By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

its just that they choose their sports!!,america love violant sports like football(just an opinion)!,so fun,;)

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:
Lord Flashheart said:

You always care more about the result when you put a fiver on it

I actually won the first game, bet on 1x1, and part of the second. I may actually watch games like Serbia and Ghana tahnks to this.

Don't tell me how much you won.

i get greedy and throw on a few bets myself which I lose.

The biggest reason I never get into Soccer/Futbol at the highest level is because it is often to frustrating. Look at the 2 opening matches today in the World Cup both ended up as ties with a total of 2 goals scored.    Not only do we like a little more scoring we like a game to end with a winner. One of the smartest thing the NHL did after the lockout was get rid of ties in Hockey. I have often watched a match where a team dominates and either ties or loses.  Sure that happens in other sports occasionally, but not nearly as much.

I think this in itself limits the popularity here in the U.S.A. 

As for violence as a needed part of it. That isnt it.  Soccer/Futbol can have its violent moments and I believe far more than Basketball and Baseball.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Lord Flashheart said:
Farmageddon said:
Lord Flashheart said:

You always care more about the result when you put a fiver on it

I actually won the first game, bet on 1x1, and part of the second. I may actually watch games like Serbia and Ghana tahnks to this.

Don't tell me how much you won.

i get greedy and throw on a few bets myself which I lose.

Ha, I'll try not to tell then. But gambilng is good for you. Yes it is.

can someone tell me what country the word Futbol cames from?

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

Ok, so according to you... Rugby's real name is Football then.  Yes?

Also, well American Football.... since American Football is derived from the other Footballs and ahs always been called football.

Assosiation football is a descendent of Football.

It is also an offshoot.  Simply study the history of the game and you'll realize that.  The football of old was nothing more then a genus.  Not a Species

Football evolved into Foobtall Rugby - Football Assosiation if you were to look at it from a biological perspective.

You said rugbys real name is football not me. I said they both used it but only when rugby was an offshoot not a fully fledged finalised game. You haven't said which rugby yet either? Just rugby which do you mean?

Football is an evolution of football. Call it association if you want but unlike offshoots and deviations it is the final but still changing product of the orignal games played centuries ago.

As Grid iron is mostly derived from rugby wouldn't rugby fit more? You are a stickler for accuracy. Or your interpretation of it.

No it isn't.   You can't look at one group of changes over another and say "Oh but these changes are different."

THAT is ignorance.

Either they are both football.  Or they are both Deviants.  Your choice.  This included American Football in this as well really.  All three are Football or aren't.

You know.  Like how all squares a rectangles but not all rectangles are squares?

As for American Football being called Rugby... no that isn't more accurate.

As stated Football is the grouping.  Not the sports name.

American Football's grouping is still in fact football.   Just like Assosiation and Rugby Football.

Or Canadian Football/Arena Football which are actually different.

What are you going on about?

You tried to argue that Football is rugby because the aussies say so. That Grid Iron is called football because yanks have always called it so? You said that yanks shouldn't call it football before that but American football. What is it?

Ignorance of the highest order.

I never said the variations of football shouldn't use the name somewhere in its title or they dont belong in the grouping  but that football is the original therefore most deserving of the name and was the first to have it. You said it shouldn't be called football but soccer and Grid iron should be called football!?! Where do you think the football in Grid iron came from? Yanks happened to choose that name for a sport where you use you hands? You have contradicted yourself and keep poorly I might add  trying to put words in my mouth.

Maybe you need to sit down.

What game does grid iron more closely resemble? Football or rugby? Where did it borrow most of it's rules from when starting out?

Maybe you should look up the history of a sport you claim to like

No.... what I said was... you know if you'd actually read is... plenty of people call Rugby Football.

NONE of them are Football.

They are all in the grouping of Football.

There is no sport actually named football.  There is American Football, Rugby Football and Assosiation Football.

None of them are "football".  Soccer has NO greater claim to the name football then Rugby does... or American Football for that matter.

It's the grouping.  Not the sport.

thx1139 said:

The biggest reason I never get into Soccer/Futbol at the highest level is because it is often to frustrating. Look at the 2 opening matches today in the World Cup both ended up as ties with a total of 2 goals scored.    Not only do we like a little more scoring we like a game to end with a winner. One of the smartest thing the NHL did after the lockout was get rid of ties in Hockey. I have often watched a match where a team dominates and either ties or loses.  Sure that happens in other sports occasionally, but not nearly as much.

I think this in itself limits the popularity here in the U.S.A. 

As for violence as a needed part of it. That isnt it.  Soccer/Futbol can have its violent moments and I believe far more than Basketball and Baseball.

And... waaaaay more the Baseball in anycase.

Baseball is an individual sport that mascarades as a team sport.

ShadowSnake said:

there are a lot of reasons. cultural differences and not much exposure start it off. then you also gotta deal with the diversity of different sports and the resources north americans have at playing those other sports (something which is lacking in poorer regions).

also, when all the the major leagues are in europe, it's much tougher to get a following. As a canadian-italian, sure I go for italy in the world cup, and I somewhat follow serie a and root for ac milan, but what identity do i really have attached to milan if they win the champions league or the italian cup? this leads to americans rooting for the american team. but if the majority of people aren't good at something. they won't be interested in it. and this hatin' on americans is really stupid because nobody likes stuff they're not good at.

finally, and again, this hatin' on how americans are arrogant is just plain stupid and just shameful on everyone who made those comments. not to say that the stupid comments about soccer from the americans are any better.

also, the comments that americans are ignorant to the skill and strategy involved in soccer/football are really uncalled by those of you who followed them up with comments about how hockey and american football are just violent dramatic games and baseball is boring when you don't understand the skill and strategy involved in them either. you bash the sports for being too stop-start-stop but that is actually what allows for the in-depth strategy that is at play behind north american sports
(and to the person who mentioned wrestling as an example of americans liking violent sports, if you're talking about what's shown on tv like the wwf and not the sport showcased in the olympics, that's not a sport, everyone knows it's just a show)

pretty much this....

it just didnt catch on here in america whereas (american) football did. its a culture thing. neither sport is bad. they are just different and click with different people.

Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

You tried to argue that Football is rugby because the aussies say so. That Grid Iron is called football because yanks have always called it so? You said that yanks shouldn't call it football before that but American football. What is it?

I never said the variations of football shouldn't use the name somewhere in its title or they dont belong in the grouping  but that football is the original therefore most deserving of the name and was the first to have it. You said it shouldn't be called football but soccer and Grid iron should be called football!?! Where do you think the football in Grid iron came from? Yanks happened to choose that name for a sport where you use you hands? You have contradicted yourself and keep poorly I might add  trying to put words in my mouth.

What game does grid iron more closely resemble? Football or rugby? Where did it borrow most of it's rules from when starting out?

No.... what I said was... you know if you'd actually read is... plenty of people call Rugby Football.

There is no sport actually named football.  There is American Football, Rugby Football and Assosiation Football.

None of them are "football".  Soccer has NO greater claim to the name football then Rugby does.

Yes it does. It had the name first all the rest are offshoots and in some cases offshoots of offshoots.

Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

None of them are "football".  Soccer has NO greater claim to the name football then Rugby does.

Yes it does. It had the name first all the rest are offshoots and in some cases offshoots of offshoots.

Assosiation Football itself is an offshoot.  It was an offshoot the minute they codified it.

You can't look at one offshoot and say it's the "real one" because you deem it's changes less important then another.

Your apply the definition of "football" which you've taken from assosiation football and are applying it backwords through time to try and make your point. 

My point is simple and consistant.  Either they are all football.  Or they all aren't football.  It's an opinion either way, but it's really the only way it works.