By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:

This is why I think Americans hate football.

- The game is too technical.

- The game is too free flowing for them.

- There is no defence team and offense team that interchange on play. Or a guy that comes on to just take penalty kicks lol.

- There is no video replay decisions.

- There is no time outs.

- The game is played in two 45 mins halfs  (90 mins total) other US sports played in quarters (12-15mins). a good 30mins shorter over all with more rest breaks.

- There is no cheerleaders to tap.

- Basketball

- Basketball

-Basketball

-Basketballl

- Your saying people LIKE timeouts?  I mean, I actually do in basketball... it adds an entire new level of strategy into the game.  Most people don't though.

- College Basketball

- Baseball.

Actually I was making comparison to NFL more so than basketball as we are talking about football sport here.

Even though they aren't really football sports. but rather ones with the name in it. 

Also Aussies call Rugby, Rugby only no football in the name as the sport is 99% hands use.

However the fact that you know... Americans do like sports with those qualties defeats your argeument.

Also, no sport is really football... as I've already proven in this thread.  Or they all are.  It's really the same difference depending on how you view codification.

Around the Network
Pharaoh said:

I hope the games will turn around to the more interesting side.  Perhaps I just need a team to root for though like some people said earlier.  I can pretty much guarantee I will be pretty into the USA vs. England match tomorrow, so we will see how I feel about a 0-0 draw or 1-1 draw when the USA is involved(hopefully it will be 7-0 usa).

hoprfully it may be england  10-0 USA

and i hope it gives the yanks so much embarresment that they don't jave any confidence left to participate in the other group matches

Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

Your average American can't really relate to Football.

They like everything to be big, Soccer players aren't big enough. Big cars, big houses, big national debt, big "Football" Players and big Basketball Players. Soccer players are too small in comparison to your standard Joe Bloggs who likes to eat at Mcdonalds.

In addition, American's are very patriotic, supporting a different countries domestic league would be like been friendly to the French, it's something that doesn't happen.

Following on from the last point, USA usually dominates the world in virtually every sense, therefore selecting sports which only themselves play in order to be champions is always a recipe for success.

It would be to intense a workout (for many) to be running for extended periods of time without scoring a goal. Without having grown up involved in the sport their is little reasons for American's to bother to include themselves in it.

Fun fact... the Uk's external national debt is higher then the US.

That's almost as scary as the prospect of losing tomorrow....ok I had to keep it Football related

cdude1034 said:

I just can't see how soccer if fast paced. I mean, yes they run, but that's about it. The only sense of urgency comes when you're close to the goal, and that's what? About 5-10 mins of actual game time? How many shots are taken during a typical soccer game?

Highlight plays! Not counting goal-scoring (if there are any goals scored), how many plays can you put on a soccer highlight reel?

In basketball, you can show someone being dunked over. Grown, 6-and-a-half-foot-tall men, getting jumped over. In football, you can see a man get absolutely leveled, or a 50 yard pass being thrown with pinpoint accuracy to a man who's running full speed, while being covered by another player.

To me, and many other Americans, there's just nothing to get excited over. Kind of like Nascar, where the only exciting parts are the crashes.

I never said it was fast paced but free flowing. which means your brain has to be working always, you can't just phase out for a few seconds otherwise you may miss the ball coming to you.

Also you have to constantly try to get through a defence without stopping. In NFL you have to cross 10 yards  in 5 plays and your attacking count drops back to 1. However after each play you stop and talk about the next play. So the pressure isn't there as you discuss with your team mates what you are going to do. 

In actual football (were you use your feet), you have to read a play that is ever changing depending on what is happening on the field at the time. No breaks after every kick to strategise the next one.

FootballFan said:

They like everything to be big, Soccer players aren't big enough. Big cars, big houses, big national debt, big "Football" Players and big Basketball Players. Soccer players are too small in comparison to your standard Joe Bloggs who likes to eat at Mcdonalds.

In addition, American's are very patriotic, supporting a different countries domestic league would be like been friendly to the French, it's something that doesn't happen.

Following on from the last point, USA usually dominates the world in virtually every sense, therefore selecting sports which only themselves play in order to be champions is always a recipe for success.

It would be to intense a workout (for many) to be running for extended periods of time without scoring a goal. Without having grown up involved in the sport their is little reasons for American's to bother to include themselves in it.

Good point about us being very patriotic.  When the Olympics roll around, we cheer on every single sport from curling, archery, track to basketball, gymnastics to not just win but crush the competition. I don't know if it is like this for other countries..  The world cup is the biggest soccer event for us, because we don't really have a team except the USA team.  Europe has tons of established teams and all the best players in your champions league(i think that's what it is called). While we have all the best players/established teams in basketball, baseball, and american football, so its hard for you guys to get excited about our sports.

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Around the Network
Pharaoh said:
FootballFan said:

Good point about us being very patriotic.  When the Olympics roll around, we cheer on every single sport from curling, archery, track to basketball, gymnastics to not just win but crush the competition. I don't know if it is like this for other countries..  The world cup is the biggest soccer event for us, because we don't really have a team except the USA team.  Europe has tons of established teams and all the best players in your champions league(i think that's what it is called). While we have all the best players/established teams in basketball, baseball, and american football, so its hard for you guys to get excited about our sports.

England is patriotic but not in the same league as the US. I have been fortunate to go to America on a number of occasions and the sense of togetherness is overwhelming in comparison to England. There are so many divides between people in England to be fully patrotic. 

Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cobretti2 said:

This is why I think Americans hate football.

- The game is too technical.

- The game is too free flowing for them.

- There is no defence team and offense team that interchange on play. Or a guy that comes on to just take penalty kicks lol.

- There is no video replay decisions.

- There is no time outs.

- The game is played in two 45 mins halfs  (90 mins total) other US sports played in quarters (12-15mins). a good 30mins shorter over all with more rest breaks.

- There is no cheerleaders to tap.

- Basketball

- Basketball

-Basketball

-Basketballl

- Your saying people LIKE timeouts?  I mean, I actually do in basketball... it adds an entire new level of strategy into the game.  Most people don't though.

- College Basketball

- Baseball.

Actually I was making comparison to NFL more so than basketball as we are talking about football sport here.

Even though they aren't really football sports. but rather ones with the name in it. 

Also Aussies call Rugby, Rugby only no football in the name as the sport is 99% hands use.

However the fact that you know... Americans do like sports with those qualties defeats your argeument.

Also, no sport is really football... as I've already proven in this thread.  Or they all are.  It's really the same difference depending on how you view codification.

I am awear that the original name is association football. however use some common sense why people in other countries don't consider the other sports football

FOOT ball = using your foot on a ball.  

Soccer = 98% of the time foot ( other 2% head, chest and goal keeper uses hands)

Aussie Rules = 50% of the time foot

NFL = only punter kicks so what 1% of the game involves foot?

Rugby = similar to NFL

FootballFan said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

That's almost as scary as the prospect of losing tomorrow....ok I had to keep it Football related

Nah, I wouldn't say it's nearly as scary.

It reminds me when 75% or maybe it was higher... percent of Mexicans said it would be a national tradgedy if the US beat them.

It's why I won't really care too much if (and probably when) the USA loses, maybe even to Algeria too.

Truth is... most countries care about Soccer like the US does all of it's sports combined.

Winning won't mean nearly as much to us as losing will to another country.

Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

Nah, I wouldn't say it's nearly as scary.

It reminds me when 75% or maybe it was higher... percent of Mexicans said it would be a national tradgedy if the US beat them.

It's why I won't really care too much if (and probably when) the USA loses, maybe even to Algeria too.

Truth is... most countries care about Soccer like the US does all of it's sports combined.

Winning won't mean nearly as much to us as losing will to another country.

Perhaps your right. Apparently their is going to be 22 million people in England watching the game against USA. That is  2/5's of the population....Incredible really.

Pharaoh said:
tombi123 said:
Pharaoh said:
Trying to get into the world cup by watching the south africa vs. mexico and now the france match but watching just strengthens why americans hate this "sport".

1) The stupid horns. I have to watch with the mute button on or else my head will explode. They don't even blow them for any reason, i.e. when their team is on defense.
2) THE HORNS. Its like hearing a baby slowly skinned alive.
3) Both games are scoreless the whole first half!! What a waste of time.

4) The game ends in a tie! Its not a competitive sport if no one wins. Its basically wasting 2 hours of your life.

5) If the u.s. didn't have football, basketball, baseball, and our athletes grew up playing soccer, this wouldn't even be a contest.  Our athletes are just that much physically better.

Bolded: That doesn't even make sense when you're talking about "Soccer". 

Underlined: What a stupid thing to say. Typical arrogant American. The best Footballers in the world are typically short, quick and agile. Not physical. Not that Americans are more physical anyway...

Edit: And touch is way more important than athleticism.

Exactly.  Short quick and agile.  That's why we don't care so much for soccer.  I guarantee you that I could beat 75% of these professional athletes in basketball, football, etc. even beach volleyball.  This sport rewards short people that couldn't step on the field in another sport.  Now there are some exceptional athletes in soccer that would be great in other sports such as a point guard in basketball or a running back in football, but not many.

Take Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, etc etc. They are in the upper echelon of athletiscm, physical freaks, who are as athletic as you can get.  Could they play soccer?  No.  They are too big.  How can we praise a sport when the best athletes can't even compete. 

There is so much ignorance of the game in your post. If you're going to watch and post in a forum about the game at least have some understanding of it.

Not the upper echelon of athletiscm? Do your American football or baseball players run 10 Km in a single game? Midfielders typically run this distance in a single game of football. I don't know how fit you are, but unless you're a long distance runner, I doubt you'd have the stamina to keep up with most professional footballers in most sports.

In football you have to be quick, agile, have stamina, fast reactions, be able to read the game as it happens AND contrary to what you believe, be strong. If you want to retain possesion of the ball you can be quick and agile and run past people, or you can be big and strong and hold people off when they challenge you. Larger players can effectively push an opposing player off the ball (as long as it's shoulder to shoulder), whilst smaller players can use skill and trickery to keep the ball from others and then go forward.

Most central defenders have to be strong enough to out muscle large strikers for the ball and tall enough to ensure they can beat tall strikers to headers. The average height of a central defender is easily 6" . The range of sizes of different players varies greatly. Some of the larger players:

Drogba- Striker- 6"2 1/2 Large build

Vidic- Defender- 6"2 Average build

Rooney- Striker- 5"10 Large build

Howard (US player)- Goalkeeper- 6"3 Average build

Patrick Viera- Midfield- 6"3 1/2 Average build

Peter Crouch- Striker- 6"7 Slim build