By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

pastro243 said:

Well, getting rid of the offside rules would be retarded. But hey, at least USA seems to have a better goalkeeper than England.

Meh everone's allowed to make a mistake occasionally, And I'm not aure if he's our best goalkeeper tbh.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

It's the fact that Yanks go round trying to convince the world that Football is called soccer and we aren't allowed to use a name and word we invented for a sport we invented that is played by most of the world.

It's that American arrogance or superiority that must make you do that. Why do you call it soccer when in a world cup thread? In England or any other country in the world? Cant you get over yourselves to use the real name when you are in a Football area? It's rude, arrogant, and disrespectful and exactly what the world has come to expect of Yanks.

It would go a long way in improving your reputation if you could call it Football when outside of America. Is that too hard to do? To understand when you aren't somewhere that is americanised you try to fit in instead of trying to force others to change their ways to make you feel better.

No we dont.  One this thread used the word soccer in the title.  We more go around being worried about offending you based on the word soccer.  The truth of the matter is us yanks for the most part dont give a rats ass about what you call Football and we call Soccer.  I for one like the game, but dont care for the World Cup and the fans that think that they need to compare Football to American Football.  You might as well be comparing Baseball to cycling. They are different games.  Get over that and then maybe you can understand some of the reasons we are not as crazy about Football as you are. I have said my reasons why.  You (in the Football fan sense) choose to complain abou the name we use for the game and insult a game we love.  Tell you what if you convince us to hate American Football doesnt mean we will love your Football.

Oh yes you do. Are you seriously trying to say you are worried about upsetting us by using the word soccer?  If so why use the word in the first place?

It seems you yanks are more upset as you use soccer and refuse to acknowledge football as its real name. As for getting over the fact baseball isn't cycling. Well I'm over that.
Cycling is a great sport. I would never soil its name by associating it with baseball so your point is lost on me. They are different. Have different names and people don't compare the two.

I haven't insulted handegg? Where as the yanks have been insulting football left right and centre and you haven't said anything about that. Wonder why?

I couldn't care if you hate hand egg or not. I don't care and haven't said anything against the sport whereas Yanks have been slagging off football the entire time. Yet you haven't commented on that. I wonder why?

If it wasn't for americans disrespectful attitude to a game loved the word over nobody would say anything about hanbdegg. You bring it on yourselves. Can't you use the right name when asking questions about it? I wouldn't start a thread saying "why doesn't the world like handegg?" as it would be rude. i would use the words American football. Its simple.

pastro243 said:

Well, getting rid of the offside rules would be retarded. But hey, at least USA seems to have a better goalkeeper than England.

We don't know. The English keeper didn't have muct work to do. Sure he made a mistake but so did the yankee one.

donathos said:

Soccer is boring to most Americans.  Why?  Because we don't watch the game; we don't understand what's going on, on the field; and any sport you don't understand is essentially boring because you can't follow the story of the action.  It's a self-sustaining cycle--if we watched it, we'd come to understand more and thereby enjoy it.  It's unfortunate it's so hard to change, but there it is.

It's the same thing with my father and baseball: he's followed it all his life and he understands the nuances.  I don't.  I find baseball boring, but that's more on account of my understanding of it than the game itself.

On naming, it all seems so dumb to me.  Why should I care what people in Germany call the sport that I've known all my life as soccer?  And why should they care what I call it?  I mean, it's not like I refer to their country as Deutschland; different cultures, different languages, different traditions, etc.  So long as we can communicate (which we can), I guess we can deal with the fact that we call our different games by the same name w/o pretending like it's some sort of "arrogance" on Americans' parts to call soccer, "soccer."

The first two paragraphs are spot on.

The last. Well you can't go to another country and start renaming things that are established yet thats what Yanks do. If talking to a yank I would say grid iron or american football as they would understand but I wouldn't demand or act like they should rename their sport because I call it something different and I expect the same back.

TomasPL said:

i would go with americans suck at football. that's why they copied rugby and named it football but were too scared so all handegg players have so much safety gear on them you can hardly know that there's a human under all of it. seriously american football players are pussies

that's how you play rugby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGNfG6oawI

when FIFA will demand 50 pounds of safety gear than football will be popular in US ;)

Congratulations, yours is officially the most ignorant post of the entire thread.

Just so you know, American football was originally played without all those pads.  They started wearing them because players were dying, on the field.  If you think they're such big pussies I invite you to step out on one of those fields during a game and see how long you last.

Read this for some insight into why football players wear pads: http://www.rugbyfootball.com/pads_and_helmets.html

Around the Network

Its down to the tackling. They are worried about similar things happening in RL because the speed is increasing and the they are going into the tackles at a faster speed.

It has nothing to do with which game is tougher to play.

We know thats Rugby. Even Union.

sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

Thanks for proving my point. Your so far up your own ass it's not funny. Not everyone wants to be American. If I'm jealous why do all Americans claim to have relatives from the country I'm from? Learn that the world doesn't revolve around America.

So funny. Nobody is proving your point, because you don't have one. How about you try coming up with an argument that isn't an insult. Nobody cares whether you and your insignificant country doesn't like us. We don't like soccer. It must be because we're ignorant. Hilarious. I wasn't aware that all Americans claim to have relatives from where you are from? What exactly is that supposed to mean? Before you make insults up try making a coherent argument that is not all encompassing.

All I see in all your posts is America > everyone. Your an idiot. I never said my country was significant, I just said a lot of Americans claim Irish roots so why would I be jealous of America when most Americans want Irish roots even if it was 10 generations ago which no one really cares about. And it's not just one country. It's the majority of countries. I personally have a few American friends but you just give them a bad image. I'm done arguing with a wall now. Not even gonna read your next reply because I know it's gonna be how America is better than everyone.

Baseball, Football and Basketball work out as well as they do because of exposure.  The major networks here decide what they want to play on TV (in essence exposing people to them).  Just look at how many commercials they can run doing the course of a Football/Baseball/Basketball game and compare it to other sports, like Hockey and Soccer. 

It is all about the all mighty dollar here (tv wise atleast).  Why do you think even the Stanley Cup was played partial on a Cable only station (Versus)? The day the Major networks find a way (im sure there is one) to profit more on a Soccer match than a football game, the US will get the soccer exposure that most of the rest of the world enjoys.

It also runs down to college level sports (before going to the Majors).  College Basketball and Football are HUGE here in the States (soccer, hockey, baseball not nearly as much)

JerCotter7 said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
sguy78 said:
JerCotter7 said:
tombi123 said:
amp316 said:

It's because America is very much a fast food culture.  We want instant gratification (lots of scoring) and don't like discussing the technical brilliance of a 0-0 draw.

Also about the USA not competing in football (soccer).  It's because our best athletes don't play the sport much and actually play several different sports.  All of the best athletes in Brazil (a large country) play football almost exclusively and this is a big reason for them always being amongst the best.  What I'm saying is that if all Americans concentrated on only playing football, then they would be one of the top teams every World Cup.  I know that many don't want to hear this, but it's true.  Also, the USA has a lot of short and agile people that play sports called baseball, tennis, and sometimes hockey.  Not everyone is built like Lebron James.   

Bolded: I agree, USA would be a top 10 team. What is stupid is saying that if Americans concentrated only on football, it wouldn't be a contest because Americans are better at sport

I actually believe USA will win a world cup in the next 30-40 years.

And that's why the world hates Americans. What gives you the impressions that Americans are so good at sport?

Oh no! The whole world hates us? What will we ever do? Replace hate with jealousy, and you've got it right. Oh yeah, get rid of that retarted off-sides rule and score some goals, maybe we'll watch.

Thanks for proving my point. Your so far up your own ass it's not funny. Not everyone wants to be American. If I'm jealous why do all Americans claim to have relatives from the country I'm from? Learn that the world doesn't revolve around America.

So funny. Nobody is proving your point, because you don't have one. How about you try coming up with an argument that isn't an insult. Nobody cares whether you and your insignificant country doesn't like us. We don't like soccer. It must be because we're ignorant. Hilarious. I wasn't aware that all Americans claim to have relatives from where you are from? What exactly is that supposed to mean? Before you make insults up try making a coherent argument that is not all encompassing.

All I see in all your posts is America > everyone. Your an idiot. I never said my country was significant, I just said a lot of Americans claim Irish roots so why would I be jealous of America when most Americans want Irish roots even if it was 10 generations ago which no one really cares about. And it's not just one country. It's the majority of countries. I personally have a few American friends but you just give them a bad image. I'm done arguing with a wall now. Not even gonna read your next reply because I know it's gonna be how America is better than everyone.

Now we're resorting to more insults. Awwww.....Most Americans want Irish roots? What does that mean? Small people love to insult others on internet blogs.

Lord Flashheart said:
thx1139 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

It's the fact that Yanks go round trying to convince the world that Football is called soccer and we aren't allowed to use a name and word we invented for a sport we invented that is played by most of the world.

It's that American arrogance or superiority that must make you do that. Why do you call it soccer when in a world cup thread? In England or any other country in the world? Cant you get over yourselves to use the real name when you are in a Football area? It's rude, arrogant, and disrespectful and exactly what the world has come to expect of Yanks.

It would go a long way in improving your reputation if you could call it Football when outside of America. Is that too hard to do? To understand when you aren't somewhere that is americanised you try to fit in instead of trying to force others to change their ways to make you feel better.

No we dont.  One this thread used the word soccer in the title.  We more go around being worried about offending you based on the word soccer.  The truth of the matter is us yanks for the most part dont give a rats ass about what you call Football and we call Soccer.  I for one like the game, but dont care for the World Cup and the fans that think that they need to compare Football to American Football.  You might as well be comparing Baseball to cycling. They are different games.  Get over that and then maybe you can understand some of the reasons we are not as crazy about Football as you are. I have said my reasons why.  You (in the Football fan sense) choose to complain abou the name we use for the game and insult a game we love.  Tell you what if you convince us to hate American Football doesnt mean we will love your Football.

Oh yes you do. Are you seriously trying to say you are worried about upsetting us by using the word soccer?  If so why use the word in the first place?

It seems you yanks are more upset as you use soccer and refuse to acknowledge football as its real name. As for getting over the fact baseball isn't cycling. Well I'm over that.
Cycling is a great sport. I would never soil its name by associating it with baseball so your point is lost on me. They are different. Have different names and people don't compare the two.

I haven't insulted handegg? Where as the yanks have been insulting football left right and centre and you haven't said anything about that. Wonder why?

I couldn't care if you hate hand egg or not. I don't care and haven't said anything against the sport whereas Yanks have been slagging off football the entire time. Yet you haven't commented on that. I wonder why?

If it wasn't for americans disrespectful attitude to a game loved the word over nobody would say anything about hanbdegg. You bring it on yourselves. Can't you use the right name when asking questions about it? I wouldn't start a thread saying "why doesn't the world like handegg?" as it would be rude. i would use the words American football. Its simple.

Why should peopel worry about offending someone for using a more accurate term?

That's silly.

If anything I'd call you more disrespectful by calling it an improper name... by pretending it's the only sport called Football when there is a huge grouping including Rugby, American Football and many other sports.

Your the one being disrespectufl and arrogant.

It's funny that so many people who call it football get so pissy when people call the USA "America."

Heck, the Football case is worse because there isn't even a continent named just America.