By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF8 had the best battle system in a FF game - who agrees? (junctions ruled)

It's really a character development system, but yes the Junction System is the best of any FF.

Around the Network

I love the junction system :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

RageBot said:
darthdevidem01 said:
LOL no!

The junction system was too convoluted for no reason, the gameplay like dtewi said got broken, you could break the game before the end of the first disc I believe. The battle system itself, as in the battles.....well you could draw magic which was weird and you could hit the R1 button when squall attacks for extra damage. The hitting R1 thing was cool actually, but still if it weren't for FF8's epic, fantastic plot (the last FF with such an awesome plot, after FF8 every FF's plot has lacked) it would be my least favourite FF game.

My favourite battle system is easily FF13's & then FF10's a distant second.....they are both on opposite ends in many ways but both were the most fun & satisfying.

Junction does not equal battle system. You can put that under growth mechanics or something, again FF7's materia system trumps FF8 there. Theres no point having variety for the sake of variety.

I agree with most of this post, except...

I don't think that 8's plot was good, at all, why?

SPOILERS:

The Villians, I mean, seriousely, Seifer has no real reason for doing what he does, especially when he knows the consequences, Ultimicia has no reason for what she's doing, and what she tries to do is idiotic as hell as well (killing everyone, except her), the completley rushed plot with stupid twists (Orphanage twist, anyone?) Whatever Ellone is doing - sending everyone's minds into the past, despite the fact that she knows the past can't be changed.

These are all seriously big plotholes in the game, however, I think that the game was simply rushed, and that given time, the plot would've made much more sense (even the developers themselves said so!)

And anyway, I have some more-than-usual bias against 8, because this game is the reason for why disc 2 of Xenogears was what it was (8 didn't have enough budget, so they took it from Xenogears')

Yeah i agree, the story started off really well, but it turned out to be more Tetsuya Normura BS about unrealistic anime sterotypes. but i loved the limit system, the idea of Squall's limit was to interact with the weapon; being able to feel the gunblade surge through your hands was fantastic. the battles were really quick, making it a lot of fun. sadly a few people have said that you would just cast Aura and spam your way through battles, or leave your HP really low to limit every battle.

And thats true, if there were no limits the battles would have no spark, they would be a bit bland.

My favorite battle system was the one from FFX; the ability to switch the team mid-battle and put everyone to good use was really fun.

The junction system was very boring thus I don't vote for FFVIII. Me being a magic addict, I remember it wasn't very nice not casting most spells because I needed them junctioned...

Currently playing FFXIII and its battle system is also a lot of fun.

Sensei said:
My favorite battle system was the one from FFX; the ability to switch the team mid-battle and put everyone to good use was really fun.

The junction system was very boring thus I don't vote for FFVIII. Me being a magic addict, I remember it wasn't very nice not casting most spells because I needed them junctioned...

Currently playing FFXIII and its battle system is also a lot of fun.

XII was really good, but again.....VIII's battle system is about limit breaks, NOT about junctioning. Junctioning is something you do OUT OF COMBAT through a menu screen. Drawing is something you do during during a few battles during the beginning of the game, and several battles towards the ending, and it is relatively unnecessary.

The beauty of the battle system is in the efficienty and interaction you actually have with it. Nearly every action requires a minigame(even getting the said limit break to pull up) and every attack is a devastating haymaker. It is NOT like most other JRPGs where you select and action and watch the animation, it requires timing, effieciency, and in Zell's case, great skill to master these attacks. Drawing and junctioning are things you do to prepare for battle, not things you do during battle. Not real battle anyway.

Grinding by definition is "boring," I've yet to see a game that could make preparing for battle as fun as the actual battle(though Fire Emblem comes close).

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
AkibaFan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
LOL no!

The junction system was too convoluted for no reason, the gameplay like dtewi said got broken, you could break the game before the end of the first disc I believe. The battle system itself, as in the battles.....well you could draw magic which was weird and you could hit the R1 button when squall attacks for extra damage. The hitting R1 thing was cool actually, but still if it weren't for FF8's epic, fantastic plot (the last FF with such an awesome plot, after FF8 every FF's plot has lacked) it would be my least favourite FF game.

My favourite battle system is easily FF13's & then FF10's a distant second.....they are both on opposite ends in many ways but both were the most fun & satisfying.

Junction does not equal battle system. You can put that under growth mechanics or something, again FF7's materia system trumps FF8 there. Theres no point having variety for the sake of variety.

junctin is part of battle sistem, it changes ur stats in battle, it affcts the outcome of battle if u use it properly, sum ppl ignored junctining & so dnt knw much about it.

Then is wearing weapons that you can't change out during combat, part of the battle system as well?

As I understood it, the battle system is the thing that happens when you are in a battle in the game, and not what happens when you are preparing for battle, in a town, without an enemy in sight.

Is the part of Mario Brothers 3 where you move from level to level indicative of the gameplay in that game?

What's worse, is here, some outline the junctioning system as the main feature of the battle system, when in actuality, in never takes place during battle, ever, once during the entire game. It's a preperation, not an attack, and it is not part of the gameplay during any actual battles, it merely affects stats and affinities behind the scenes.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

worst battle system ever, along with one of the worst FF's. I never got past the first disk because I hated the magic system so much, not to mention the story line. They also all look like plastic dolls...

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

I personally liked FFVI's battle system the best.

oh why oh why does the OP keep on looking for hopeful information on FF8. I liked FF8 story, but the combat system sucked. SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED. It was all based around DRAW and it SUCKED.

I feel better now. thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

i actually liked think FF8 had the best FF story.... and you even go to space!!!
how awesome is that!! plus the love story was so sweet xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!