By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

I'm seventeen, In America, that enjoys playing and watching soccer, I just blew your mind :)

EDIT: I'll laugh if the US beats England today XD

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

Or you could say the same thing about Rugby... which is the point you keep ignoring.  Maybe Rugby is the real codification?    

Your just.... wrong.  It's so obvious based on simple logic.

Assosation Football now vs 20 years ago is differnet because it was after it was codified.  Big difference. 

Anything invented before codification, and it's offshoots = Football.  Period.

Your trying to apply a definition backwords in time... and that clearly doesn't work.

I see why you are wrong now. You're going under the assumption that because rules for Rugby Union was finalised before Football it's more important. Doing something you tried poorly to claim I was doing.

You're wrong. You're ignoring the history of the sport and the natural way that things evolve to become what they are now. You're not one of those religious bible belt fanatics I've read about are you? 

I'm trying to get you to understand the definition in the correct order. From the start til today.  You're running of some backword only when the rules were clearly set out was it a sport and not before thinking. Wrong. And you're wrong that rugby is the first and more important. if that is true why don't we call everything Rugby?

Wouldn't it be American Rugby which actually makes more sense?

Nooo.... what's important is that both sports existed before rules were codified.

What you are doing is taking the rules for Assosiation Football... and trying to apply them backwords through time to Football.

Which is asinine.

Since both forms of Football existed before Football was codified and therefore defined... both ARE Football... as is anything that comes from them.

Also everything isn't called Rugby BECAUSE IT'S FOOTBALL.

It was always called Football.  Rugby was added EXACTLY HOW ASSOSIATION was added.

It's rugby FOOTBALL.  Just like assosiation FOOTBALL.  Same difference.  That's the grouping.

Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:

Perhaps your right. Apparently their is going to be 22 million people in England watching the game against USA. That is  2/5's of the population....Incredible really.

Honestly, that's less then I would of thought.  I'm just pumped I have tommorrow off.  All I hope is that the US keeps it competitive.

For a comparrison to show the difference though... something like 15 million is what is expected in the US.  That's less not even considering the populaton difference.

Still... not too shabby if it pans out that high.

15 million in America I would say is an amazing number. I thought 1 or 2 at best.

France VS Italy in the finals last year drew 17 million.  You'd have to think most of those people would be interested in seeing our actual country playing.

ESPN really has doen a full out blitz in the last year or so.  Been getting a few preimier and champions league games a month now.  One or two a weekend.

Which is another problem towards US accepteance by the way.

We want to watch the best.  Which means well, watching The Premier/Champions league which mostly plays at times the US people can't watch, and addition there is no hometown loyalties.

America likes manly sports. Grabbing men is much more manly than playing soccer.

Or to put things another way about Codification....  I'll put it in another context to get past your biases.

Think about it like political parties.

Say you have a "Workers party" and have a bunch of members... but no set plank or set ideals yet.

Then one group says "We are the People's Workers Party.... these are our beliefs!"

While another group later says "We are the Workers Party of England.... these are our beliefs."

Which is the TRUE Workers party?   Either Neither or Both.  Neither has a greater claim then the other?

You definitly can't say "it's the Peoples workers party.... otherwise why aren't both parties called England!"  or vice versa with People.  That's silly.

You can't say one is more "Wokers party" then the other, because both existed as that entitity before any strict definitions were formed.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

HERE IN MEXICO AND ALL OF SOUTH AMERICA WE SAY FUTBOL

100% Mexican Power

Soccer is boring to most Americans.  Why?  Because we don't watch the game; we don't understand what's going on, on the field; and any sport you don't understand is essentially boring because you can't follow the story of the action.  It's a self-sustaining cycle--if we watched it, we'd come to understand more and thereby enjoy it.  It's unfortunate it's so hard to change, but there it is.

It's the same thing with my father and baseball: he's followed it all his life and he understands the nuances.  I don't.  I find baseball boring, but that's more on account of my understanding of it than the game itself.

On naming, it all seems so dumb to me.  Why should I care what people in Germany call the sport that I've known all my life as soccer?  And why should they care what I call it?  I mean, it's not like I refer to their country as Deutschland; different cultures, different languages, different traditions, etc.  So long as we can communicate (which we can), I guess we can deal with the fact that we call our different games by the same name w/o pretending like it's some sort of "arrogance" on Americans' parts to call soccer, "soccer."

sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

The rules there for a reason it's too stop someone from just standing there and waiting for the ball too come to them, If you got rid of the rule it'd be a rather silly contest tbh and rather boring. And americans don't have the consentration span to watch a 90 minute game with only one break.