By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport. 

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

Definitely.  There are several powerhouses and they would be competeing with Brazil, Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, England, Spain and many others. 

If they do win  the World Cup in the next 30-40 years I'd be surprised though.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

I just find soccer/futbol/whatever boring. You can go an entire game and only see 1 or 2 goals scored.

cause both defense and attack and midfield have importance here

amp316 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport. 

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

Definitely.  There are several powerhouses and they would be competeing with Brazil, Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, England, Spain and many others. 

If they do win  the World Cup in the next 30-40 years I'd be surprised though.

Me too.  I think one thing that really hurts it is the Premier league being in England, and the Champions League in Europe.

You just aren't exposed to it much, outside of what you play as a child and World Cup wise.

So the thought that "Hey I can make a crappload of money doing this" won't set in until later on in life... when kids from other countries are already drilling themselves hard.

I'd say it's about 20-30 years away from the time when American salaries rival that of other sports... even then... it'd be tough.

Like I've said at the beginning of this thread, soccer is for kids here.

Many many kids, including me, played soccer when they were young but the interest just go away with time.

It's just too simple. Plus it's one of the most boring sport to watch on TV.

I don't know anybody older than 15 years old who plays soccer.

I guess we see it more like a game than a sport hence why it's more popular amongst kids.

And it's called Soccer. Why? Because there's no other common name for American Football. It was the first time I heard of Handegg.

Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Football was still called football long before the rules were formalised. True that Rugby and Football used the name but then rugby changed it and later football adjusted its to include association to avoid confusion. Doesn't change the fact it was called football from the start (or near abouts) and isn't called association football unless on a legal document or if you are a Yank being difficult. Also doesn't change the fact that the name Soccer came after association.

Everything was callled Football.  Rugby didn't actually change it's name.  Ask Australia what a football club is.  They'll point you to a Rugby club.

Most of the world just uses the wrong name, because it's easier for them.  It's still the wrong name.  So getting on people who call american football, football is about the clearest definition of hypocricy you could have.

American football has ALWAYS just been called Football.

Including Legal documents.... so if that's the arguement path you want to go down... you are argueing your own defeat.

Really Australians? Did they invent either sport? How long after the games, rules, names had been established did they start playing football or rugby. Either code.

What first had the name of football in regards to the major sports played today. Don't need to get into eton wall games and the such. If you are you saying that rugby and football were the same sport then which changed first? Bear in mind the date from this quote

"Edward II became involved in the debate on football and in 1314 complained about "certain tumults arising from great footballs in the fields of the public, from which many evils may arise."

Rugby grew out of one of the many variations of Football around the country.

GridIron has been called a decendant of Rugby so Yanks calling it football are getting it wrong for a whole new reason.

And when was Australia discovered?

Also most of the world gets the name wrong? Most of the world calls Football Football

Football has ALWAYS been called football.  Trying to argue that because  years later they added association then saying that later still some parts of sociaty  called it soccer so soccer is it's real name is setting up your own defeat.

trying to say random country's sports which you acknowledge as being decendants of football call it something different so 1000 years (older than both countries) of history is null makes me laugh.

As for legal documents, well I was trying to find a time when someone would use association and that was the best i could come up with. But you're right I was wrong. Most simply say football especially outside of England.

Ok, so according to you... Rugby's real name is Football then.  Yes?

Also, well American Football.... since American Football is derived from the other Footballs and ahs always been called football.

Assosiation football is a descendent of Football.

It is also an offshoot.  Simply study the history of the game and you'll realize that.  The football of old was nothing more then a genus.  Not a Species

Football evolved into Foobtall Rugby - Football Assosiation if you were to look at it from a biological perspective.

You said rugbys real name is football not me. I said they both used it but only when rugby was an offshoot not a fully fledged finalised game. You haven't said which rugby yet either? Just rugby which do you mean?

Football is an evolution of football. Call it association if you want but unlike offshoots and deviations it is the final but still changing product of the orignal games played centuries ago.

As Grid iron is mostly derived from rugby wouldn't rugby fit more? You are a stickler for accuracy. Or your interpretation of it.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Many many kids, including me, played soccer when they were young but the interest just go away with time.

I guess we see it more like a game than a sport hence why it's more popular amongst kids.

And it's called Soccer. Why? Because there's no other common name for American Football. It was the first time I heard of Handegg.

It's called soccer where you are. Bit of an important point. That American arrogance that someone mentioned showing itself.

The other common names for American football are American football, Grid Iron, Hand egg, under 13's padded touch rugby union.

Lord Flashheart said:
Boutros said:

It's called soccer where you are. Bit of an important point. That American arrogance that someone mentioned showing itself.

The other common names for American football are American football, Grid Iron, Hand egg, under 13's padded touch rugby union.

American Football is not popular here either you know. I'm from Canada btw.

Both are dread sport here.

Boutros said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Boutros said:

American Football is not popular here either you know. I'm from Canada btw.

Both are dread sport here.

Lol, Still stands about it being an important point to say its called soccer where you are.

Sorry for insulting you. Off now to call a jock English and a Kiwi Australian.

Now where's Squilliam.

sguy78 said:
blunty51 said:

It's just difference of cultures. It's going to take decades before kids play soccer and grow up to strive to play professionally in the U.S. on a more mainstream basis. Everyone grows up (even though they might still play football) with all the other sports the U.S. being more successful, and with a lot more hype around it.

Football is going to have to reach that level, but only after a lot of years of grooming it to be on the level of what Americans think of pigskin/baseball/basketball

I grew up in the eighties, and we all the kids played in soccer leagues during the summer. The same thing was said back then about American kids growing up playing, and then becooming fans of soccer. I loved to play it. Guess what, I can't sit through more than five minutes of it before wanting to change the channel. It's just not something we like to watch for the most part.

Well I ain't gonna lie, I don't watch soccer at all. I also used to play it a lot when I was a kid too, but then moved on to other things. That in a country where soccer (and cricket) are THE sports. The thing is, the likelihood of what happened to me and you is much larger in the U.S. than my country, or anywhere else really, and I just think it's because of the reasons I mentioned. It's not being groomed as a sport with continuity throughout all phases of your life, the other sports are getting a lot more attention, as has always been the case over the decades. They need generational encouragement where someone's grandfather or whoever tells the tale of his glory soccer days, where the kids take that inspiration throughout life. This is just a very small example tho.

Because soccer is a boring sport. Canada/USA realize this, the rest of the world doesn't.