By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo titles deserve critical acclaim?

zero129 said:

Well there you go and there you have it.

No point in us going over this anymore, you only enjoy PC FPS, i enjoy any game that i find good.

And you must have a shitty connection if you're getting lots of lag etc on Halo 3 as i've never noticed any of that what you said when playing online.

and yes i would like custom maps etc on my console FPS games like Halo, but thats how console FPS have always been they are not open systems like the PC, this could change in the future, but even if it doesn't thank god Bungie makes great Multi player maps and modes, so i still wont let something like that keep me away from enjoying a great game and it seems so does 10 million+ other players..

I enjoy any game that I find good, and have owned at least one console every generation back to the NES.  And there's no getting around the fact that for FPS, PC > Console.  RTS as well.

Around the Network

Well microsoft have bought that many companies out for their own gain why wouldnt they pay off a load of magazines?

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
Well microsoft have bought that many companies out for their own gain why wouldnt they pay off a load of magazines?

Oh, will you shut up!? You're not making any good reasons and I'm not a even a Halo or a Microsoft fan. All you're doing is insulting Microsoft as an childish and fanboyish excuse to justify your Halo hatred, you're a obviously not 29 years-olds by the way you act. I'm not even a big fan of Microsoft products, but you're just a sad fanboy who needs to grow up and go outside for once and talk to real people instead of playing Mario Galaxy for the 500,435,657th time. I like Nintendo, but people like you cause others. such as me, to hate it. Stop behaving as Nintendo is your life and your obsessive hobby, go outside and get a job or a constructive lifestyle, instead of playing Nintendo games 24/7 and going around in the net bashing Microsoft in the name of Nintendo. You're making something materialistic you're lifestyle, it's just made for your entertainment and thats all. Do think that your life is going to get any better by staying in your maximum comfort zone? No, it just makes you more mentally and physically ill than you are right now.

yo_john117 said:
CollectiveCynic said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Funtime said:
What you have to realize about the halo series is that the amount of fun you have playing is often related more to having friends over and playing split screen on XBL than it is about the campaign, and that kind of fun is hard to review or measure.

The first game is the best of the bunch and it has a very limited and terrible MP. In fact, the first game is really worthy of praise based only off its great gameplay innovation that are now part of every FPS across all platforms. The shield system and the gun inventory system from CE bacame staples of the genre after that game, and they still are. It was a great game with a great story and great graphics. It was also innovative and spawned a hugely successful hardcore following, while being critically and financially successful, all based off very nearly an exclusively Single Player game.

Yes, CE is a AAA title and a classic for all shooter fans.

Actually, Halo Combat Evolved wasn't innovative. It took many elements and concepts from previous first-person shooter, then refined them into a well designed and polished package.

Examples:

• Off Hand Grenade Throwing: Terminator Future Shock
  • Vehicles: Battlezone
  • Regenerating Shield/Health: Trespasser
  • Two weapon carry limit: Rainbow Six
  • Ability to melee attack while holding your weapon: Duke Nukem 3D

Halo: Combat Evolved is a fantastic game, there's no denying that. However, it's not innovative. That isn't particurly a bad thing since some of the greatest games of all time aren't innovative, but such a claim would be a stretch for Halo. I also had no problem with Halo: CE's multi-player apart from it's hysterically overpowered pistol. I can create a huge ass laundry list that accounts the many reasons why I despise Halo 2's multi-player. However, I don't want to because I don't want to be flamed and I don't want to hurt other people's feelings. :P

The reason why so many people call Halo's innovative is because it took the best aspects from all the other awesome games and put it into one epic package.

It improved on all of them aswell as putting them into an awesome package. Dual Analog stick movement and aiming was a godsend too.

selnor said:
I have every Halo game. They are all fantatic games. Not everyone likes every game out there. But you cant deny that even by the 3rd iteration 11+ million people were still willing to buy Halo. That tells it is worth it's praise.

Let me rephrase that for you.

"But you cant deny that even by the 3rd iteration 11+ million people were still willing to buy Halo 3 BRAND NEW".

God knows how many second hand copies were purchased.

Around the Network
kiefer23 said:
selnor said:
I have every Halo game. They are all fantatic games. Not everyone likes every game out there. But you cant deny that even by the 3rd iteration 11+ million people were still willing to buy Halo. That tells it is worth it's praise.

Let me rephrase that for you.

"But you cant deny that even by the 3rd iteration 11+ million people were still willing to buy Halo 3 BRAND NEW".

God knows how many second hand copies were purchased.

I would say a shat load. It's rare to find Halo3 avaliable for rent at any Blockbuster etc in my city.

zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Well there you go and there you have it.

No point in us going over this anymore, you only enjoy PC FPS, i enjoy any game that i find good.

And you must have a shitty connection if you're getting lots of lag etc on Halo 3 as i've never noticed any of that what you said when playing online.

and yes i would like custom maps etc on my console FPS games like Halo, but thats how console FPS have always been they are not open systems like the PC, this could change in the future, but even if it doesn't thank god Bungie makes great Multi player maps and modes, so i still wont let something like that keep me away from enjoying a great game and it seems so does 10 million+ other players..

I enjoy any game that I find good, and have owned at least one console every generation back to the NES.  And there's no getting around the fact that for FPS, PC > Console.  RTS as well.

Yeah ok what ever you say there you go talking like opinion is fact again, im done with this as you're impossible to talk to and can't see anything from someone elses point of view except for you're own.

the is lots of people out there that like console FPS better then PC FPS, some of them even started playing FPS on PC.

Now as for me i enjoy playing FPS on "Both" PC and Console, as some FPS are better suited to consoles and some to PC imo.

Could you go ahead and name a console FPS that's better than it's PC counterpart? 

Modern Warfare 2 is the closest I can think of... and there's nothing better about the console counterpart, just the PC version has been gimped til they're nearly equal :D

zero129 said:

Look like i said, im done with this, you have you're opinions i have mine See that at the end of my last comment where it says "IMO".

as its just my opinion so no point in me going naming out a list of games when you're just going to disagree with me and continue talking like you're opinion = Fact when it does not.

Is it so hard for you to see that someones opinion may not be the same as you're own?.

Anyway im finished here someone else can take over, i dont like talking to Fanboys or elitests of any kind of console or PC...

as most of them always try to talk like their opinions is fact or that they know it all and can never see anything from anyone elses point of view.

Hey, there's a lot of fact in there as well as my opinion. 

Like it might be your opinion that the mind-numbingly repetitive levels of Halo are a good thing.  I just disagree with that assesment (yes, I editorialized, but take out "mind-numbingly" and the statement is 100% fact.  Halo's levels are absurdly repetitive).

And there's the fact that I can play more games on dedicated servers, with more players, on more maps, with more game modes... just a whole lot more.  All facts.

Anyway, JFYI I tend not to believe the big console/Halo fans who claim they played Quake and all that fun stuff in the 90's.  I suppose if I were in your shoes, I might not believe that I've played Halo... but I'd be more than willing to take a picture of my Halo box in front of the VG Chartz screen for ya. 

So, carry on... I'll keep playing games on the platform they are best on (which includes consoles for certain genres), you keep trying to shoehorn games onto platforms they were never meant for. 

max power said:
zero129 said:

Look like i said, im done with this, you have you're opinions i have mine See that at the end of my last comment where it says "IMO".

as its just my opinion so no point in me going naming out a list of games when you're just going to disagree with me and continue talking like you're opinion = Fact when it does not.

Is it so hard for you to see that someones opinion may not be the same as you're own?.

Anyway im finished here someone else can take over, i dont like talking to Fanboys or elitests of any kind of console or PC...

as most of them always try to talk like their opinions is fact or that they know it all and can never see anything from anyone elses point of view.

Like it might be your opinion that the mind-numbingly repetitive levels of Halo are a good thing.  I just disagree with that assesment (yes, I editorialized, but take out "mind-numbingly" and the statement is 100% fact.  Halo's levels are absurdly repetitive).

And there's the fact that I can play more games on dedicated servers, with more players, on more maps, with more game modes... just a whole lot more.  All facts.

Anyway, JFYI I tend not to believe the big console/Halo fans who claim they played Quake and all that fun stuff in the 90's.  I suppose if I were in your shoes, I might not believe that I've played Halo... but I'd be more than willing to take a picture of my Halo box in front of the VG Chartz screen for ya. 

So, carry on... I'll keep playing games on the platform they are best on (which includes consoles for certain genres), you keep trying to shoehorn games onto platforms they were never meant for. 

Console shooters are a different breed than PC first-person shooters. Many try to emulate PC FPS style of gameplay for consoles, but most have failed, Such as Red Faction for example. When console first-person shooters actually uses it's limitation as it's advantage by emulating it's own gameplay style made specifically for consoles, than they can rival what's on the PC and differentiate themselves. Halo isn't about twitch and precise like most arcade shooters (Due to the fact that console controls aren't as precise as the mouse), it's about utilizing the gun's adaptive strengths, utilizing grenades by throwing them offhand, and melee attacks. There's a rhythm in the combat that most first-person shooters, even on the PC, lack. The only first-person shooters that actually utilized Halo's combat was F.E.A.R., which too had repetitive levels, but as with Halo, the combat and A.I. were so good that it really didn't hurt the game that much.

zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Oh great so now you're trying to say i've never played Quake or Doom when i was younger?.

the very FPS game i played was Doom,  i remember when Quake first came out i used to play it online all the time, i even made a few maps for it at one stage and done some re-skining of the monsters etc (i remember putting some of my friends faces on the monsters when they seen it they couldn't believe what they where seeing, good times).

When the first Half-Life was released i remember thinking FPS games cant get better then this, when the free mod was released Team Fortress i used to play that online all the time too and never played Quake or Half Life DM after that.

I remember lookin at the first Pics Of TM2 (Remember when it didn't look all cartoonie like?), and thinking this looks great can't wait for it to be released.

Quake 2 was also great i had a great time with that game, along with Unreal tornament, Duke Nukem 3D.

But hey you dont want to believe me thats fine. after all if its so hard for you to believe that a PC FPS guy could also enjoy console FPS games well then it just shows how blinded and narrow minded you are...

Seriously Zero. Let him go. He's a lost cause. He is doing nothing but asserting his opinion as fact. Until he sees this he will never understand where your coming from.