By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF8 had the best battle system in a FF game - who agrees? (junctions ruled)

X-2 ftw

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
dtewi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Zathic said:
The Junction system was insanely boring, and in the end summoning was easier and overly powered.

That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the battle system. Summons in VIII end up being FARRR less efficient and totally ineffective towards the last half of the game if you even attempt to delve into the weapon upgrading system.

I've been saying for years, that VIII has one of the best, and most complex, AND most misunderstood battle systems in any game ever, and if you think Summoning is even an option, then you have misunderstood this battle system as well.

I'll talk to you since you have neater writing.

It just mostly seems that Junction is mindless busy work and in the end you really only do spam limits.

It's true, but the junctioning does end, and it's actually quite addictive imo. However, the limit breaks are the meat of the game and.....how do you not like spamming limit breaks, lol?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xxain said:
Junction is not a battle system.. FF8 had the same battle ATB as everything other FF after FF4 ending with 10

Again, this statement shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the battle system in VIII.

VIII's battle system depends on weapon upgrads, and revolves around the Limit Break. ATB is actually changed by this.

In VIII, your current limit break is determined by your crafted weapons. The ability to craft weapons requires intricate knowledge of the enemies and their drops, so most people skip that part of the game, and focus on ineffectual junctions and basic summons. This is a mistake, and this is not how the VIII is meant to be played. VIII's biggest flaw is its unwillingness to explain its battle system.

Allow me:

In VIII, the only attacks you should nearly ever deal are limit breaks. You can consecutively dish them out by dropping to yellow health(or using an aura spell), and pressing the square button to reset your turn(instantly) until the limit break ability pops up(effectually spamming a reset on your attack meter until you can perform a limit break, usually takes 1-4 seconds real time). Limit breaks in VIII are devestating attacks, and can much more often than not, kill any boss in one hit, assuming you are using the correct characters. These limit breaks involve very complex minigames which determine the damage they dish out.

As you upgrade your weapons(4 upgrades in total I believe, very difficult to obtain) you gain access to much more devestating limit breaks. Squall, for instance, gains the chance to access Lionheart(youtube it) and Zell adds prescious seconds too his combo timer, allowing for a string of devestating repeat blow attacks(you can turn those few seconds into several minutes of actual attack time, using the correct technique).

Drawing simply boosts your stats, it requires hours of practice and patience to master the limit break system in VIII, and VIII actually rewards you for NOT leveling up until the islands of heaven and hell are accessable with permanent stat increase per level due to special items only reachable at that time.

Overall, VIII's battle system is the most complex, most misunderstood, and worst explained battle system I can ever remember. There are people who have beaten the game several times, and who still do not understand the battle system, how to spam limit breaks, or how to even deal successful and efficient limit breaks. Again, these revolve around highly engrossing minigames which can suck you in, and which can let you deal nearly infinite damage in the range of a few terms, drawing has nothing to do with it.

...and if you don't think this was intended as the proper way to play, try beating Omega without knowing the battle system, and despair.(PS I remembered all of this off the top of my head, just to give you an idea of how into VIII I once became). Watch this video...check out 5:47 onward at least. To do that much damage setting through a summons(most maxint out at 9999 damage and lasting for several minutes) animation would take weeks, and since you can only concievably survive 1 or 2 attacks from the boss would be impossible. Summons are a joke in the game, and should never be used, except just to see what they look like.

ummm..Did you qoute the wrong person? I have played FF8 many times and your not telling me anything I dont already know.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
dtewi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Zathic said:
The Junction system was insanely boring, and in the end summoning was easier and overly powered.

That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the battle system. Summons in VIII end up being FARRR less efficient and totally ineffective towards the last half of the game if you even attempt to delve into the weapon upgrading system.

I've been saying for years, that VIII has one of the best, and most complex, AND most misunderstood battle systems in any game ever, and if you think Summoning is even an option, then you have misunderstood this battle system as well.

It just mostly seems that Junction is mindless busy work and in the end you really only do spam limits.

It's true, but the junctioning does end, and it's actually quite addictive imo. However, the limit breaks are the meat of the game and.....how do you not like spamming limit breaks, lol?

Limit breaks are fun.

But when the main strategy is always "Cast Aura - Renzokuken" that's just not good gameplay.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Actually....unless you've obtained Proof of Omega, you probably aren't qualified to comment in this thread. I know that sounds elitist and assholish all in one, but the end game, post drawing is really what the entire battle system is building up to, during the game, and something that MOST OFTEN is completely missed and misunderstood. Commenting on this battle system without making a serious run at Omega is kind of like watching Godfather, not understanding any of the themes, and missing the last hour of the movie, but still giving it a bad review.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
dtewi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
dtewi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Zathic said:

Limit breaks are fun.

But when the main strategy is always "Cast Aura - Renzokuken" that's just not good gameplay.

lol, I stick to my assertion that the limit break minigames are the "funnest" part off the gameplay, and thus, accessing them multiple times is one of the reasons that I personally loved the game.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

No, Final Fantasy 2 had the best battle system.

The end

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

The end

O_o

You mean FF2 for NES or FF2 for the SNES?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Xxain said:

ummm..Did you qoute the wrong person? I have played FF8 many times and your not telling me anything I dont already know.

No, I was referring to your implication that junctioning and ATB were the major components in VIII's gameplay, when imo that's simply not the case. Sure they are casual components, but they are the finite parts of an infinite system. Limit break minigames are the major and most compelling components, and ATB appears, but really takes a backseat to the "game within the game." Failure to even mention the main component of gameplay when criticizing VIII's batttle system usually means that said person misunderstood said battle system.

I can tell dtewi, though critical, understood the battle system, because he instantly referenced limit breaks when goaded, which most core VIII gamers would do.

Implying that VIII's battle system is no different, or even vaguely similar to almost any other JRPG I've ever played, is imo, a gross miscalculation, and made me believe that you hadn't actually delved into the battle system as much as you could have.

However, if you have, then perhaps you subscribe to a different philosophy concerning the actual battles.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Mr Puggsly said:

The end

ooo gawd i have mixed feelings about 2 and I dont hated it but I rather not see it return assuming ur talkin bout FF2 not FF4