By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will definitely win at E3 this year

noname2200 said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:

Xenoblade and The Last Story.  There's lesser new IPs like FlingSmash and Line Attack Heroes too.

What new core IPs will Sony and Microsoft have?

If those two games are the new IP that will blow the HD consoles, then I expect a terrible E3.

I don't think Nintendo wants its IPs to blow the competition.  That's...unseemly.

HAHA

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
noname2200 said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:

Xenoblade and The Last Story.  There's lesser new IPs like FlingSmash and Line Attack Heroes too.

If those two games are the new IP that will blow the HD consoles, then I expect a terrible E3.

I don't think Nintendo wants its IPs to blow the competition.  That's...unseemly.

Oh, and to give a correct answer to your question:  if history is anything to go by Wii Party and Wii Relax are likely going to decimate whatever  Sony and Microsoft bring to the table.   I'd also hesitate to dismiss Xenoblade and Last Story entirely since, considering the sales history of Team Ico, they both have a shot at doing much better than Last Guardian.

That's why I said Nintendo is going to bore us, I am betting they are going to spend more time  showing us Wii party and Wii relax because those are the games that will sell 10 million and over, the problem is those types of games don't win E3's.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

That's why I said Nintendo is going to bore us, I am betting they are going to spend more time  showing us Wii party and Wii relax because those are the games that will sell 10 million and over, the problem is those types of games don't win E3's.

That's both fair and likely.  I don't think Wii Party is going to get too much exposure (it strikes me as something of a throwaway title, since the reveal was only 6 weeks from its planned release) but I do expect Wii Relax to get center stage for a long time.  And not to make too much light of it, but having an exciting presentation for "Wii Relax" doesn't sound like it'd be the right tone in the first place.

While I'm actually intrigued to see what they do with Wii Relax, I really hope they don't dwell on it at their conference.  My secret hope is that we get Nintendo 2005-levels of awesome.  But we all know that ain't happening.

AbbathTheGrim said:
Khuutra said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Wow! Nintendo will announce another Mario  game! Awesome! And another platform to play Mario! Only thing Nintendo needs to make it perfect is... another Mario game apart from the one their going to announce. Unbeatable.

Nintendo were gods during and prior to SNES, now they are nothing. I am more interested in Microsoft and the Circus they'll put on stage than Nintendo. I remember when I used to see the Nintendo64 as competition with some good games here and there that I liked to play, having a decent second place in the generation but now they are simply nothing. I am not interested in playing a Wii at all. Only games there I could see myself playingwas NSMBWXHJ because it was 2D Mario which I loved and love (hated 3D Mario) and the new Metroid game which looks good. You guys will finally crash with reality when this last game comes to sell. The sells of this game will show you the true faces (numbers) of the real gamers with a Wii. I bet that, in spite of the Wii having almost the double of units sold of what the PS3 has sold, it won't sell more than the best selling PS3 exclusive. I don't care about sells that much (only care about them because I know they afect things related to videogames) but this will show you the true face of the people that have Wiis and care for true good games. Metroid will surely deserve more than the sells it will have.

I think it is the first time I come to a Wii thread to shake things up. This is how relevant I consider Nintendo this generation.

Whether or not you like what Nintendo is doing this generation has nothing to do with some absolute metric of quality, nor with whether or not they're "relevant". They're the most relevant players on the field.

Metroid as an absolute measure of "core" presence on the Wii is fallacious. The average Metroid game sells about ~1.5 million copies or less. Expecting the game to sell over 5 million is unrealistic, unfair, and unreasonable to such a degree that it is nearly ridiculous. Metroid is and has always been a third-tier series for Nintendo, if that.

If you want a proper indicator, look to either Zelda, which is a second-tier series that has handily outsold every PS3 exclusive (and more than that if you count the Gamecube version), or to New Super Mario Bros Wii - a core game that has already tripled and will easily quadruple the current best-selling PS3 exclusive.

More, taking the sales of any game and using that to arrive at some loftier explanation of the userbase is fallacious. You cannot draw muc of anything based on one game.

More, even if you could, trying to pass qualitative judgment on a library based on the people who are buying a console is prejudiced against people with different tastes. It's unfair and representative of a xenophobic mentality which is more or less exactly what Nintendo is doing its best to make gaming grow beyond in this generation.

Whether of not you think that Nintendo is relevant has nothing to do with what they really are this generation. Even if they sell four times the amount of consoles that the competition gets to sell, that doesn't make them relevant in my eyes and the eyes of a lot of people who have been into real gaming for generations. Like in music, the norm has been that if sells and if it has the acceptance of the majority, it is crap. However, this wasn't the case with videogames because videogames used to be made for gamers and not for people who just want to make a novelty purchase by buying a Wii with Wii sport Resort and Wii Sun Tan and leave the console there to die.

Metroid is not an absolute measure of the core gamer in the Wii, what Metroid represents is what measures the true core gamer in the Wii with gameplay that asks more than jumping and punching enemies and slashing and casting spells in an infantile and childish fashion. Metroid is a game that represents games that can't be picked by any single person, people which aren’t gamers or that don’t have the interest of being one, and still have some fun. It will take more than those noob friendly games that these non-gamers with controller in hand recognize as games. Changing from 2D to 3D perspective, third person to first person perspective and with fast action that hopefully will ask quick reflexes, this is something that mommy and grandma wont be able to do in five minutes and then leave so that they can return to chat with neighbors and go to the kitchen. Games were made for gamers and since Nintendo couldn't top Sony they decided to grab people who are not within this gaming world with what I bet and hope will be their eventual doom.

Now, Sony and Microsoft want to ride that train too. Sony is promising to take a supposed approach to motion gaming for the core gamer which we have yet to see and Natal with what I have seen will end up making even lamer motion gaming than that of the Wii with some possible good implementations of it to core gaming. All the focus of these companies would have been directed to the development of great games but now they are trying to benefit from the interest of people who have little to do to with gaming in this motion novelty. I won't mind Sony's motion interest as long as it doesn't compromise with the development of the true great games they are known for; otherwise they can screw themselves with Nintendo for all I will care.

Metroid third tier for you? Games like Metroid should be fist tier in the gaming world. Nintendo just tries to bring about simple and childish games that will cater to children and the parents who buy them. If Nintendo really wants to make gaming go beyond, they should try to go beyond themselves first and make mature games with violent content for a change instead of bringing a console which strives to be the politically correct one for parents to protect their children. I can play all sorts of games violent and non-violent, serious and cute ones. But a gaming developer that only focus in simple games, without storyline depth and are far from being the top of the line. Not all games need to have storyline, but not all games need to lack one. Nintendo simply fails to diversify among several other things.

On the other hand, Sony brings us gamers a little of everything for every type of gamer with LBP, GOW, Fat Princess, Killzone, Flower, Gran Turismo. If Sony doesn't create the game, they assist with their creation and publish them helping to get games out there. What do Nintendo bring apart from their platforms and bland motion garbage? Nothing. I test my love for Sony at every moment, I wasn't in gaming during the beginning of this generation so I wasn't there when Sony entered with the left foot, but maybe if I did I would have told them to fuck themselves before they got to put their shit together and retake the top at the gaming development like they did with the PS and PS2.

Nintendo is not making gaming grow beyond in this generation. That is what Sony and (I hate to say) Microsoft have done this generation. The only thing that Nintendo has done is a smart tactical approach with their machine in order to remain alive and with it make the first real threat that real and dedicated gaming have seen since the game crash at the mid 80s that, ironically, Nintendo helped save that one time.

Wow.. And this folks, is a prime example of what we call "projection." Everything you've descrbied about Nintendo in this paragraph fits PRECISELY with MS, as well as your precious Sony.

You should  be happy the Wii exsits, because without it, the industry right now would be headed quickly down the tubes. Wii is one of the most successful consoles of all time, and yet industry revenue isi STILL down. Imagine the turmoil the industry woul be in WITHOUT the Wii!

Sony and Ms are sticking with sustaining values, in orderto remain "alive" in the console industry. They are overshooting their technological values and adding features like Blu Ray and HD, that the mainstream gamer simply does not care much about. This explains the downturn in industry revenue, and why if MS and Sony do NOT change their ways soon, will soon become irrelivent.

Like in the NES era, Nintendo is keeping gaming fresh, and bringing in new and ex-gamers in order to keep gaming afloat. Because at Iwata said, the industry has nothing to do but shrivel up and die without gaming expanding and reaching out to new audiences. Sony and MS may have "next gen" consoles, but the Wii is a new gen console.

Also, Sony brings something to everyone, while Nintendo doesn't? LOL, I had to read this a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things... Sony makes games that appeal to the male gamer 16-30, but little beyond that. Nintendo has brought gaming back to the masses, by cutting the cinema bs and complexity to games, and returning to gaming's roots. Nintendo's quality of games is FAR beyond almost any other developer these days. It's too bad you fail to see that. I also feel sorry for you that you seem to require blood and gore in your games in order for you to enjoy them.

These snobby self proclaimed "real"or "hardcore" gamers (like the one I just quoted) are the biggest bunch of phonies ever.. They going around boasting about how they are "TRUE" gamers (whatever the hell that means) while they get all bonerific to HD graphics and high polygons. Then they have the gaul to point at these new Wii gamers, dennouncing and criticizing them, claiming them to be "casual" and "non gamers." What a joke.. Just who made these people the gaming police anyway?

I love the casual Wii games and Wii gamers because they are truely the ones that capture the essence of what it means to be a gamer. They enjoy games for their pure FUN. They don't care about all the exterior superficial BS like graphics and epic cinematics. THESE people in my mind are the true hardcore gamers. Not the snob techies who pose as gamers. They are merely hpocritical posers to me.

Keep in mind, I don't include all HD gamers in this rant. I own a Xbox 360 myself and will soon have my new PS3. I'm just refering to the stuck up ones that criticize Nintendo, Wii, and its fans, and treat them like lesser gamers because they don't fall for the manufactured advertising and hype over graphics, while they act like they're somehow superior.

Around the Network
psrock said:
noname2200 said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:

Oh, and to give a correct answer to your question:  if history is anything to go by Wii Party and Wii Relax are likely going to decimate whatever  Sony and Microsoft bring to the table.   I'd also hesitate to dismiss Xenoblade and Last Story entirely since, considering the sales history of Team Ico, they both have a shot at doing much better than Last Guardian.

Huh? What does win E3? And what do they win if they win E3? Is there some trophy or something I've never heard?

I love the casual Wii games and Wii gamers because they are truely the ones that capture the essence of what it means to be a gamer. They enjoy games for their pure FUN. They don't care about all the exterior superficial BS like graphics and epic cinematics. THESE people in my mind are the true hardcore gamers. Not the snob techies who pose as gamers. They are merely hpocritical posers to me.

Well said. One thing I've noticed is how fun the new games are. I find my self growing away from the "hardcore," games, and I can't say I miss them. Well said (the whole post was good).

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Anyone that plays games is a gamer and everyone thats a gamer basically has games to represent them on each console.

Well not necessarily. My sister bought a wii for wii fit, only to lose weight. She has 2 games: wii fit and wii sports. She only plays each game a few times every month(but mostly wii fit). She has no idea what Metal Gear Solid, Halo, God of War or Zelda is; she doesn't care about games in general, she does not visit game forums and does not anticipate the release of any game.

Do you think she's a gamer? For me a gamer is someone who has passion for games. Someone who prefers brawl over tekken is no less gamer than someone who owns all 6 tekken games, as long as he cares about the game he owns. But someone who plays 2-3 times a month a "fun" game such as  Game Party or Singstar is not a gamer IMHO.

Hmm, interesting.

The gaming press would never admit to Nintendo "winning" an E3. Nintendo could drop 17 3rd party exclusives and reveal 36 new IPs and a bitchin' Zelda that looks better than Crysis, but it still wouldn't be enough because StarTropics wasn't there after 20 years.

I wouldn't rely on Wii Party or Wii Relax to rule the holidays, but that is because the titles are so different that you can never really predict their sales patterns. Did anyone really know how big Wii Fit would get? As for Sony and Microsoft, I've had a 360 for over 2 years. No new IP is going to come from them that I will actually care about. Nothing showed up last year, and I don't expect much now. Sony has Killzone 3 and some more sequels, but their focus will be unfortunately split towards Move.

The elitism towards less active gamers displayed previously in this thread was disgusting. Who do you think you are, and where the hell do you get off saying who belongs and who doesn't? Nintendo or any other company can make whatever the hell games they want. If you don't like it too bad, but just because they aren't pumping out shooters and bloodfests like the Soda Factory doesn't make them irrelevant. The altitude must be pretty disorienting on that High Horse.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:

Hmm, interesting.

The gaming press would never admit to Nintendo "winning" an E3. Nintendo could drop 17 3rd party exclusives and reveal 36 new IPs and a bitchin' Zelda that looks better than Crysis, but it still wouldn't be enough because StarTropics wasn't there after 20 years.

I wouldn't rely on Wii Party or Wii Relax to rule the holidays, but that is because the titles are so different that you can never really predict their sales patterns. Did anyone really know how big Wii Fit would get? As for Sony and Microsoft, I've had a 360 for over 2 years. No new IP is going to come from them that I will actually care about. Nothing showed up last year, and I don't expect much now. Sony has Killzone 3 and some more sequels, but their focus will be unfortunately split towards Move.

The elitism towards less active gamers displayed previously in this thread was disgusting. Who do you think you are, and where the hell do you get off saying who belongs and who doesn't? Nintendo or any other company can make whatever the hell games they want. If you don't like it too bad, but just because they aren't pumping out shooters and bloodfests like the Soda Factory doesn't make them irrelevant. The altitude must be pretty disorienting on that High Horse.

What I find amazing about this post is the fact you come into the thread talk about how MS makes no game that interest you, how Sony just has Killzone 3 and sequels, how HD gamers are all about shooters and bloodfest, yet dare to complain that people would complain about Nintendo and their games. It goes both way man, why is it so easy to dish out the complaints about MS and Sony yet feel like Nintendo is exempt.

Next Gen 

naruball said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Anyone that plays games is a gamer and everyone thats a gamer basically has games to represent them on each console.

Well not necessarily. My sister bought a wii for wii fit, only to lose weight. She has 2 games: wii fit and wii sports. She only plays each game a few times every month(but mostly wii fit). She has no idea what Metal Gear Solid, Halo, God of War or Zelda is; she doesn't care about games in general, she does not visit game forums and does not anticipate the release of any game.

Do you think she's a gamer? For me a gamer is someone who has passion for games. Someone who prefers brawl over tekken is no less gamer than someone who owns all 6 tekken games, as long as he cares about the game he owns. But someone who plays 2-3 times a month a "fun" game such as  Game Party or Singstar is not a gamer IMHO.

See that's the problem, the people that play sports games and such weren't gamers 15ish years ago when those games started to take off and appeal to masses, now there are cash prize tournaments for that sort of game genre, in fact most of those guys eventually got into more "core" games as time went by but still don't see that type of gamer REALLY REALLY into games, still he is a gamer.

Your sister is a gamer too, so long as she's playing games, she's a gamer, even if its playing a game to lose weight, it's gaming, she might go either way buying something else that appeals to her like Wii Fit Plus (if that isn't the version she already owns) or never touch another game again, cause there's plenty of people that dipped their toes into the water in the PS1 days and never bought a console again, for that time they were gamers too.

@Kyliedog

And the games you want have never been really supported as they're all low tier Nintendo IPs to expect all of them is really asking too much since a proper Donkey Kong Country hasn't released since the SNES days...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000