By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF8 had the best battle system in a FF game - who agrees? (junctions ruled)

If anything, this video of Omega Weapon is proof enough that the gameplay in FF VIII is broken.

And when all you have to do to prevail in battle is spam your limits, it really shows how shallow the gameplay truly is.

Note: I did beat Omega Weapon using that same method.  Boring as hell.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

If anything, this video of Omega Weapon is proof enough that the gameplay in FF VIII i broken.

And when all you have to do to prevail in battle is spam your limits, it really is shallow gameplay.

Note: I did beat Omega Weapon using that same method.  Boring as hell.

protect +Aura + Limit break spam.... Thats how everybody beat OMEGA

The junction system was excellent. It wasn't boring and it was fun to try to find more of the higher level spells. It added strategy to the combat beyond simply trying to kill things. It's better than materia, because materia is 100% passive, you equip them and they do all the work, leveling up from use incidentally. FF9's armor based skill leveling is my favorite. It's passive, like materia, but the armor and weapons you use effect your performance, so it is a tactical trade of in learning skills. Armor based skill leveling is also the style used in Final Fantasy Fourteen

The best battle system is in X-2.

Job system + fast paced ATB = WIN

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Xxain said:
mtlca66 said:
Xxain said:
jneul said:
as much as i love ff8, and think it's the best FF, the best battle system goes to FF XIII, although if we swap GF's for eidolons it would be even better
so my ideal FF would be FF8 (story+layout-overworld map etc +GF's) + FF XIII (Graphics and battle system)

Im still shocked everytime somebody says FFXlll is best at something other than graphics.

i throw up a little everytime i see it.

I wouldn't go that far, FFXlll was a good game, but there is at least 1 other FF thats does a better job the Xlll rather its story, character, gameplay you name it

th is an opinion. many reviewers, evn Edge tht gave ff13 a 5/10 sed it has the best battle sitem of the series.

Around the Network
AkibaFan said:
Xxain said:
mtlca66 said:
Xxain said:
jneul said:
as much as i love ff8, and think it's the best FF, the best battle system goes to FF XIII, although if we swap GF's for eidolons it would be even better
so my ideal FF would be FF8 (story+layout-overworld map etc +GF's) + FF XIII (Graphics and battle system)

Im still shocked everytime somebody says FFXlll is best at something other than graphics.

i throw up a little everytime i see it.

I wouldn't go that far, FFXlll was a good game, but there is at least 1 other FF thats does a better job the Xlll rather its story, character, gameplay you name it

th is an opinion. many reviewers, evn Edge tht gave ff13 a 5/10 sed it has the best battle sitem of the series.

^ thats a opinion too

jneul said:

bt i see junction sistem as part of battle system. thts wher ff13 lacks, it dun't give u diversity to customize like junction system did, tht is my opinion. if we jst talk about battle then yes ff13 is th best ther for me (paradigmm roles & everything is vry fun), but i see othr things like junctions as part of battle sistem so thts why ff8 has better battle system in th end for me.

AkibaFan said:
jneul said:

bt i see junction sistem as part of battle system. thts wher ff13 lacks, it dun't give u diversity to customize like junction system did, tht is my opinion. if we jst talk about battle then yes ff13 is th best ther for me (paradigmm roles & everything is vry fun), but i see othr things like junctions as part of battle sistem so thts why ff8 has better battle system in th end for me.

i respect your opinion:):) junctioning was cool, but it did have it's flaws like making your character's too powerful, saying that i did not find FF XIII hard at all apart from long gui and once i figured him out, even that was easy.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

LOL no!

The junction system was too convoluted for no reason, the gameplay like dtewi said got broken, you could break the game before the end of the first disc I believe. The battle system itself, as in the battles.....well you could draw magic which was weird and you could hit the R1 button when squall attacks for extra damage. The hitting R1 thing was cool actually, but still if it weren't for FF8's epic, fantastic plot (the last FF with such an awesome plot, after FF8 every FF's plot has lacked) it would be my least favourite FF game.

My favourite battle system is easily FF13's & then FF10's a distant second.....they are both on opposite ends in many ways but both were the most fun & satisfying.

Junction does not equal battle system. You can put that under growth mechanics or something, again FF7's materia system trumps FF8 there. Theres no point having variety for the sake of variety.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
LOL no!

The junction system was too convoluted for no reason, the gameplay like dtewi said got broken, you could break the game before the end of the first disc I believe. The battle system itself, as in the battles.....well you could draw magic which was weird and you could hit the R1 button when squall attacks for extra damage. The hitting R1 thing was cool actually, but still if it weren't for FF8's epic, fantastic plot (the last FF with such an awesome plot, after FF8 every FF's plot has lacked) it would be my least favourite FF game.

My favourite battle system is easily FF13's & then FF10's a distant second.....they are both on opposite ends in many ways but both were the most fun & satisfying.

Junction does not equal battle system. You can put that under growth mechanics or something, again FF7's materia system trumps FF8 there. Theres no point having variety for the sake of variety.

+10 Rep Points

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you