By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo titles deserve critical acclaim?

zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Look like i said, im done with this, you have you're opinions i have mine See that at the end of my last comment where it says "IMO".

as its just my opinion so no point in me going naming out a list of games when you're just going to disagree with me and continue talking like you're opinion = Fact when it does not.

Is it so hard for you to see that someones opinion may not be the same as you're own?.

Anyway im finished here someone else can take over, i dont like talking to Fanboys or elitests of any kind of console or PC...

as most of them always try to talk like their opinions is fact or that they know it all and can never see anything from anyone elses point of view.

Hey, there's a lot of fact in there as well as my opinion. 

Like it might be your opinion that the mind-numbingly repetitive levels of Halo are a good thing.  I just disagree with that assesment (yes, I editorialized, but take out "mind-numbingly" and the statement is 100% fact.  Halo's levels are absurdly repetitive).

And there's the fact that I can play more games on dedicated servers, with more players, on more maps, with more game modes... just a whole lot more.  All facts.

Anyway, JFYI I tend not to believe the big console/Halo fans who claim they played Quake and all that fun stuff in the 90's.  I suppose if I were in your shoes, I might not believe that I've played Halo... but I'd be more than willing to take a picture of my Halo box in front of the VG Chartz screen for ya. 

So, carry on... I'll keep playing games on the platform they are best on (which includes consoles for certain genres), you keep trying to shoehorn games onto platforms they were never meant for. 

Oh great so now you're trying to say i've never played Quake or Doom when i was younger?.

the very FPS game i played was Doom,  i remember when Quake first came out i used to play it online all the time, i even made a few maps for it at one stage and done some re-skining of the monsters etc (i remember putting some of my friends faces on the monsters when they seen it they couldn't believe what they where seeing, good times).

When the first Half-Life was released i remember thinking FPS games cant get better then this, when the free mod was released Team Fortress i used to play that online all the time too and never played Quake or Half Life DM after that.

I remember lookin at the first Pics Of TM2 (Remember when it didn't look all cartoonie like?), and thinking this looks great can't wait for it to be released.

Quake 2 was also great i had a great time with that game, along with Unreal tornament, Duke Nukem 3D.

But hey you dont want to believe me thats fine. after all if its so hard for you to believe that a PC FPS guy could also enjoy console FPS games well then it just shows how blinded and narrow minded you are...

Relax, it's just the internet.  I don't believe everything everyone says, neither should you.  And while I'm sure that many people have given up PC gaming in favor of console gaming, I do find it hard to believe that people who have been playing with all the advantages that the PC platform gives you would be having this argument you're having. 

Around the Network
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Look like i said, im done with this, you have you're opinions i have mine See that at the end of my last comment where it says "IMO".

as its just my opinion so no point in me going naming out a list of games when you're just going to disagree with me and continue talking like you're opinion = Fact when it does not.

Is it so hard for you to see that someones opinion may not be the same as you're own?.

Anyway im finished here someone else can take over, i dont like talking to Fanboys or elitests of any kind of console or PC...

as most of them always try to talk like their opinions is fact or that they know it all and can never see anything from anyone elses point of view.

Like it might be your opinion that the mind-numbingly repetitive levels of Halo are a good thing.  I just disagree with that assesment (yes, I editorialized, but take out "mind-numbingly" and the statement is 100% fact.  Halo's levels are absurdly repetitive).

And there's the fact that I can play more games on dedicated servers, with more players, on more maps, with more game modes... just a whole lot more.  All facts.

Anyway, JFYI I tend not to believe the big console/Halo fans who claim they played Quake and all that fun stuff in the 90's.  I suppose if I were in your shoes, I might not believe that I've played Halo... but I'd be more than willing to take a picture of my Halo box in front of the VG Chartz screen for ya. 

So, carry on... I'll keep playing games on the platform they are best on (which includes consoles for certain genres), you keep trying to shoehorn games onto platforms they were never meant for. 

Oh great so now you're trying to say i've never played Quake or Doom when i was younger?.

the very FPS game i played was Doom,  i remember when Quake first came out i used to play it online all the time, i even made a few maps for it at one stage and done some re-skining of the monsters etc (i remember putting some of my friends faces on the monsters when they seen it they couldn't believe what they where seeing, good times).

When the first Half-Life was released i remember thinking FPS games cant get better then this, when the free mod was released Team Fortress i used to play that online all the time too and never played Quake or Half Life DM after that.

I remember lookin at the first Pics Of TM2 (Remember when it didn't look all cartoonie like?), and thinking this looks great can't wait for it to be released.

Quake 2 was also great i had a great time with that game, along with Unreal tornament, Duke Nukem 3D.

But hey you dont want to believe me thats fine. after all if its so hard for you to believe that a PC FPS guy could also enjoy console FPS games well then it just shows how blinded and narrow minded you are...

Seriously Zero. Let him go. He's a lost cause. He is doing nothing but asserting his opinion as fact. Until he sees this he will never understand where your coming from.

The way he's expressing his opinion is a bit snobbish, but that doesn't mean that he should claim his arguments to be opinions. The quote "it's my opinion" or "respect other people's opinion" are overused and misused, people like you often use it to excuse any valid or legitimate criticism. Not that I'm implying that max power made any legitimate reasons (He has only made a few), but you can't seem to make any argument outside of the "It's my opinion" quote. Just because you or someone else has a different opinion, doesn't mean their opinions cannot be contested or debated. Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean they are right. The Jews need to be wiped out from the face of the earth according to the Nazi's opinions, does that mean they're right and would you respect their opinions? 

CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Seriously Zero. Let him go. He's a lost cause. He is doing nothing but asserting his opinion as fact. Until he sees this he will never understand where your coming from.

The way he's expressing his opinion is a bit snobbish, but that doesn't mean that he should claim his arguments to be opinions. The quote "it's my opinion" or "respect other people's opinion" are overused and misused, people like you often use it to excuse any valid or legitimate criticism. Not that I'm implying that max power made any legitimate reasons (He has only made a few), but you can't seem to make any argument outside of the "It's my opinion" quote. Just because you or someone else has a different opinion, doesn't mean their opinions cannot be contested or debated. Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean they are right. The Jews need to be wiped out from the face of the earth according to the Nazi's opinions, does that mean they're right and would you respect their opinions? 

Although I agree. Even facts, are made or broke by someones opinion. For example: Mouse and Keyboard is said to be better as a fact. Really? Again it's the users preference. No 1 person can say Mouse and keyboard is better than controller and say it as fact. Because it's preferance to opinion. Again why is CS better than Halo 3 online for example. Because it has Mods? But that game doesnt have Bungies maps, weapons etc. Which again is an opinion of what you prefer. Personally Halo 3 is my preferred game. Every arguement he has made is pure opinion to the beholder. He cannot understand why someone prefers Halo over PC shooters. Many do. It's preference. There is no such thing as fact where video game quality is concerned. Facts are things like Halo contains this, and CS contains that. But what you think is better is preference.

selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Although I agree. Even facts, are made or broke by someones opinion. For example: Mouse and Keyboard is said to be better as a fact. Really? Again it's the users preference. No 1 person can say Mouse and keyboard is better than controller and say it as fact. Because it's preferance to opinion. Again why is CS better than Halo 3 online for example. Because it has Mods? But that game doesnt have Bungies maps, weapons etc. Which again is an opinion of what you prefer. Personally Halo 3 is my preferred game. Every arguement he has made is pure opinion to the beholder. He cannot understand why someone prefers Halo over PC shooters. Many do. It's preference. There is no such thing as fact where video game quality is concerned. Facts are things like Halo contains this, and CS contains that. But what you think is better is preference.

You realize that there such thing as an objective opinion that are based upon facts and not subjectives quibbles. He didn't explain why keyboard and mouse controls are better than console controllers, it's whether or not that it's "better" it's how it accomplish an aspect. The keyboard and mouse offers more optional and precise controls than the controller. which is actually true in most cases. If I were to say that Big Rigs A.I. is superb while F.E.A.R.'s A.I. is terrible, and then say that it is my opinion, would you take that excuse? No, because it is dead wrong and it is downright idiotic to make such a claim that is soley based on objective facts. Whether a game is better than the other is usually pretty subjective, but if I were to say that Superman 64 is a technically superior game than any Halo game, would my "opinion" be right? 

Don't get me wrong, I know that insults such as; "it sux" or "its overrated" are not opinions but insults. People always mistake the two.

CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

You realize that there such thing as an objective opinion that are based upon facts and not subjectives quibbles. He didn't explain why keyboard and mouse controls are better than console controllers, it's whether or not that it's "better" it's how it accomplish an aspect. The keyboard and mouse offers more optional and precise controls than the controller. which is actually true in most cases. If I were to say that Big Rigs A.I. is superb while F.E.A.R.'s A.I. is terrible, and then say that it is my opinion, would you take that excuse? No, because it is dead wrong and it is downright idiotic to make such a claim that is soley based on objective facts. Whether a game is better than the other is usually pretty subjective, but if I were to say that Superman 64 is a technically superior game than any Halo game, would my "opinion" be right? 

Don't get me wrong, I know that insults such as; "it sux" or "its overrated" are not opinions but insults. People always mistake the two.

But we are doing the same thing. Controller also offers faster reactions to strafing and moving foreward and back. Do you remeber when Bungie did that Halo PC vs 360 faceoff. The top 5 spots were 360 players. Again it comes to what you prefer. Precise aiming or better movement. 

Talking technically as well. Noone really knows. Not even DF and the websites like it. The can tell you what res it is which is fact. What textures are of better res. But how do you guage a games real draw distance? Or how much is mathematically being rendered? It's to hard to really guage what a system is processing on a whole level to say 1 game is technically better than another. You can get an idea due to it's visual flair, but only the developers really know. It's common knowledge or fact if you like a certain visual process is more technically demanding than another. But that doesnt take into account everything. What if say 1 game has better textures, lighting and size of enemies, but the other has better draw distance, effects and AI. Which is more technically better? There is no way to really tell. 

Around the Network

only for those who love the game. the halo titles have the reveiw scores to back them up, so i would say?

selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

But we are doing the same thing. Controller also offers faster reactions to strafing and moving foreward and back. Do you remeber when Bungie did that Halo PC vs 360 faceoff. The top 5 spots were 360 players. Again it comes to what you prefer. Precise aiming or better movement. 

Talking technically as well. Noone really knows. Not even DF and the websites like it. The can tell you what res it is which is fact. What textures are of better res. But how do you guage a games real draw distance? Or how much is mathematically being rendered? It's to hard to really guage what a system is processing on a whole level to say 1 game is technically better than another. You can get an idea due to it's visual flair, but only the developers really know. It's common knowledge or fact if you like a certain visual process is more technically demanding than another. But that doesnt take into account everything. What if say 1 game has better textures, lighting and size of enemies, but the other has better draw distance, effects and AI. Which is more technically better? There is no way to really tell. 

The main reason the 360 players were successful is because of the fact that Halo's mechanics are revolved around the imprecise and the applications of the controller, the combat is not based around precise aiming as with most PC shooters. It's based around how the player interacts with how the weapons work and how they use offhand grenade throwing and melee attacks. If you ask me, Halo should never have been ported to the PC because the mechanics just feels wrong for the PC and mouse, which is the reason why it has a mixed impact amongst PC gamers. It's the equivalent of porting StarCraft to the Nintendo 64, it just doesn't work.

As for technical side of things, I mean stuff such as; polish, controls and game design. Superman 64 is broken, buggy, and horribly designed. It was rushed from the getgo. Halo is polished and playable. As for draw distance? There is a difference between being able to see something from a mile away with a clear view of things and looking at murky fog effects with tons of texture popping, that goes from low res to hi-res at strange moments.

CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

The main reason the 360 players were successful is because of the fact that Halo's mechanics are revolved around the imprecise and the applications of the controller, the combat is not based around precise aiming as with most PC shooters. It's based around how the player interacts with how the weapons work and how they use offhand grenade throwing and melee attacks. If you ask me, Halo should never have been ported to the PC because the mechanics just feels wrong for the PC and mouse, which is the reason why it has a mixed impact amongst PC gamers. It's the equivalent of porting StarCraft to the Nintendo 64, it just doesn't work.

As for technical side of things, I mean stuff such as; polish, controls and game design. Superman 64 is broken, buggy, and horribly designed. It was rushed from the getgo. Halo is polished and playable. As for draw distance? There is a difference between being able to see something from a mile away with a clear view of things and looking at murky fog effects with tons of texture popping, that goes from low res to hi-res at strange moments.

Again I agree on all accounts. But nothing we have talked about can be said as fact. I certainly will never force anything but raw numbers as fact. A Ferrari might be 200mph and cost £1 million. But people can still say a Mini is better. The Ferrari being better isn't a fact it's an opinion. :)

selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

Again I agree on all accounts. But nothing we have talked about can be said as fact. I certainly will never force anything but raw numbers as fact. A Ferrari might be 200mph and cost £1 million. But people can still say a Mini is better. The Ferrari being better isn't a fact it's an opinion. :)

I agree (Well, somewhat) but one thing is for certain, we've created one huge f*#$@ng pyramid.

CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
CollectiveCynic said:
selnor said:
zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:

I agree (Well, somewhat) but one thing is for certain, we've created one huge f*#$@ng pyramid.

LOL. We have. So thats how the Egyptians did it. :)