By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

AFL........Greatest football code on earth, deal with it! :P

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Or you could say the same thing about Rugby... which is the point you keep ignoring.  Maybe Rugby is the real codification?    

Your just.... wrong.  It's so obvious based on simple logic.

Assosation Football now vs 20 years ago is differnet because it was after it was codified.  Big difference. 

Anything invented before codification, and it's offshoots = Football.  Period.

Your trying to apply a definition backwords in time... and that clearly doesn't work.

I see why you are wrong now. You're going under the assumption that because rules for Rugby Union was finalised before Football it's more important. Doing something you tried poorly to claim I was doing.

You're wrong. You're ignoring the history of the sport and the natural way that things evolve to become what they are now. You're not one of those religious bible belt fanatics I've read about are you? 

I'm trying to get you to understand the definition in the correct order. From the start til today.  You're running of some backword only when the rules were clearly set out was it a sport and not before thinking. Wrong. And you're wrong that rugby is the first and more important. if that is true why don't we call everything Rugby?

Wouldn't it be American Rugby which actually makes more sense?

Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:

However the fact that you know... Americans do like sports with those qualties defeats your argeument.

Also, no sport is really football... as I've already proven in this thread.  Or they all are.  It's really the same difference depending on how you view codification.

I am awear that the original name is association football. however use some common sense why people in other countries don't consider the other sports football

FOOT ball = using your foot on a ball.  

Soccer = 98% of the time foot ( other 2% head, chest and goal keeper uses hands)

Aussie Rules = 50% of the time foot

NFL = only punter kicks so what 1% of the game involves foot?

Rugby = similar to NFL

He's proven nothing and it's real name is Football. Association is only really used by Yanks with a grudge and well, thats it. Never heard it used in England or Germany. Italy, France etc. Only Yanks. Maybe to differentiate if from grid iron but then the ones doing that are Yanks who then refer to grid iron as Football??? not American Football

Also NFL=Similar to Rugby

Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

Perhaps your right. Apparently their is going to be 22 million people in England watching the game against USA. That is  2/5's of the population....Incredible really.

Honestly, that's less then I would of thought.  I'm just pumped I have tommorrow off.  All I hope is that the US keeps it competitive.

For a comparrison to show the difference though... something like 15 million is what is expected in the US.  That's less not even considering the populaton difference.

Still... not too shabby if it pans out that high.

15 million in America I would say is an amazing number. I thought 1 or 2 at best.

Sol said:

AFL........Greatest football code on earth, deal with it! :P

This.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
thx1139 said:

I would also say you have to get over that we call American Football well Football. It was called this when using your feet was far more important.  What were we supposed to change the name to make you feel better.  I think this is part of the reason that what we call Soccer isnt as popular. You have to get over your superiority complex.  American Football isnt superior to Soccer. Basketball isnt superior to Baseball. Hockey isnt superior to Football. They are all great beautiful games.  Some more popular to others, but all awesome. 

One thing that I can add why Soccer isnt as popular in the US.  People have brought up that although games may end in ties the scores do mean things to the tournament.  I hate this.  Goal totals in a tournament should rarely be used for judging teams. Each game should be able to stand on its own.  I mean here in the US the MSL has a 2 game series to start the playoffs and if each team wins one game the 1st tiebraker is total goals. Sorry, but we hate that.

It's the fact that Yanks go round trying to convince the world that Football is called soccer and we aren't allowed to use a name and word we invented for a sport we invented that is played by most of the world.

It's that American arrogance or superiority that must make you do that. Why do you call it soccer when in a world cup thread? In England or any other country in the world? Cant you get over yourselves to use the real name when you are in a Football area? It's rude, arrogant, and disrespectful and exactly what the world has come to expect of Yanks.

It would go a long way in improving your reputation if you could call it Football when outside of America. Is that too hard to do? To understand when you aren't somewhere that is americanised you try to fit in instead of trying to force others to change their ways to make you feel better.

Pharaoh said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Pharaoh said:
Trying to get into the world cup by watching the south africa vs. mexico and now the france match but watching just strengthens why americans hate this "sport".

1) The stupid horns. I have to watch with the mute button on or else my head will explode. They don't even blow them for any reason, i.e. when their team is on defense.
2) THE HORNS. Its like hearing a baby slowly skinned alive.
3) Both games are scoreless the whole first half!! What a waste of time.

4) The game ends in a tie! Its not a competitive sport if no one wins. Its basically wasting 2 hours of your life.

5) If the u.s. didn't have football, basketball, baseball, and our athletes grew up playing soccer, this wouldn't even be a contest.  Our athletes are just that much physically better.

its actually the same when you watch 2 mediocre teams play in NFL

watch the EPL,UCL and games of the european countries,they are far better

Except in the NFL they have explosive players who actually score.  And when they aren't scoring there is always action going on, tackling, big hits and no RIDICULOUS HORN BLOWING.  In soccer I literally can pause the game and fast foward to the goal scoring, and what did I miss?  Just some passing, and maybe if I'm lucky a headbutt.   Ah that is the legacy of soccer,  bringing flopping into basketball.

ALTHOUGH, I do love how the entire world has figured out to have a whole soccer match without one commercial, while I have to sit through five minutes of commericals every ten minutes of gametime(if I'm lucky). This applies to basketball and football.

Wow, you really dont know shit about football.

I watched NFL game once on youtube and there was basiclly 30 gorilas bending over for like 5 mins, then the action kicked off for about 5-10 seconds and then they started bending over and for 5 mins AGAIN, and then the action started off for 5 secs AGAIN, and than they started to bend over again and after 5 mins, the 3 sec long action kicked in... Yes, rugby and baseball are the most boring sports i've ever seen where the action is not longer than 30 seconds. At lest in footbal, there is action for 90 minutes.

See what i did there^^? See how i judged the enitre sport based on one game.

FIrst of all, football was never about scores only. If you watch football for tons of scores like in basketball or rugby, your doing it wrong.Football is also about strong competition, nice actions, dangerous free kicks, awesome goalkeeper saves, nice passes, amazing tricks... you'll probably never see this kind of beuty on NFL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOm2xLEQOw

Second, its typicall for the first few WC matches to have few goals and draw results. (Altough the first WC game in germany 4 years ago had 6 goals in it)

Hornblowing is retarded, but its not like ever football game has it. Its only on this WC

Squilliam said:
Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:

Still I would take Baseball, NFL, Ice Hockey, and basketball over Soccer any day of the week in spite of the fact that we don't have more than marginal national interest in any of those sports and Soccer dwarfs all of them in my country by a margin of 10:1 combined. Its all about what you like to watch and you wouldn't catch me watching a soccer game even if it was the world cup final.

Out of interest, what about football (soccer) do you find boring to watch? I find it far faster and entertaining than either baseball or NFL.

I just feel that nothing really happens. They move quickly but theres very little chance any one attack will actually do anything. Score lines of 0:1 or 0:0 are way too common. Baseball is interesting because every time the batter goes out to hit theres a decent chance something will happen and NFL is the same because its unpredictable.

no they are not actually. not in europe anyway, and sure as hell not in South America

Darc Requiem said:

There is so much stupidity in this thread that I don't know where to begin.....

Also calling people the US, Yankees or Yanks is ignorant. That may fly in the North Eastern U.S. but calling someone a Yankee in the Southeastern part of the country could be a serious issue. 

Yanks is a blanket term for Americans. Yankee is I'm guessing Yanks from the south but are not what we mean when we say Yanks it's probably where we got the word Yanks from.

We could use septic tank instead if you prefer?

The arguement that is sometimes brought up 'it is too slow' is a ridiculous one because NFL is one of the slowest moving sports there is. In play it isn't, onbviously, but the amount of stopages is ridiculous.

The question would be better answered 'why wasn't it popular 100 years ago?' because as far as it goes now, it is incredibly hard to change the top sports of any country - it isn't more popular because it wasnt 100 years ago.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)