By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More ipads sold per week than all mac models put together

Ail said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
Squilliam said:

Pretty much what you said as well. I was trying to keep it simple but yeah, its also the fact that the experience for the user is mature out of the box vs how many years did people actually have to wait for compelling software, supporting accessories like HDTVs and for them to sort out the rather bleak feature set of PSN at launch.

so what free software exactly does the Ipad come out with ?

iPhone OS.

so you're arguing the Ipad comes with kick ass software and you can't even name one example of such software ????

Squilliam is answering my comment where i was comparing ps3's launch agains iphone/ipad launch i said that sony asked for a lot of money but people saw no value on the ps3 at the beginning because it had no software to offer and the few software it did have wasnt better than wha the competition was offering. Iphones/ipad, had a better os in term of user freandliness and a huge software offering, it does have to be free , it is available thats is enough to add a lot of value to it.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

Apple fans are a lost cause...I can understand why iPod sold well at the beginning, I can understand why iPhone sold well and continues to, but I cannot believe iPad is selling well! It only does nothing should be his slogan...and it retails for hundred dollars!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Ail said:
numonex said:
superchunk said:
If true, I really have no faith in humanity. I can't believe people would pay that much for so little. Sure the apps and user interface are nice, but for something that is supposed to partially replace a laptop, its so gimped and expensive.

Apple products sell on brand name alone. The IPad is an over priced piece of garbage. Just an upsized ITouch with a heavy price. But so many idiots will buy it just like the IPhone, IPod and ITouch. You can buy a much better lap top with functionailty and multi-tasking and runs Windows 7.

IPhone is over priced smart phone that has cost some people thousands of dollars in monthly phone plan bills.

IPod is not even a good MP3.  So many better and cheaper MP3s are on the market and they are even cheaper and better quality.

Apple  sells expensive cheaply manufactured products to millions of idiots.

I woudn't go that far, but I'm kinda surprised by the number of people purchasing an Ipad at its current price while there isn't yet really a killer app for the device. 

Sure there are a lot of Apps, but none really that compelling and at this point the Ipad remains more a gadget than anything else...

Makes me wonder if the same users won't start crying in a few months when the Ipad price drop, the same way early Iphone customers did when Apple first dropped the Iphone price......

There isn't going to be a price drop for the iPad like the one for the iPhone. Apple wasn't sure the iPhone was going to be a hit, and therefore they weren't sure if they'd have the economies of scale for a lower price. Since Apple always seeks a profit on hardware, they launched the iPhone at a high enough price that they were confident to earn a profit even with sluggish sales. Once Apple knew the iPhone was a hit, they slashed the price knowing that they could gain significant market share and still earn good margins.

The iPad is already priced for marketshare. Apple is confident out of the gate, and has explained to shareholders that it feels the lower margins on iPads are worth the first mover advantage on this new class of product and iPad margins will be more in-line with other Apple products down the road. I don't think the iPad will see a price cut for a couple years. At best, Apple might knock a $100 off the base SKU on the first anniversary while bumping the specs on premium iPad SKUs.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Jumpin said:
I picked up one. It's actually a fairly good device. Apps work a lot better on it than on the iPhone except for Virtual D-pad titles which cause awkwardness.

On the plus side, it is superior to a netbook for the applications netbooks are used for; and in the first week, I probably used my iPad for a lot more than I ever used my netbook for (In two years all I ever did was watch Youtube, browse the net, and write documents with the netbook). The keyboard is vastly superior to a netbook, mostly beecause yoou dn't endd up writtting like tthis. The touch screen is vastly superior to anything else on the market, it's an incredibly smooth experience.

Also, don't judge touchscreen devices on laggy machines like the Samsung Instinct or some Android phone (even the Google Nexus One, which I have, has noticeable lag). Right now only Apple and Nokia seem to be doing it right.

First bolded statement above - superior to a netbook?  I may be ignorant, because I own neither a netbook or an iPad, but just wondering what you mean by this?  I was under the assumption that iPad's couldn't have more than 1 app open at once (may be the same for netbooks, dunno) but please enlighten me on what an iPad does superior to a netbook.

Second bolded - how is a touchscreen keyboard superior to an actual keyboard?  Is it because you are used to a full keyboard?  or do you have tourettes?  I fail to see how a touchscreen keyboard will have a less of a key refresh rate than an actual keyboard... and you know you can change that right?  So this point is kind of moot.

Third bolded, why are you comparing an iPad to an Instinct or an android phone?  Did I miss something?  Does iPad allow you to make and get calls like a cell phone?  (And I am NOT talking about Skype) - If you want to compare apples to apples I am fine with that, don't say how a device 20 times the size of a cell phone isn't as laggy..  Obviously it can have a better CPU and be able to deal with the heat from said CPU

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

The brilliance of Apple is in the content delivery platforms, much like the reason the 360 has succeeded despite its flaws and how Valve exerts such influence on PC gaming through Steam. The App Store is so much of the reason for iPhone and iPad's success, and it grows stronger every day. Yes, you may be paying a bit more upfront, but the abundance of good, quality and CHEAP software and applications for literally every purpose under the sun more than makes up for it in many people's eyes.

As an English teacher, I can download a free app, for example, that has everything Shakespeare ever wrote, downloading it and accessing it in about 30 seconds. Buying that in book form is about $45. And it certainly doesn't fit in the palm of my hand. Of course, I can access the material on the web, but if I am grading essays or even walking around a classroom, the iPad or my iPhone is so much simpler. I would definitely otherwise have bought the book. $40 of my purchase is paid for in my eyes. And that's one app.

It's just an example. People look at the hardware and say it's not worth it, which can be valid. But if you look at the proprietary nature of the platform and factor in these other components, the price becomes much lower.

Think of the PS3 launching and having all the games being $20 instead of $60. Suddenly the seemingly off-putting price tag doesn't seem so bad. That's the App Store for lots of people.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

I don't buy apple products. The only reason I have an Ipod is because I won it in a raffle. I got my hands on an Ipad the other day... underwhelming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

fastyxx said:
The brilliance of Apple is in the content delivery platforms, much like the reason the 360 has succeeded despite its flaws and how Valve exerts such influence on PC gaming through Steam. The App Store is so much of the reason for iPhone and iPad's success, and it grows stronger every day. Yes, you may be paying a bit more upfront, but the abundance of good, quality and CHEAP software and applications for literally every purpose under the sun more than makes up for it in many people's eyes.

As an English teacher, I can download a free app, for example, that has everything Shakespeare ever wrote, downloading it and accessing it in about 30 seconds. Buying that in book form is about $45. And it certainly doesn't fit in the palm of my hand. Of course, I can access the material on the web, but if I am grading essays or even walking around a classroom, the iPad or my iPhone is so much simpler. I would definitely otherwise have bought the book. $40 of my purchase is paid for in my eyes. And that's one app.

It's just an example. People look at the hardware and say it's not worth it, which can be valid. But if you look at the proprietary nature of the platform and factor in these other components, the price becomes much lower.

Think of the PS3 launching and having all the games being $20 instead of $60. Suddenly the seemingly off-putting price tag doesn't seem so bad. That's the App Store for lots of people.

I know it's just an example but you can do exactly the same thing for free on the Sony Reader or for a 1$ fee or so on the kindle...

The thing I don't like about the Ipad in regard to e-books ( aside from the issue of actually reading on the ipad) is that Apple is singlehandledly responsible for raising the price of e-books by an average 20-30%...

Before launching the Ipad they convinced the biggest publishers to switch to an agency model for e-books.

In the new model e-books prices are set up by the publishers and the retailers gets a 30% cut but can not discount the price of e-books.

So thanks to Apple all e-books published by the 5 major worldwide publishers are now priced everywhere at the same price and can not be discounted ( which is why since January most bestsellers are now 12-13$ a pop on amazon kindle and barnes and noble e-book site while they were 9.99$ before that).

That is hardly a benefit to the customer......

Imagine if suddenly the same thing started to happen for retails and the price of products was fixed everywhere by one entity and no retailer could make any discount.......

This is the new customer friendly Apple........

This is the same Apple that is currently being suspected by the DOJ for having tried to pressure the major music studios in their dealing with Amazon regarding amazons MP3 daily deals ( where amazon dared to sell songs cheaper than itunes for promotionnal deals...)

Here is the article on the DOJ investigation : http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/biztech/05/27/cnet.itunes.apple/index.html?hpt=Sbin

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Sometimes I get the feeling that iPad criticism is like a mix of PS3 and Wii criticism back when they released (expensive, nothing especial, you get tired after a fell weeks and blah blah blah).

Does it mean it will have success in the long run? mmm... It surely looks promising as long as Apple cares to improve it further.

I finally got my hands on one. I suppose it's fitting to give my impressions with the iPad virtual keyboard.

The keyboard works a little better than I thought. Not Great, but decent.
The web browsing experience is very good. Fast page losing and intuitive controls.

It's basically just a huge iPhone. I can easily see this replacing a normal computer for a good chunk of users. Seriously.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

How is it a threat to Nintendo, the DS even now is selling more than 200K a week