By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

blunty51 said:

It's just difference of cultures. It's going to take decades before kids play soccer and grow up to strive to play professionally in the U.S. on a more mainstream basis. Everyone grows up (even though they might still play football) with all the other sports the U.S. being more successful, and with a lot more hype around it.

Football is going to have to reach that level, but only after a lot of years of grooming it to be on the level of what Americans think of pigskin/baseball/basketball

I grew up in the eighties, and we all the kids played in soccer leagues during the summer. The same thing was said back then about American kids growing up playing, and then becooming fans of soccer. I loved to play it. Guess what, I can't sit through more than five minutes of it before wanting to change the channel. It's just not something we like to watch for the most part.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
Pharaoh said:
Trying to get into the world cup by watching the south africa vs. mexico and now the france match but watching just strengthens why americans hate this "sport".

1) The stupid horns. I have to watch with the mute button on or else my head will explode. They don't even blow them for any reason, i.e. when their team is on defense.
2) THE HORNS. Its like hearing a baby slowly skinned alive.
3) Both games are scoreless the whole first half!! What a waste of time.

4) The game ends in a tie! Its not a competitive sport if no one wins. Its basically wasting 2 hours of your life.

5) If the u.s. didn't have football, basketball, baseball, and our athletes grew up playing soccer, this wouldn't even be a contest.  Our athletes are just that much physically better.

Bolded: That doesn't even make sense when you're talking about "Soccer". 

Underlined: What a stupid thing to say. Typical arrogant American. The best Footballers in the world are typically short, quick and agile. Not physical. Not that Americans are more physical anyway...

Edit: And touch is way more important than athleticism.

Yeah, because Americans are typically arrogant. Give me a break.

tombi123 said:
Pharaoh said:
Trying to get into the world cup by watching the south africa vs. mexico and now the france match but watching just strengthens why americans hate this "sport".

1) The stupid horns. I have to watch with the mute button on or else my head will explode. They don't even blow them for any reason, i.e. when their team is on defense.

4) The game ends in a tie! Its not a competitive sport if no one wins. Its basically wasting 2 hours of your life.

5) If the u.s. didn't have football, basketball, baseball, and our athletes grew up playing soccer, this wouldn't even be a contest.  Our athletes are just that much physically better.

Underlined: What a stupid thing to say. Typical arrogant American. The best Footballers in the world are typically short, quick and agile. Not physical. Not that Americans are more physical anyway...

Exactly.  Short quick and agile.  That's why we don't care so much for soccer.  I guarantee you that I could beat 75% of these professional athletes in basketball, football, etc. even beach volleyball.  This sport rewards short people that couldn't step on the field in another sport.  Now there are some exceptional athletes in soccer that would be great in other sports such as a point guard in basketball or a running back in football, but not many.

Take Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, etc etc. They are in the upper echelon of athletiscm, physical freaks, who are as athletic as you can get.  Could they play soccer?  No.  They are too big.  How can we praise a sport when the best athletes can't even compete. 

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

As for "Would america be the best if we liked Soccer more the same as everybody else.  (Except Canada.)

Eh, we'd probably be around as good as Europe.

I mean, there is a reason why pretty much just Europe, and a few select south American countries are good.

It's a matter of 3 things.

1) Caring, which everybody but the US does.

2) Money, so you can pay developmental schools and coaches and get your good players good.

3) Economic Reasons.   A reason to have your best suited to play the sport... want to play the sport from a young age.  Lots of ateheltes are poor when younger because of this actually. 

Few countries hold all 3.   America would, so it would likely be a lot better.

It takes a LOT to get a good player as a child and refine him into a word class athelete.

Allen Iverson would of kicked ass on a Soccer Field by the way.

Don't underestimate either how dominating a big man can be when he's agile enough.  Like a Lebron James.   Who could stop a header by him?

by the way the France vs. Uraguay game is STILL 0-0 two hours.  That is why.  I really am trying to like this sport, its just really really hard.  I will be rooting for the U.S. tomorrow though, even though I will have to watch it on mute because of those damn horns, which make no sense

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Around the Network
Pharaoh said:
tombi123 said:
Pharaoh said:

Exactly.  Short quick and agile.  That's why we don't care so much for soccer.  I guarantee you that I could beat 75% of these professional athletes in basketball, football, etc. even beach volleyball.  This sport rewards short people that couldn't step on the field in another sport.  Now there are some exceptional athletes in soccer that would be great in other sports such as a point guard in basketball or a running back in football, but not many.

Take Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, etc etc. They are in the upper echelon of athletiscm, physical freaks, who are as athletic as you can get.  Could they play soccer?  No.  They are too big.  How can we praise a sport when the best athletes can't even compete. 

Sigh...so much ignorance

Also, the reason why Soccer hasn't surplanted one of the big 3 is simple enough in that.... they are the big 3.

Soccer has two BIG possibilties.

American Football's controversy with concussions.  It could end with a collapse of the Sports popularity like Boxing once the full science is in.

Economics of Baseball.  Basically picture the Premier league... but instead of the Big 4 outspending everyone to huge degrees... it's just 2 teams... if your lucky.  Usually just one with the Yankees.  That could be a problem.

FYI, baseball (usually) Isn't high scoring, nor is it violent.  So it doesn't really fit in with other theories presented.

Pharaoh said:

by the way the France vs. Uraguay game is STILL 0-0 two hours.  That is why.  I really am trying to like this sport, its just really really hard.  I will be rooting for the U.S. tomorrow though, even though I will have to watch it on mute because of those damn horns, which make no sense

I thought it was a good game.  It showed a France team that was performing better, but just couldn't break through.  Like watching two pitchers dueling in baseball, one doing a little worse but being picked up by superior fielding.

sguy78 said:
tombi123 said:
Pharaoh said:

Yeah, because Americans are typically arrogant. Give me a break.

Well... the stereotypical englishman talks like the queen, has bad teeth, complains about the weather and drinks tea. 

The stereotypical American is arrogant, stupid and overweight from eating McDonalds all day... neither are true but that is how Americans and the English are viewed around the world.

Kasz216 said:
Pharaoh said:

I thought it was a good game.  It showed a France team that was performing better, but just couldn't break through.  Like watching two pitchers dueling in baseball, one doing a little worse but being picked up by superior fielding.

I was just about to say that I would hate anyone to judge football based on that game. I thought it was dull as hell. 

If you want to be able to appreciate football just type in Lionel Messi into youtube... lol