By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Lord Flashheart said:

can someone tell me what country the word Futbol cames from?

Think it's spanish. Around here we write it futebol, which sounds just about like football.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:

Football is spelt Futbol in Spanish, Russian and Turkish. It's most commonly called Futbol in Latin America.

Farmageddon said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Think it's spanish. Around here we write it futebol, which sounds just about like football.

Thanks

tombi123 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Football is spelt Futbol in Spanish, Russian and Turkish. It's most commonly called Futbol in Latin America.

A lot of the time in latin America though it's traced back to local games they used to play, rather then Assosiation Soccer.  Really they had fairly similar rules.

The big differnce was it was even harder to score in them.  Tlatchi for example... my god I'd like to say modern day players try and play that.

Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

No.... what I said was... you know if you'd actually read is... plenty of people call Rugby Football.

NONE of them are Football.

They are all in the grouping of Football.

There is no sport actually named football.  There is American Football, Rugby Football and Assosiation Football.

None of them are "football".  Soccer has NO greater claim to the name football then Rugby does.

Yes it does. It had the name first all the rest are offshoots and in some cases offshoots of offshoots.

Assosiation Football itself is an offshoot.  It was an offshoot the minute they codified it.

You can't look at one offshoot and say it's the "real one" because you deem it's changes less important then another.

Your apply the definition of "football" which you've taken from assosiation football and are applying it backwords through time to try and make your point. 

Not so. The minute they finalised the rules it was simply more of the evolution of the sport leading from where it started to where it is today. By your logic Football today is an offshoot of football 20 years ago as the rules were different.

The comment you made (again poorly trying to put words in my mouth) about the real one (one you deem an offshoot because it suits you) being more important than the offshoots is laughable. My favourite sport more, far more than Real Football, is one off those offshoots of an offshoot.

Real Football. i like that.

Lol, fancy me using the history of Real Football to prove it's Real Football.

Around the Network

The problem lies with Americans watching the world cup to get into Association football.  That is the worst thing you can ever do.  It's like watching the Olympics to get into Basketball.  To get into a sport you have to watch the best games, the exciting games.  Like the NBA, not the Basketball Olympics.  In the World cup all th best players in the world go back to their countries to play for them, but to do so most of them take a HUGE pay cut from their league teams.  Also those players play more carefully to avoid injury so they can go back and play for the league.  The exception is Brazil the only country that has all the greats in a single team.  That is why they win a lot.

So the World cup is actually pretty boring to watch until you get into the final rounds, when the best teams play each other and when there has to be a winner.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Kasz216 said:
tombi123 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

A lot of the time in latin America though it's traced back to local games they used to play, rather then Assosiation Soccer.  Really they had fairly similar rules.

The big differnce was it was even harder to score in them.  Tlatchi for example... my god I'd like to say modern day players try and play that.

So it's association soccer now? I thought you said it was association Football and Soccer was a nickname?

I take it you will refer to American Football as American Grid Iron from now on?

Look. I get it. Football did something bad to you once which is why you hate it but really that's childish.

Kasz216 said:
tombi123 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Just looked that Tlatchi up. OMFG. You can't let the (heavy, rubber) ball touch the ground and have to make it go into a 30 cm wide (!) hoop that sits over 2 meters high. And the losers gets to be sacrificed. Holy crap. I mean, just imagine screwing up on a game like these, what you wouldn't get from your team.

Wow!! I entered this thread and I need to correct people on a number of different issues.

1.) It's not just 3rd world countries that play "soccer" believe it or not (just about) every country in the world plays it at an international level including the USA.

2.) Countary to popular belief, "most" games don't end in 0-0 draws. The average is tactical and low scoring matches mean more tention although there is probably a 3 goal average in major competitions.

3.) There are violent injuries in Football, look on youutbe for broken legs and actually seeing them snapping is not nice but then again, you shouldn't want to see anyone get hurt.

4.) "Soccer" is the fastest growing sport in the US and your national team is widley considered in the top 15 in the world. Not bad for a country that takes no interest in the sport...

5.)  Horn blowing isn't usually the dominant aspect of matches. Blame South African's for that....they just can't stop blowing those things

I hope the games will turn around to the more interesting side.  Perhaps I just need a team to root for though like some people said earlier.  I can pretty much guarantee I will be pretty into the USA vs. England match tomorrow, so we will see how I feel about a 0-0 draw or 1-1 draw when the USA is involved(hopefully it will be 7-0 usa).

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made