By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony starting to push against used games

c0rd said:
Khuutra said:

Presumably when you buy a game you are effectively buying into support for it for as long as your copy exists. When you trade in a used game and it's bought by someone else, developers aren't supporting two copies, they're supporting the one copy they were already paid for.

This is the part everyone seems to miss. People talk as if used games are like piracy, a single copy duplicating into the hands of many, but the reality is it's only a single copy going around to the same group of people.

@Barozi: That isn't true. Generally the top selling games are the ones people keep, an easy example being Nintendo games or online multiplayer games like CoD (the arcade type, always fun in short bursts). It's the same with movies, people don't get tired of all of them. There are some worth keeping, otherwise people wouldn't bother buying DVD's, they would rent or find a cheaper option instead.

The problem with many videogames today is they are designed to be fully enjoyable once, and then disposable afterward. Generally people play them out for many hours straight, then once they beat the game, they have no need of playing it ever again. It's no wonder these games have so much trouble with used sales, they aren't worth keeping.

If developers want money for each person that plays their game (which seems to be the direction they're going in), they better sell them for a hell of a lot less than $60. Personally I'll be boycotting any game that employs this policy, so I hope Sony doesn't carry this onto any game I care about.

I'm pretty sure GTA IV had a lot of used sales as well as Crackdown for example. None of those games are short or have zero replayability.

And I'm VERY sure other high selling games including CoD and Mario Kart for example have tons of used sales as well.

Playing videogames is one of the CHEAPEST way to get yourself entertained and people still bitch about their prices. very sad.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
I can't help but think this will promote more piracy...

Yes exactly, hearing these things makes me more willing to pirate games, since I can't do want I whant with original games already why would I have to pay for them?

Well I hope this is just for online multiplayer and does not affect local multiplayer...

this is a clever idea, I hope other developers also try this

dobby985 said:
Garnett said:
dobby985 said:
Garnett said:

A way to kill the game market.

Im not going to spend $60 on every fucking game i want to play, especally if its shit.

I rented over 100 games on Xbox, and iv only bought maybe 5 of them. If i cant rent games that i can full play (no bullshit $5 to play online) then im done with Consoles, ill take my ass and go back to PC, you can call me Shio number 2!

The correct way to combat used games is to offer a free incentive, like EA is doing with Bad Company 2. I bought the game new for $60 even though i already had the code (got a spare code from a friend) but i still bought it new just to support DICE. If you offer free DLC with new games then people will buy them as long as the DLC is worth it.

Another option is what EA is doing with BF Heroes, instead of it being free, sell the game for $30 and sell it in stores, but make it where you can buy new constums and new guns for $0.99 each,People LOVE to buy stuff, i know i would spend another $5 for additional L4D2 outfits or even to play as L4D1 cast. You can sell a game through Digal Download for $20 on consoles but as long as you have stuff to buy people will buy it.

The minute major companys start taking away multiplayer functions from rented games, im done with console gaming. Its getting way to expensive to properly enjoy games. Steam is the future if they start this bullshit.

This sorta thing has been happening on the PC for years now.

Free games or cheap games with DLC? Yep it has and thats why Consoles should follow suit.

If you buy or register a game with Steam you can't sell it. But yes, the games are usually cheaper.

Oh yeah Steam, i fully support Steam. Steam knows how to go about selling games.

Around the Network

That is an utterly stupid!  

How can they think something like this would be a good idea?

I usually don't buy used games... but this sucks.
Companies in dire need of money, keep that to yourselves please.

i like this, i dont buy used games ever. if more ppl buy games new then a sequel for a game u like, is more of a possibility.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Barozi said:

I'm pretty sure GTA IV had a lot of used sales as well as Crackdown for example. None of those games are short or have zero replayability.

And I'm VERY sure other high selling games including CoD and Mario Kart for example have tons of used sales as well.

Playing videogames is one of the CHEAPEST way to get yourself entertained and people still bitch about their prices. very sad.

GTA IV didn't have short replayability in your opinion, but obviously not to many others. It may not even be a game worth playing through once, to people who were disappointed by the game. Losing sales to used games is the price you pay for dissatisfied customers.

Games like CoD and Mario Kart probably do have many used sales, due to the games' sheer popularity. However, these are far outnumbered by people who actually want to keep the games. That's why they're still selling so strongly to this day. Look at how the games have held their value (on ebay, half.com or other sites) - Mario Kart is still around $35-40 used (only $5-10 less than Amazon), while GTA IV (360) is down to about $10.

If you look at it this way, you'll notice the "bad" games (in gamers' perspectives) are the ones that get hurt by used sales, because so many new buyers wanted to get rid of their copy in order to buy another game, hopefully one worth keeping. Some exceptions are how games like CoD drop in value when their sequels replace them, because people no longer need of the previous game. They also drop in value (as do other multiplayer games like Gears) due to things like map packs being tied to online accounts, which later come with new copies (Game of the Year editions).

As a customer, this is more to my liking. It punishes the companies that pump out sequels (killing off older CoD's), games that are bad / low replayability / don't meet expectations (GTA IV), because the used games market adjusts its price to compensate for these things.

Instead of sucking up and spoon-feeding money to all of these developers (no matter how crappy the games may be), why not make them fight for your money? These losses will eventually drive them to make better games, to creativity, so we'll benefit in the end. (edit: I guess this is assuming you agree with what the market decides)

@Smidlee: Some companies, like Nintendo (even charging $50) are doing fine with their pricing. If investors stopped putting money in games due to losses, I can't honestly say I'd care much. The companies currently in trouble aren't the ones I care about, nor do I care for the games' very high development costs. Even if I did like the games, I don't like the idea of attacking the used market simply because these companies can't keep themselves afloat.

Well, I'm someone who likes playing more than just Mario and CoD. (In fact I never like Mario) There are many games I love to play that has no where the sales of those two examples. One of my favorite all time console RPG was Vagrant Story and it was a flop in sales. This was not because this game was of low quality but because of the depth of it's combat system. So it not like developers in the past haven't tried to develop deep and better games on consoles. I guess this is why I'm more of a PC gamer.

For a recent example I had a lot of fun playing ther ugly cheap developing game like Mount & Blade. One of the best (sword fighting) action games I've played in a long time. OF course this game will never come close to the sales Of Cod or Mario.