By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo titles deserve critical acclaim?

Bladeforce said:
Oh wait, those changes are critically acclaimed! LOL

You're not making a good argument here, you're just making peripheral route of persuasion to refute an argument. which is cheap and low. You're behaving like a twelve year-old now, come back if you have anything legit to say.

Around the Network

look mate you posted minor changes nothing ground breaking. I for one wont be answering in 20 years the game that first used the butt of your gun to kill enemies LOL I will admit for a console the halo franchise has helped microsoft spin into the minds of adolescents easier than before for their money but as groundbreaking titles, please these things have been on PC for years nothing groundbreaking about Halo

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
look mate you posted minor changes nothing ground breaking. I for one wont be answering in 20 years the game that first used the butt of your gun to kill enemies LOL I will admit for a console the halo franchise has helped microsoft spin into the minds of adolescents easier than before for their money but as groundbreaking titles, please these things have been on PC for years nothing groundbreaking about Halo

Except that it was the first successful one on a console...

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
Bladeforce said:

Except that it was the first successful one on the most over rated console...

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
ironman said:
Bladeforce said:

Except that it was the first successful one on the most over rated console...

Very mature...how was the xbox an overrated console? I wanna hear this!!!

Past Avatar picture!!!

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Bladeforce said:

Well how much did Galaxy 2 re-inavate the 3d platforming games?.

do you think galaxy 2 deserves its 10's its been getting?. i do

the same way i think the Halo games deserve their scores.

so dont be acting like a bitter 12 year old fanboy who is just upset cos the isn't a FPS on the wii that could hope to be as good as or as succesful as halo...

And oh yeah i bet you thought the original Goldeneye on N64 was just a Doom clone too right?, or are you even old enough to remember that game?.

There's nothing wrong with taking the better parts from other games, but there are many people who mistaken credit Bungie for inventing everything except possibly the wheel.

The problem with Halo is not that others did it before on PC, it's that others did it better before on PC.

max power said:
zero129 said:
Bladeforce said:

so dont be acting like a bitter 12 year old fanboy who is just upset cos the isn't a FPS on the wii that could hope to be as good as or as succesful as halo...

And oh yeah i bet you thought the original Goldeneye on N64 was just a Doom clone too right?, or are you even old enough to remember that game?.

There's nothing wrong with taking the better parts from other games, but there are many people who mistaken credit Bungie for inventing everything except possibly the wheel.

The problem with Halo is not that others did it before on PC, it's that others did it better before on PC.

That's a weak argument. Bungie was the first to successfully implement a FPS on a console. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Wouldn't making a really good shooter for PC require more and faster enemies? Of course PC first gamers would be dis. at CE1 as it was made with a controller as interface. I have read hundreds of times that clicking a mouse on a baddy is just faster and more precise than centering the crosshairs using analog sticks. Why is anyone surprised the game would be easier and less fun? Port teams can't make the kind of radical changes PC owners would want.

For me on the other hand it remains one of the best shooter experiences I've had and I should really take it for another spin. Right after RDR and a second playthrough on Wake.. and maybe PoP:FS. Before Reach hits for sure. Glad this thread is getting some hits but I gotta go knife a couple cougars.

ironman said:
max power said:
zero129 said:
Bladeforce said:

That's a weak argument. Bungie was the first to successfully implement a FPS on a console. 

I think most would agree that's not true, as Rare did it before Bungie.

zero129 said:
max power said:
zero129 said:
Bladeforce said:

And thats your opinion, you speak as if its fact.

imo Halo took alot of things other games did and made them seccessfull on console and added to them, thats why its so populor today.

If it was just a simple re-hash of whats been done before it would of never got the where it is today, but its cos it done all them things so well...

All Halo did was succesfully court an audience who had never really played FPS's before.  I suppose there was some effort in working the control scheme / auto-aim to do that successfully, but I don't really consider that such a huge accomplishment. 

If Halo:CE was originally released on PC, or hell if it was released on consoles today, it would recieve much harsher criticism than it originally did by people who had little/no frame of reference for first person shooters.