By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo titles deserve critical acclaim?

max power said:
CollectiveCynic said:
max power said:
CollectiveCynic said:
max power said:
Of course Halo isn't worth the praise. The games are mediocre, and only received any attention because console FPS prior to Halo was sub-mediocre.

If the game were released on PC, it would have been met with mediocre reviews.
Oh wait, it was released on PC. And it was met with mediocre reviews.
(Yes, I know, it's an "inferior port," that offers higher resolution graphics, online gameplay, and the option of playing with a controller or m/kb).

Dude, have you actually done research or just making crap up in order to make yourself seem superior or elite? 

The PC Halo port has garnered very positive reviews.

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/291594-halo-combat-evolved/index.html

It's arguable that Halo does rank up with classic PC shooters like Half-Life and Doom, I would explain why but I will allow former senior editor of GameSpot Greg Kasavin A.K.A. Best Game Critic Evar!!! to do that for me.

You're splitting hairs, I'd consider an 86 on gamerankings (83 on metacritic) to be pretty mediocre.  There were good parts, the score was great, the atmosphere was good, but the level design was just piss poor.  And while I thought the vehicle sections would be great, I felt the control scheme (pointing the camera rather than controlling the vehicle) really ruined it.  I'm not saying the game was terrible, it was just mediocre.

It's no about how you view it, it's about how they review it. To them, an eight means they found it good and how you would interpret it won't change their mindset. What? You think the world revolves around you when it comes to gaming? Don't try to twist and refute the arguments by making peripheral route of persuasions. The Halo 2 PC port wasn't well received, only averaging an 72% which meant they found it either decent or pretty good but not great. 

If there's one thing I somewhat agree with you, it's the level design, the indoor copy & paste interior levels are poor but the outdoor environments were expansive and varied. As for the vehicle controls, they're easy to handle as all you have to do is push the left analog forward and use the right analog to steer.

You're entitled to your opinion, but some of the claims and reasons for your opinion are wrong.

Hey, at least you agree with me about the levels.  I really think Halo 1 could've been a great game with a few changes, and fixing that copy/paste level design is #1.

The interior level design is a big flaw, but it didn't kill the game but hurt it little. The action, A.I. and combat made up for it. I mean look at F.E.A.R., the level design was nothing but copy and paste interior corridors but the fire fights were so good I almost didn't care.

Around the Network
max power said:
amp316 said:
I am not a big fan of the Halo series, but the first game definitely deserves critical acclaim. What it did, it did extremely well and has been cloned numerous times by several companies. It made the online FPS highly relevant.

Hahaha.
Quake made the online FPS highly relevant.  People still play it today, actually. 

I think he's referring to consoles, not online multi-player in general. I'm not a big fan of Halo 2's online multi-player, but it did help make online multi-player relevant for consoles.

max power said:
amp316 said:
I am not a big fan of the Halo series, but the first game definitely deserves critical acclaim. What it did, it did extremely well and has been cloned numerous times by several companies. It made the online FPS highly relevant.

Hahaha.
Quake made the online FPS highly relevant.  People still play it today, actually. 

Not like Halo.

I said highly relevant for the mainstream consoles.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

AkibaFan said:
yes th r overrated, i dnt knw why they get so high reviws

Please, spell check. Also, don't use google to check on your spelling. :P

amp316 said:
max power said:
amp316 said:

Hahaha.

Not like Halo.

No, you did not say highly relevant for mainstream consoles, you said highly relevant. 

Quake is the game that made online FPS relevant, not Halo 2. 

I really appreciate guys like you posting in these threads.  You make it soooo obvious as to how oblivious Halo fans are to the game world pre-Halo. 

Around the Network
max power said:
amp316 said:
max power said:
amp316 said:

Hahaha.

Not like Halo.

No, you did not say highly relevant for mainstream consoles, you said highly relevant. 

Quake is the game that made online FPS relevant, not Halo 2. 

I really appreciate guys like you posting in these threads.  You make it soooo obvious as to how oblivious Halo fans are to the game world pre-Halo. 

Or maybe he forgotten to add the word "console" into his sentence, I forget to add a certain important word in a sentence when I type something sometimes which interprets it in the wrong way, he even pointed out the mistake he made and corrects himself. You also seem to have a grudge towards Halo fans, as you had to stereo-type the fans of being unaware of the pre-Halo existing games before Halo. Which doesn't really apply to every Halo fan, not even most. Even the person you argue with wasn't a Halo fan, I'm not a fan of the series as a whole either. I immensely enjoyed Halo: Combat Evolved and I occasionally play Halo 3's multi-player, as I'm a veteran of the FPS genre.

2 does, spent days online on that.

halo? whats that? a copy of doom? come on halo is over rated and over-typically-by-microsoft hyped!

What the hell has halo brought to the table we havent seen before.
All lot of 'em 60 - 70% scores

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
halo? whats that? a copy of doom? come on halo is over rated and over-typically-by-microsoft hyped!

What the hell has halo brought to the table we havent seen before.
All lot of 'em 60 - 70% scores

With your constant bickering over Microsoft exclusive titles, I'm receiving the impressions that you're a hopeless Nintendrone. Considering the fact that you claim that Halo receives average review scores represents how ignorant you are. Even the biggest Halo hater knows that the main Halo trilogy are critically acclaim (Despite the fact they belive they don't deserve such accolodes) with scores of 90s and 10s.

But you're correct on one thing however, Halo is indeed a Doom clone. You see; you can look up and down just like Doom, there's vehicles just like Doom, you're against fighting aliens just like Doom, there are big open levels just like Doom, there are regenerating shields just like Doom, there's off-hand grenade throwing just like Doom, and you can attack enemies with the bud of your weapon just like Doom..... Oh, wait!

Oh wait, those changes are critically acclaimed! LOL

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""