By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony starting to push against used games

theRepublic said:
Like others in this thread, I hope that publishers see bad sales for all games with this policy in place. Like I asked in other threads about similar topics, won't the used market just adjust for this? I think the resale value of games with this policy is just going to fall, making the games even cheaper, and thus more attractive to used buyers. Maybe the publishers are counting on the lower resale value of these games to keep people from thinking that it is worth it to sell them. That could keep the used supply of these games lower than normal.

If anything, it would affect the consumers, not gamestop. They'd just pay you less for your used games.

Around the Network

As if the world, or Sony needed to give anybody one more reason to avoid the PSP. Moves like this sure don't help re-animate Sony's handheld sales.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Galaki said:
theRepublic said:
Like others in this thread, I hope that publishers see bad sales for all games with this policy in place. Like I asked in other threads about similar topics, won't the used market just adjust for this? I think the resale value of games with this policy is just going to fall, making the games even cheaper, and thus more attractive to used buyers. Maybe the publishers are counting on the lower resale value of these games to keep people from thinking that it is worth it to sell them. That could keep the used supply of these games lower than normal.

If anything, it would affect the consumers, not gamestop. They'd just pay you less for your used games.

Definitely.

What I was trying to say is that it is likely that consumers would not want to pay as much for a used game if they have to turn around and pay the publisher to unlock features.  So to keep their margin, Gamestop would depress the trade in value.  So if a regular game retails for $60, sells used for $55, and has a trade in value of $30 (I'm guessing here, I haven't traded in a game in 15 years), then one of these games with a $10 fee to unlock features would retail for the same $60, but then sell used for around $45, and have a trade in value of $20.

Although since some people don't care much for multiplayer, I would guess that the used sale price and trade in value may only be depressed by $5 or $8.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Regardless, how is it making business sense when you kept on reducing the value of your product?
It is exactly what the annoying DRM is. And now we get this "rent" thing.

I think this is a good idea. I support the devs more than anything.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
I can't help but think this will promote more piracy...

yer yer I agree, especially for PSP game.

But if they dot his for PS3 games thats an ACE move against the 2nd hand market!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I support the gaming industry so 95% of the time I buy my games new. The other 5% are specific circumstantial situations. If you're a true gamer, you'd buy your games new, too. And if a game is too expensive new and you don't "have to" have it now, just wait for a price drop. So anyone's move (including SONY's) to push against used games is not an issue with me and shouldn't be for anyone else.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

KungKras said:
Barozi said:
KungKras said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
support your developers and publishers. the retailers will get paid either way.

Developers that makes gams that people get tired of and sell are not worth supporting.

People get tired of all games, so I guess no developer is worth supporting right ?

I can give you a long list of games that I haven't grown tired of despite playing them a lot, and I can give you an even longer list with games that I don't wanna sell even though I don't play them anymore.

GOOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

darthdevidem01 said:
Soriku said:
I can't help but think this will promote more piracy...

yer yer I agree, especially for PSP game.

But if they dot his for PS3 games thats an ACE move against the 2nd hand market!

Piracy might get worse.  But whether it's piracy or used games, the publisher/developer will not directly gain any more sales though piracy and used game sales.  So in principle and the short run at the very least, piracy is a non-issue and an excuse at the best.  So maybe piracy might get worse.  So if used sales decreased and piracy increased for those would have bought the game used, as long as more new copies are being sold then it a step in the right direction.

Forget the used market. This will kill the renting market for games at blockbusters.