By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

I think the most simple reason why soccer is not that big in Amercia is we like to use our hands. Anything from swing a bat or tennis racquet, shoot a basketball, racing, to throwing a football.

Thus soccer is a handicap sport.

Around the Network

football and basketball are very similar :S

I stoped there.

Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Football was still called football long before the rules were formalised. True that Rugby and Football used the name but then rugby changed it and later football adjusted its to include association to avoid confusion. Doesn't change the fact it was called football from the start (or near abouts) and isn't called association football unless on a legal document or if you are a Yank being difficult. Also doesn't change the fact that the name Soccer came after association.

Everything was callled Football.  Rugby didn't actually change it's name.  Ask Australia what a football club is.  They'll point you to a Rugby club.

Most of the world just uses the wrong name, because it's easier for them.  It's still the wrong name.  So getting on people who call american football, football is about the clearest definition of hypocricy you could have.

American football has ALWAYS just been called Football.

Including Legal documents.... so if that's the arguement path you want to go down... you are argueing your own defeat.

Really Australians? Did they invent either sport? How long after the games, rules, names had been established did they start playing football or rugby. Either code.

What first had the name of football in regards to the major sports played today. Don't need to get into eton wall games and the such. If you are you saying that rugby and football were the same sport then which changed first? Bear in mind the date from this quote

"Edward II became involved in the debate on football and in 1314 complained about "certain tumults arising from great footballs in the fields of the public, from which many evils may arise."

Rugby grew out of one of the many variations of Football around the country.

GridIron has been called a decendant of Rugby so Yanks calling it football are getting it wrong for a whole new reason.

And when was Australia discovered?

Also most of the world gets the name wrong? Most of the world calls Football Football

Football has ALWAYS been called football.  Trying to argue that because  years later they added association then saying that later still some parts of sociaty  called it soccer so soccer is it's real name is setting up your own defeat.

trying to say random country's sports which you acknowledge as being decendants of football call it something different so 1000 years (older than both countries) of history is null makes me laugh.

As for legal documents, well I was trying to find a time when someone would use association and that was the best i could come up with. But you're right I was wrong. Most simply say football especially outside of England.

Ok, so according to you... Rugby's real name is Football then.  Yes?

Also, well American Football.... since American Football is derived from the other Footballs and ahs always been called football.

Assosiation football is a descendent of Football.

It is also an offshoot.  Simply study the history of the game and you'll realize that.  The football of old was nothing more then a genus.  Not a Species

Football evolved into Foobtall Rugby - Football Assosiation if you were to look at it from a biological perspective.

You said rugbys real name is football not me. I said they both used it but only when rugby was an offshoot not a fully fledged finalised game. You haven't said which rugby yet either? Just rugby which do you mean?

Football is an evolution of football. Call it association if you want but unlike offshoots and deviations it is the final but still changing product of the orignal games played centuries ago.

As Grid iron is mostly derived from rugby wouldn't rugby fit more? You are a stickler for accuracy. Or your interpretation of it.

No it isn't.   You can't look at one group of changes over another and say "Oh but these changes are different."

THAT is ignorance.

Either they are both football.  Or they are both Deviants.  Your choice.  This included American Football in this as well really.  All three are Football or aren't.

You know.  Like how all squares a rectangles but not all rectangles are squares?

As for American Football being called Rugby... no that isn't more accurate.

As stated Football is the grouping.  Not the sports name.

American Football's grouping is still in fact football.   Just like Assosiation and Rugby Football.

Or Canadian Football/Arena Football which are actually different.

tombi123 said:
Kasz216 said:
Pharaoh said:

by the way the France vs. Uraguay game is STILL 0-0 two hours.  That is why.  I really am trying to like this sport, its just really really hard.  I will be rooting for the U.S. tomorrow though, even though I will have to watch it on mute because of those damn horns, which make no sense

I thought it was a good game.  It showed a France team that was performing better, but just couldn't break through.  Like watching two pitchers dueling in baseball, one doing a little worse but being picked up by superior fielding.

I was just about to say that I would hate anyone to judge football based on that game. I thought it was dull as hell. 

If you want to be able to appreciate football just type in Lionel Messi into youtube... lol

Maybe it's just that I'm still pissed at the French and don't believe they deserve to be here. First with the cheating, and second with FIFA rigging the seeding to decide who's in and who isn't in the first place.

Nothing would be more just then an embarrising first round exit.

there are a lot of reasons. cultural differences and not much exposure start it off. then you also gotta deal with the diversity of different sports and the resources north americans have at playing those other sports (something which is lacking in poorer regions).

also, when all the the major leagues are in europe, it's much tougher to get a following. As a canadian-italian, sure I go for italy in the world cup, and I somewhat follow serie a and root for ac milan, but what identity do i really have attached to milan if they win the champions league or the italian cup? this leads to americans rooting for the american team. but if the majority of people aren't good at something. they won't be interested in it. and this hatin' on americans is really stupid because nobody likes stuff they're not good at.

finally, and again, this hatin' on how americans are arrogant is just plain stupid and just shameful on everyone who made those comments. not to say that the stupid comments about soccer from the americans are any better.

also, the comments that americans are ignorant to the skill and strategy involved in soccer/football are really uncalled by those of you who followed them up with comments about how hockey and american football are just violent dramatic games and baseball is boring when you don't understand the skill and strategy involved in them either. you bash the sports for being too stop-start-stop but that is actually what allows for the in-depth strategy that is at play behind north american sports
(and to the person who mentioned wrestling as an example of americans liking violent sports, if you're talking about what's shown on tv like the wwf and not the sport showcased in the olympics, that's not a sport, everyone knows it's just a show)

Around the Network

Thankfully though I have the next couple days off so i can watch some world cup.

Even before I liked Soccer in general... I loved the world cup.

Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

Ok, so according to you... Rugby's real name is Football then.  Yes?

Also, well American Football.... since American Football is derived from the other Footballs and ahs always been called football.

Assosiation football is a descendent of Football.

It is also an offshoot.  Simply study the history of the game and you'll realize that.  The football of old was nothing more then a genus.  Not a Species

Football evolved into Foobtall Rugby - Football Assosiation if you were to look at it from a biological perspective.

You said rugbys real name is football not me. I said they both used it but only when rugby was an offshoot not a fully fledged finalised game. You haven't said which rugby yet either? Just rugby which do you mean?

Football is an evolution of football. Call it association if you want but unlike offshoots and deviations it is the final but still changing product of the orignal games played centuries ago.

As Grid iron is mostly derived from rugby wouldn't rugby fit more? You are a stickler for accuracy. Or your interpretation of it.

No it isn't.   You can't look at one group of changes over another and say "Oh but these changes are different."

THAT is ignorance.

Either they are both football.  Or they are both Deviants.  Your choice.  This included American Football in this as well really.  All three are Football or aren't.

You know.  Like how all squares a rectangles but not all rectangles are squares?

As for American Football being called Rugby... no that isn't more accurate.

As stated Football is the grouping.  Not the sports name.

American Football's grouping is still in fact football.   Just like Assosiation and Rugby Football.

Or Canadian Football/Arena Football which are actually different.

What are you going on about?

You tried to argue that Football is rugby because the aussies say so. That Grid Iron is called football because yanks have always called it so? You said that yanks shouldn't call it football before that but American football. What is it?

Ignorance of the highest order.

I never said the variations of football shouldn't use the name somewhere in its title or they dont belong in the grouping  but that football is the original therefore most deserving of the name and was the first to have it. You said it shouldn't be called football but soccer and Grid iron should be called football!?! Where do you think the football in Grid iron came from? Yanks happened to choose that name for a sport where you use you hands? You have contradicted yourself and keep poorly I might add  trying to put words in my mouth.

Maybe you need to sit down.

What game does grid iron more closely resemble? Football or rugby? Where did it borrow most of it's rules from when starting out?

Maybe you should look up the history of a sport you claim to like

Pharaoh said:
Trying to get into the world cup by watching the south africa vs. mexico and now the france match but watching just strengthens why americans hate this "sport".

1) The stupid horns. I have to watch with the mute button on or else my head will explode. They don't even blow them for any reason, i.e. when their team is on defense.
2) THE HORNS. Its like hearing a baby slowly skinned alive.
3) Both games are scoreless the whole first half!! What a waste of time.

4) The game ends in a tie! Its not a competitive sport if no one wins. Its basically wasting 2 hours of your life.

5) If the u.s. didn't have football, basketball, baseball, and our athletes grew up playing soccer, this wouldn't even be a contest.  Our athletes are just that much physically better.

People didn't make it clear enought, but for 1) and 2), that's not about soccer at all. Africans like those horns for some reason. I'm brazilian and it actually drives us crazy too. The worse part is that instead of chearing for South Africa they just kept the horns.

Around here the people watching the game on the stadium would be chanting and yealling at players and cheering and booing and shit like that, actually trying to help the team morally. Some team have supporters who do this more than others, but anyway it's a lot different than this random nonsense buzzing.

For 3), well, soccer (I hate people for getting serious when arguing this btw) won't be really interesting unless you either (but preferably both) know it a little better or (and) are actually rooting for someone. But really rooting. Soccer games are a hot topic and whenever your team losses people from a rival team on your city will pick on you and shit like that, so it's taken kinda seriously, there's more involvement, so even if there are no goals, it's still exciting to watch. You trying to "root" for USA on the world cup shouldn't help much, since it doesn't really matter. My suggestion for a quick reason for rooting is betting on the games. I placed bets on every game on the cup, so even the dullest of games will rock.

4) The game may end on a tie, but the game is part of a bigger picture, and someone will win the cup. Every soccer game is like that. You may tie now, but the points you didn't score (or the point you got instead of lossing) can (and most times will) reflect later on.

5) I won't really comment on this. USA would make for a great soccer team if everyone liked soccer like we do elsewhere, it'd be on TOP 10 for sure and would probably have nice chances. But saying it wouldn't even be a contest is just ridiculous.

Anyway, watch a few games, than place a bet on some game, and watch it. If still don't like it, than I guess it's just not for you.

EDIT: It's also worlds better when you're actually o nthe stadium. Btw, a few youtube videos for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6b3MbsbYE (just skip the people speaking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPyAOxCH8I&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p170mCnL0mM&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wijfYU_iwj0&feature=related

And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFIgm2MlUI&feature=related

And it can go like this for the 90 minutes.

You always care more about the result when you put a fiver on it

Lord Flashheart said:

You always care more about the result when you put a fiver on it

I actually won the first game, bet on 1x1, and part of the second. I may actually watch games like Serbia and Ghana tahnks to this.