By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF8 had the best battle system in a FF game - who agrees? (junctions ruled)

dtewi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
No, Final Fantasy 2 had the best battle system.

The end

O_o

You mean FF2 for NES or FF2 for the SNES?

FF2 for GBA.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
dtewi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
No, Final Fantasy 2 had the best battle system.

The end

O_o

You mean FF2 for NES or FF2 for the SNES?

FF2 for GBA.

-_-

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

as much as i love ff8, and think it's the best FF, the best battle system goes to FF XIII, although if we swap GF's for eidolons it would be even better
so my ideal FF would be FF8 (story+layout-overworld map etc +GF's) + FF XIII (Graphics and battle system)

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xxain said:
ummm..Did you qoute the wrong person? I have played FF8 many times and your not telling me anything I dont already know.

No, I was referring to your implication that junctioning at ATB were the major components in VIII's gameplay, when imo that's simply not the case. Sure they are casual components, but they are the finite parts of an infinite system. Limit break minigames are the major and most compelling components, and ATB appears, but really takes a backseat to the "game within the game." Failure to even mention the main component of gameplay when criticizing VIII's batttle system usually means that said person misunderstood said battle system.

I can tell dtewi, though critical, understood the battle system, because he instantly referenced limit breaks when goaded, which most core VIII gamers would do.

Implying that VIII's battle system is no different, or even vaguely similar to almost any other JRPG I've ever played, is imo, a gross miscalculation, and made me believe that you hadn't actually delved into the battle system as much as you could have.

However, if you have, then perhaps you subscribe to a different philosophy concerning the actual battles.

Zen what are you taking about? I haven't said anything about the battle system the whole thread, Just that FF8's battle system not called junction its ATB. Ive played FF8 3 times in my life i know every trick of the trade in the game. Im not denying the importance and levels of deepness in the the Junction...just the battle system is not called Junction... thats it stop twisting my words

jneul said:
as much as i love ff8, and think it's the best FF, the best battle system goes to FF XIII, although if we swap GF's for eidolons it would be even better
so my ideal FF would be FF8 (story+layout-overworld map etc +GF's) + FF XIII (Graphics and battle system)

Im still shocked everytime somebody says FFXlll is best at something other than graphics.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
jneul said:

Im still shocked everytime somebody says FFXlll is best at something other than graphics.

i throw up a little everytime i see it.

mtlca66 said:
Xxain said:
jneul said:

I throw up when elitism rears its head.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

mtlca66 said:
Xxain said:
jneul said:

I wouldn't go that far, FFXlll was a good game, but there is at least 1 other FF thats does a better job the Xlll rather its story, character, gameplay you name it

Xxain said:
jneul said:

Don't get me wrong i still like FF XIII:):) But to me FF XIII was lacking somewhat in story, the lineraity was overblown(by certain reviewer's) admitedly and when you get to grand pulse it's like a whole different FF you are playing on:):)

To be honest each FF has their own advantages and disadvantages, but I do know what I am going on about as I haver done 200hrs nearly on FF XIII now and I'm so close to that platinum.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

I personally like Final Fantasy VII's battle system more than any other.

But that's just me.