By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

rastari said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

The rules there for a reason it's too stop someone from just standing there and waiting for the ball too come to them, If you got rid of the rule it'd be a rather silly contest tbh and rather boring. And americans don't have the consentration span to watch a 90 minute game with only one break.

So the game would have a higher score than 1-0? That would be great! Also, can you possibly come up with an argument without insulting Americans? Get a life.

Around the Network
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

Thanks for proving my point. Your so far up your own ass it's not funny. Not everyone wants to be American. If I'm jealous why do all Americans claim to have relatives from the country I'm from? Learn that the world doesn't revolve around America.

sguy78 said:
rastari said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

The rules there for a reason it's too stop someone from just standing there and waiting for the ball too come to them, If you got rid of the rule it'd be a rather silly contest tbh and rather boring. And americans don't have the consentration span to watch a 90 minute game with only one break.

So the game would have a higher score than 1-0? That would be great! Also, can you possibly come up with an argument without insulting Americans? Get a life.

It wasn't an insult it was a fact, Why do you think american's don't like cricket? And it's not just about the goals btw.

Well, getting rid of the offside rules would be retarded. But hey, at least USA seems to have a better goalkeeper than England.

Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

Football was still called football long before the rules were formalised. True that Rugby and Football used the name but then rugby changed it and later football adjusted its to include association to avoid confusion. Doesn't change the fact it was called football from the start (or near abouts) and isn't called association football unless on a legal document or if you are a Yank being difficult. Also doesn't change the fact that the name Soccer came after association.

Everything was callled Football.  Rugby didn't actually change it's name.  Ask Australia what a football club is.  They'll point you to a Rugby club.

Most of the world just uses the wrong name, because it's easier for them.  It's still the wrong name.  So getting on people who call american football, football is about the clearest definition of hypocricy you could have.

American football has ALWAYS just been called Football.

Including Legal documents.... so if that's the arguement path you want to go down... you are argueing your own defeat.

Really Australians? Did they invent either sport? How long after the games, rules, names had been established did they start playing football or rugby. Either code.

What first had the name of football in regards to the major sports played today. Don't need to get into eton wall games and the such. If you are you saying that rugby and football were the same sport then which changed first? Bear in mind the date from this quote

"Edward II became involved in the debate on football and in 1314 complained about "certain tumults arising from great footballs in the fields of the public, from which many evils may arise."

Rugby grew out of one of the many variations of Football around the country.

GridIron has been called a decendant of Rugby so Yanks calling it football are getting it wrong for a whole new reason.

And when was Australia discovered?

Also most of the world gets the name wrong? Most of the world calls Football Football

Football has ALWAYS been called football.  Trying to argue that because  years later they added association then saying that later still some parts of sociaty  called it soccer so soccer is it's real name is setting up your own defeat.

trying to say random country's sports which you acknowledge as being decendants of football call it something different so 1000 years (older than both countries) of history is null makes me laugh.

As for legal documents, well I was trying to find a time when someone would use association and that was the best i could come up with. But you're right I was wrong. Most simply say football especially outside of England.

Ok, so according to you... Rugby's real name is Football then.  Yes?

Also, well American Football.... since American Football is derived from the other Footballs and ahs always been called football.

Assosiation football is a descendent of Football.

It is also an offshoot.  Simply study the history of the game and you'll realize that.  The football of old was nothing more then a genus.  Not a Species

Football evolved into Foobtall Rugby - Football Assosiation if you were to look at it from a biological perspective.

You should really read about the history of a sport you claim to like.

in spanish it's futbol. so either way. it's football.

Around the Network
JerCotter7 said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

Thanks for proving my point. Your so far up your own ass it's not funny. Not everyone wants to be American. If I'm jealous why do all Americans claim to have relatives from the country I'm from? Learn that the world doesn't revolve around America.

So funny. Nobody is proving your point, because you don't have one. How about you try coming up with an argument that isn't an insult. Nobody cares whether you and your insignificant country doesn't like us. We don't like soccer. It must be because we're ignorant. Hilarious. I wasn't aware that all Americans claim to have relatives from where you are from? What exactly is that supposed to mean? Before you make insults up try making a coherent argument that is not all encompassing.

Boutros said:

Soccer is for kids here.

Pretty much.

Americans like violent spots, like Football, hockey and basketball.

Garnett said:
Boutros said:

Soccer is for kids here.

Pretty much.

Baseball is the national pasttime though... and it's far less violent then Soccer.

Garnett said:
Boutros said:

Soccer is for kids here.

Pretty much.

So I suppose Football is like Mario and American Football is like Gears of War... Yeah I'd take Mario thanks.

Garnett said:
Boutros said:

Soccer is for kids here.

Pretty much.

Isn't basketball non contact?