a recipe for success.

It would be to intense a workout (for many) to be running for extended periods of time without scoring a goal. Without having grown up involved in the sport their is little reasons for American's to bother to include themselves in it.

Fun fact... the Uk's external national debt is higher then the US.

cdude1034 said:

I just can't see how soccer if fast paced. I mean, yes they run, but that's about it. The only sense of urgency comes when you're close to the goal, and that's what? About 5-10 mins of actual game time? How many shots are taken during a typical soccer game?

Highlight plays! Not counting goal-scoring (if there are any goals scored), how many plays can you put on a soccer highlight reel?

In basketball, you can show someone being dunked over. Grown, 6-and-a-half-foot-tall men, getting jumped over. In football, you can see a man get absolutely leveled, or a 50 yard pass being thrown with pinpoint accuracy to a man who's running full speed, while being covered by another player.

To me, and many other Americans, there's just nothing to get excited over. Kind of like Nascar, where the only exciting parts are the crashes.

Thing is, there is a "sense of urgency" on the midfield too. If a team can't create oportunities trough their midfield, the other team will usually start pressuring more, which tends to end in it scoring.You also know it'll be hard for your team to score. Antecipation and tension building are a big part of soccer for fans.

Many goals also come from mistakes in this area. Effective midfield play is actually incredibly important to the game, so if you're apprensive over the result, you'll be at just about any and every moment. Sure, it's not as good for random impressive highlights, but that's not the point of the game, and maybe that's even part of the reason anglo americans don't like it as much.

Also, fro mthe cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjSMe7T5rE0

Mexico was a little past the midfield, made a porr pass and South Africa scored. And it all took, like, 10 seconds. My point is, you're never really safe, any mistake can be huge, and since the scores are usually tighter conceading a goal or missing one can be the difference between winning or not. South Africa, at this same game, missed one when the guy was past the goalkeepr and hit the post, they'd have own if they scored.

Point being, tension is always high if actually have something invested on the game, there's no thing as a really safe or (much less yet) non-important moment.