By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Morgan Webb rants about Super Mario Galaxy 2, hilariously bad reasons

Darc Requiem said:
axumblade said:
Darc Requiem said:

Okay I have question, maybe someone answered it earlier in the thread but I didn't see it. Isn't her favorite game Ratchet & Clank? If so that makes her a huge hypocrite. R&C's art style has remained the same through out the entire series.

She basically said last year that Ratchet & Clank:ACiT was the best platformer in a long time.

The graphical advancements of the Ratchet & Clank franchise is great. In fact, I would go ahead and refer to the most recent R&C game as pixarlike quality (if not all of the PS3 versions of the series). The story had both happy and sad elements, which led to the game being very much story driven. The gameplay was varied and they completely changed the mechanic to Clank levels from previous games. Of course I'm sure that most people on here who are blasting the series haven't touched the game since the PS2 (if even then). That or they are just talking shit because of Morgan Webb and her "hypocrisy." Which I find stupid due to the fact that people don't seem to understand platformers are just like any other genre.

If people like Call of Duty, that does not mean they will like Battlefield. If people like God of War, that does not guarantee they will like Bayonetta. If people like Oblivion, it doesn't mean they'll like Fable. If people like Star Ocean, that doesn't mean they'll like Final Fantasy. Again, I repeat, it's about OPINION. e.e

Did watch her criticisms of SMG2? It was entirely about the cartoony graphical style. That's what makes her a hypocrite. You seem to have completely missed my point. R&C is a cartoony game. If she had been complaining about SMG2's gameplay and not it's graphical style then you'd have a point. For example,  if I said I don't like Tekken 6 because it's a one on one fighter but listed another one on one fighter Super Street Fighter IV as my favorite fighting game I'd be hypocrite. That's essentially what she did.

no it doesn't. she doesn't haft to fill that was about everygame that has a cartoony look. visual perseption is the only way she sees it and nothing more. she didn't say it was a bad game. shes just grown out of it. and as for the notes on R&C.

im sure there time is coming. but i say it's different because these are 2 different games. this debate about someones OP on a game they are going to play (i bet she will) any way is just a waist of time.

you know what i've learned hear today. now one can have a OP. the communist have taken over.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
axumblade said:
Darc Requiem said:

Okay I have question, maybe someone answered it earlier in the thread but I didn't see it. Isn't her favorite game Ratchet & Clank? If so that makes her a huge hypocrite. R&C's art style has remained the same through out the entire series.

She basically said last year that Ratchet & Clank:ACiT was the best platformer in a long time.

The graphical advancements of the Ratchet & Clank franchise is great. In fact, I would go ahead and refer to the most recent R&C game as pixarlike quality (if not all of the PS3 versions of the series). The story had both happy and sad elements, which led to the game being very much story driven. The gameplay was varied and they completely changed the mechanic to Clank levels from previous games. Of course I'm sure that most people on here who are blasting the series haven't touched the game since the PS2 (if even then). That or they are just talking shit because of Morgan Webb and her "hypocrisy." Which I find stupid due to the fact that people don't seem to understand platformers are just like any other genre.

If people like Call of Duty, that does not mean they will like Battlefield. If people like God of War, that does not guarantee they will like Bayonetta. If people like Oblivion, it doesn't mean they'll like Fable. If people like Star Ocean, that doesn't mean they'll like Final Fantasy. Again, I repeat, it's about OPINION. e.e

Did watch her criticisms of SMG2? It was entirely about the cartoony graphical style. That's what makes her a hypocrite. You seem to have completely missed my point. R&C is a cartoony game. If she had been complaining about SMG2's gameplay and not it's graphical style then you'd have a point. For example,  if I said I don't like Tekken 6 because it's a one on one fighter but listed another one on one fighter Super Street Fighter IV as my favorite fighting game I'd be hypocrite. That's essentially what she did.

You've pretty much nailed it there but I don't expect those who "agree with every word" to pay much attention to you. If she wants to dislike Mario Galaxy because she just flat out disliked the game then I say fair enough, but criticising it based entirely (yes, entirely) on the fact that the game is "too cartoony" whilst loving other games with a similar art style is incredibly childish. It's no different than somebody saying "I really hate Killzone 2 because it has guns, but Halo is my favourite game".

I'd also like to know from that those that do agree, what the hell she means by it "needed to be more 3D". It's a 3D platformer played a lot of the time on spherical worlds, you can't get much more 3D than that unless we're now expecting Wii games to come with 3D capabilities (as in like 3D movies) for some insanely stupid reason which would take goalpost shifting to the absolute extreme....

VGChartz

tarheel91 said:

So in order for a game to be enjoyable over the years the graphical style must undergo massive overhauls?  Guess that screws almost every series that's been popular over the years: Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Half Life, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Gears of War, etc.  Do I need to go on? 

She really seems to be only complaining about the "omg it's a cartoon; it's so kiddie" thing.  I see no that having no relation to doing the same old thing.  That tends to be more gameplay oriented, and I'm sure even SHE recognizes that the difference gameplay wise between SM64 and SMG 1/2 is MASSIVE.  It really seems like you're just trying to twist the thread to fit your agenda, that is: ZOMG Nintendo's getting away with recycling the same games for 30 years despite all the massive innovation they've brought in gameplay with each iteration (in general, I will acknowledge a few exceptions).

Final Fantasy (13 years ago). 

Final Fantasy (Present day)

Nope....No Graphical Overhauls there.  /Roll eyes.   Let alone the story over hauls and differences in each game.  What is the objective in Mario Galaxy again?  Saving Peach? 

Call of Duty (Released in 2003)

Call of Duty (Only 7 years later)

Half Life 1 (Released in 98')

Half Life 2  (Released in 2004..*6 years ago now**)

Gran Turismo (Released in 1997)

Gran Turismo  5 (Present day)

Do I expect Nintendo to change their style?  No.  Do I expect them to make Mario adult? Gory?  No.   Do I expect them to do something  that makes me say 'Wow!  I really need to get that Mario....it looks like they've done a lot to it!'.  Yes I do.  Mario for SNES did that.  Mario for N64 did that.   No Mario since has done that.   Gravity doesn't impress me.  Every game incorporates some form of gravity nowadays.    Do these great 'gameplay' innovations include keeping the same jumping mechanics fourteen years later?   Or adding a bumble bee costume instead of Flower power?    Come on now.

Nintendo has the nostalgia angle that Morgan Webb mentioned.  I bought Super Mario Galaxy 1 based off of hype, ratings, reviews and nostalgia. "Well it is a Mario game..".  After I completed Mario Galaxy, I said "I won't be fooled again Nintendo".   Same thing after Super Smash Brothers on Wii.  They need some fresh ideas not re-hashed ideas from 1996. 

Let's think it the other way around.

What would you think if a reviewer makes the next statement:

Unfortunately God of War III was too manly. Don't get me wrong, I love the GoW series and all of that, but I think its about time the put gore themes aside and deliver us something else. Can't he just talk with those Gods and arrive to an understandment? Violence for the violence itself has grown old.

milkyjoe said:
Darc Requiem said:
axumblade said:
Darc Requiem said:

You've pretty much nailed it there but I don't expect those who "agree with every word" to pay much attention to you. If she wants to dislike Mario Galaxy because she just flat out disliked the game then I say fair enough, but criticising it based entirely (yes, entirely) on the fact that the game is "too cartoony" whilst loving other games with a similar art style is incredibly childish. It's no different than somebody saying "I really hate Killzone 2 because it has guns, but Halo is my favourite game".

I'd also like to know from that those that do agree, what the hell she means by it "needed to be more 3D". It's a 3D platformer played a lot of the time on spherical worlds, you can't get much more 3D than that unless we're now expecting Wii games to come with 3D capabilities (as in like 3D movies) for some insanely stupid reason which would take goalpost shifting to the absolute extreme....

communist have taken my right to an OP. please don't run me over with that tank cause i don't agree with you. don't suicide bomb me cause i don't read the kuran or beleave in allah, but the bible and god are just fine, i don't like your republican ideas because im a democrat, do yall see how trivial this has become over someone elses OP.

dissagree with the her, but don't down play her OP. you want yours to be respected than respect hers. she can like C&K's cartony HD look all she wants. i like R&C but i hate the cartoony look of jak and daxter. so what it's my OP and it won't change it. agree it or dissagree it don't carre, but respect it.

Around the Network
pariz said:

Let's think it the other way around.

What would you think if a reviewer makes the next statement:

Unfortunately God of War III was too manly. Don't get me wrong, I love the GoW series and all of that, but I think its about time the put gore themes aside and deliver us something else. Can't he just talk with those Gods and arrive to an understandment? Violence for the violence itself has grown old.

Again as others have pointed out, there are several issues with that statement that make it an Apples to Oranges comparison. God of War III is a violent, story driven, action game. It also is only 5 years old.  If 10 years from they had released several other God of War iterations and it was very similar to God of War 1....And yet it received perfect scores across the board, you really don't believe it would get critically panned?   Ofcourse, it would.  Unimaginitive.  Tiresome.  Boring.  Same old.    Would all be used to describe the game.

Like I have said numerous times, when a game released 14 years ago is pretty comparable to your most recent version you open yourself up to criticism. 

Rpruett said:
tarheel91 said:

So in order for a game to be enjoyable over the years the graphical style must undergo massive overhauls?  Guess that screws almost every series that's been popular over the years: Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Half Life, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Gears of War, etc.  Do I need to go on? 

She really seems to be only complaining about the "omg it's a cartoon; it's so kiddie" thing.  I see no that having no relation to doing the same old thing.  That tends to be more gameplay oriented, and I'm sure even SHE recognizes that the difference gameplay wise between SM64 and SMG 1/2 is MASSIVE.  It really seems like you're just trying to twist the thread to fit your agenda, that is: ZOMG Nintendo's getting away with recycling the same games for 30 years despite all the massive innovation they've brought in gameplay with each iteration (in general, I will acknowledge a few exceptions).

Final Fantasy (13 years ago). 

Final Fantasy (Present day)

Nope....No Graphical Overhauls there.  /Roll eyes.   Let alone the story over hauls and differences in each game.  What is the objective in Mario Galaxy again?  Saving Peach? 

Call of Duty (Released in 2003)

Call of Duty (Only 7 years later)

Half Life 1 (Released in 98')

Half Life 2  (Released in 2004..*6 years ago now**)

Gran Turismo (Released in 1997)

Gran Turismo  5 (Present day)

Do I expect Nintendo to change their style?  No.  Do I expect them to make Mario adult? Gory?  No.   Do I expect them to do something  that makes me say 'Wow!  I really need to get that Mario....it looks like they've done a lot to it!'.  Yes I do.  Mario for SNES did that.  Mario for N64 did that.   No Mario since has done that.   Gravity doesn't impress me.  Every game incorporates some form of gravity nowadays.    Do these great 'gameplay' innovations include keeping the same jumping mechanics fourteen years later?   Or adding a bumble bee costume instead of Flower power?    Come on now.

To be fair FFVII was piss poor graphically for its time FFVIII would be better to compare

That screen of MW2 isn't in game

It seems that screen of Half Life 2 is after many of the updates cause it didn't look quite that good in 2004 especially running on the average PC

GT you have a point with but the graphical horsepower jump between PS1 to PS3 is much greater than the leap between N64 to Wii

But if you're trying to say there aren't wow moments and oh man that looks really good in SMG or 2 that's downright absurd, I know some of the most staunch graphic whores admit that SMG and SMG2 look good, and compared to SM64 there is no contest, but to be honest you seem to be picking and choosing your pictures to best suit your point, cause I could get HL1 running on max but find HL2 running on lowest from 2004 or maybe even the consoles versions to counter your point.

In the end SMG2 is similar but a huge overhaul in graphics and gameplay compared to SM64 over a decade ago.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

axumblade said:
Darc Requiem said:
axumblade said:
Darc Requiem said:

If you want to get technical everybody is a hypocrite to a degree. e.e That word is probably the most hypocritical insult for anybody to use. I know I am a hypocrite and I am fine with that. People in general make statements that don't always remain true. I'm sure 14 years ago when she played Super Mario 64, she felt that the series would never get old to her. Just as I'm sure that 10 years ago, I thought that no racing game would ever be able to touch the fun factor of Diddy Kong Racing. I know people who swore by Sonic when they were kids who now can't stand Sonic anymore. The "boycott" bullshit is a prime example of how . Do you realize how many people on this forum have "boycotted" EA, Activision, Square-Enix or Ubisoft only to end up buying the game in the end?

I think you missed my point too. I agree that Ratchet & Clank is cartoony (which is why I compared them to Pixar, because while things look real, they are still technically "cartoony.").  But the thing about it is, Ratchet & Clank does not look like Super Mario Galaxy. It is cartoony but it's got a different style and feel to the game then Super Mario Galaxy and that's the point I'm making.

Again, I'm blaming most of this on the dumb way she spoke her opinion (I guess she should stick to the scripts instead of doing live broadcasts). But she could have easily said it without sounding like an idiot and made a valid point about how she feels that the game could have advanced more visually (again. I haven't played SMG2 but I'm trying to translate what she's trying and failing so miserably to say).

I didn't miss your point. I just didn't think you had one to be honest. Your last paragraph in your initial response to me, bolded, showed that you completely missed my point. If Morgan Webb had went into a diatribe about how she didn't like the gameplay in SMG2 and how she preferred R&C gameplay it would be different. Her entire argument was based on the game being cartoony, thus the point you were making didn't apply. 

I agree with the first sentence of your most recent post, but in general you are looking for detail in her opinion that she didn't give frankly. She did the forum equivalent of trolling. She gave an opinion and didn't give any supporting statements as to how she formed that opinion. She just keep saying it's was too cartoony for me and not 3D enough. The rest of the panel whether you agreed with their views or not went to detail about why they thought what they did, good or bad, about SMG2. Morgan Webb kept repeating the same thing over and over again. 

I almost spit out my coffee when Khuutra posted a meme.

OT: Wait... I can't be on topic. This thread was about Morgan Webb being a stupid bitch and ripping on Mario for no valid reason.

Off-Topic: Opinions are opinions. But they can be stupid piles of crap. They are based on what the person themselves views about something objectively.

She thinks Mario is cartoony due to the fact they use non-sensical characters and colorful graphics.

Opinions are not some holy grail that are not allowed to be defiled. Opinions are always based on fact and truth, and the skewing of those facts and truths to come up with an opinion is what we call into question.

Honestly, you can't take three steps without some nonsense being spouted such as "ZOMG! IT'S AN OPINION! HOW DARE YOU THINK THEY'RE DUMB FOR IT!"

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Wagram said:

So she has an opinion about Mario, so you bash her for it? What she said made sense. It is HER opinion. Don't jump down her throat because she has a critical opinion of a game you like.

This just isn't the point here, as was stated just a few posts ago.  The expression is: "everyone is entitled to their opinion".  That is, they are entitled to voice their opinion, but no where does it say that people are entitled to have their opinion respected. 

If i said, "I think all Australian people are stupid, but it's just my opinion man", could I reasonably expect people not to challenge my opinion?  If you voice an opinion that other people think is silly, misinformed or ignorant, you can expect in any forum in the world, real or electronic that people are going to jump down your throat.

That is why it is very important that before you voice an opinion you have the ability to justify it, a rather important factor that many 'opinionists' seem to skip out.  People have agreed again and again in this thread that she has the right to state her position but obviously they don't believe that Morgan whatever-her-name-is gave sufficient or appropriate justification of her opinion.