By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS EYE can do what NATAL can:

joeorc said:
ironman said:
drkohler said:
ironman said:

It matters because it's not true 3D and is not as accurate as true 3D. Face it, there is NOTHING on todays console market that tracks in true 3D like Natal does. 

Ugh... Natal does have a limited accuracy on 3D sensing like every technical equipment has its inherent limited accuracy. It is generally agreed that Sony's wand tracks its 3D position more accurate than Natal. That is not surprising since it only tracks one data point (the center of a glowing sphere) and not a whole body.

Not as limited as Move, or the Wiimote+. At either rate, that's not the real point here. No other system on the console market today has the capabilities of Natal. Period. 

@ joeorc. Yes it does. Neither the Wiimote or Move can track in true 3D, they can only track in a software perceived 3rd dimension. 

well you can have your opinion, but i disagree with it. and since the people who work on the Playstation move say's it track's in 3D i am going to agree with them over this rather than your Opinion.

Right... *rolls eyes* So because two Sony employees, with obvious dogs in the fight say it's so (and quite ignorantly at that) you choose to believe them...that's just sad. 

Face it, Move does NOT, and CANNOT do TRUE 3D. That is a fact, not an opinion. I'm sorry, the Sony employees were only paraphrasing the fact that it emulates true 3D. Why you cannot understand this simple fact is beyond me. Oh well, if you refuse to have a real conversation that's your problem, have fun being wrong! ;)

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network
ironman said:
joeorc said:
ironman said:
drkohler said:
ironman said:

It matters because it's not true 3D and is not as accurate as true 3D. Face it, there is NOTHING on todays console market that tracks in true 3D like Natal does. 

Ugh... Natal does have a limited accuracy on 3D sensing like every technical equipment has its inherent limited accuracy. It is generally agreed that Sony's wand tracks its 3D position more accurate than Natal. That is not surprising since it only tracks one data point (the center of a glowing sphere) and not a whole body.

Not as limited as Move, or the Wiimote+. At either rate, that's not the real point here. No other system on the console market today has the capabilities of Natal. Period. 

@ joeorc. Yes it does. Neither the Wiimote or Move can track in true 3D, they can only track in a software perceived 3rd dimension. 

well you can have your opinion, but i disagree with it. and since the people who work on the Playstation move say's it track's in 3D i am going to agree with them over this rather than your Opinion.

Right... *rolls eyes* So because two Sony employees, with obvious dogs in the fight say it's so (and quite ignorantly at that) you choose to believe them...that's just sad. 

Face it, Move does NOT, and CANNOT do TRUE 3D. That is a fact, not an opinion. I'm sorry, the Sony employees were only paraphrasing the fact that it emulates true 3D. Why you cannot understand this simple fact is beyond me. Oh well, if you refuse to have a real conversation that's your problem, have fun being wrong! ;)

no you have fun because natal is overcomplicated and it does not even work correctly, think about what jeorc said the camera tacks the sphere in 3d space, yes it's emulated 3D but it still has a z-axis, not to mention it has acelorometers in the controller to help it out with things such as movement speed , natal only guesses where a user is moving, ps move knows where you are moving because the idea is simple and it always has the data there ready to acess for x,y z -axis and movement speed and direction, hell it even knows north from south.

Just some food for thought Ironman, I agree that Natal is leagues ahead in terms of what it can do but it is possible to gauge 3D depth with just one camera. Think from the perspective of a human, if you only have one eye then you still can gauge depth, in fact some people will aim guns with just one eye (not recommended imo).

There is other ways to track depth rather than just steroscopic methods, check out the following link and note how many different tools there are for determining depth. I know it's wiki but you should get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

PSEYE TOY DOES THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE XBOX 360 LIVE VISION CAMERA. SAME TECH, THEY ARE BOTH MERELY WEBCAMS. SO TRYING TO SAY THE EYETOY IS LIKE NATAL IS TRYING TO SAY A NISSAN MICRA IS THE SAME AS A MERCEDES SL65 BLACK SERIES. OR FOR THOSE WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS, THAT IS EQUIVALENT TO SOMEBODY SAYING PIGS CAN FLY.

I think Sony fan boys need to keep it real, and stop claiming their webcam is the same as NATAL because I don't hear MS saying that their Xbox Live Vision camera is the same concept as NATAL. For those who still find this difficult to comprehend, why don't those individuals just wait until E3 so they can get their facts straight.

I agree with ironman, NATAL does track in TRUE 3D, since it is a 3D camera unlike the webcam EyeToy. All the EyeToy does is track the sphere, I mean whats so innovative about that, and how could that possible be true 3D? It does the same thing what the Wii does, but rather than using Infrared receiver it uses a camera. All the PS Move is, is an improved Wiimote. It just emulates a 3D space. It ONLY tracks the Sphere, that doesn't seem that advanced. Merely providing a tweaked/improved experience of the Wii in HD, does not really give it any grounds whatsoever to belittle MS motion sensing experience.

As for lag issues and all other imperfections that skeptics have claimed have been assured to be ironed out, and continuously improved until launch. MS have always claimed that it is mostly their proprietary software which makes NATAL far more unique than anything we have seen, rather than the hardware. They claim the software is so advanced, that it not only tracks in 3D space, but also calculates and is programmed to use many other factors to bring together an experience that brings it way ahead of it's time.

Around the Network
ruff_romeo said:
I agree with ironman, NATAL does track in TRUE 3D, since it is a 3D camera unlike the webcam EyeToy. All the EyeToy does is track the sphere, I mean whats so innovative about that, and how could that possible be true 3D? It does the same thing what the Wii does, but rather than using Infrared receiver it uses a camera. All the PS Move is, is an improved Wiimote. It just emulates a 3D space. It ONLY tracks the Sphere, that doesn't seem that advanced. Merely providing a tweaked/improved experience of the Wii in HD, does not really give it any grounds whatsoever to belittle MS motion sensing experience.

As for lag issues and all other imperfections that skeptics have claimed have been assured to be ironed out, and continuously improved until launch. MS have always claimed that it is mostly their proprietary software which makes NATAL far more unique than anything we have seen, rather than the hardware. They claim the software is so advanced, that it not only tracks in 3D space, but also calculates and is programmed to use many other factors to bring together an experience that brings it way ahead of it's time.

wait you beleive ms hype and everything they say...... ROFL yes Natal is not like eyetoy and it is revolutionary/sarcasm

A lot of arguing over what technically constitutes as "True 3D" the eye has one 2D camera and uses software to calculate where things are in 3D space. Natal uses two 2D cameras and again uses software to calculate where things are in 3D space. But seeing the similarity it has with normal human 3D perception, we see it as more "Real"

But our brains are still using "software" to build up our perception of what is actual real 3D. Our depth perception is still pretty limited. For example, in my back garden I saw what I thought was a web strand right in front of my eyes. Because it was so silky and perfect looking and critically on a horizontal plane to me, my eyes couldn't focus on it properly. There weren't any imperfections to double up from an unfocused eye. Only when I tilted my head to the side was I able to focus on it, and actually see how far away was it.

So this makes me think, do the Natal's two cameras move like our eyes do? Do they focus in and out to tell how far away things are? And if so, do they have trouble focusing on multiple objects? When you talk to someone near you, the people behind are out of focus.

So would this not mean that the move tech is superior, because it would have no problem measuring the depth of multiple players not seeing them all clearly and not having to focus on individuals?

Theo said:
A lot of arguing over what technically constitutes as "True 3D" the eye has one 2D camera and uses software to calculate where things are in 3D space. Natal uses two 2D cameras and again uses software to calculate where things are in 3D space. But seeing the similarity it has with normal human 3D perception, we see it as more "Real"

But our brains are still using "software" to build up our perception of what is actual real 3D. Our depth perception is still pretty limited. For example, in my back garden I saw what I thought was a web strand right in front of my eyes. Because it was so silky and perfect looking and critically on a horizontal plane to me, my eyes couldn't focus on it properly. There weren't any imperfections to double up from an unfocused eye. Only when I tilted my head to the side was I able to focus on it, and actually see how far away was it.

So this makes me think, do the Natal's two cameras move like our eyes do? Do they focus in and out to tell how far away things are? And if so, do they have trouble focusing on multiple objects? When you talk to someone near you, the people behind are out of focus.

So would this not mean that the move tech is superior, because it would have no problem measuring the depth of multiple players not seeing them all clearly and not having to focus on individuals?

technology wise no, the camera in Natal is better due to it's ability to see 3D, not only track in 3d space but also see multiple angle's at the same time which allow's the view of a 3D plane. the Wii or the PS3 cannot see the 3D plane they can only gather the location of an object in  that 3D space IE: the controller. but unlike the Wii the PS3's camera allow's for thing's like Natal allow's which is augumented reality though from that reference point, a 2D camera see's where that object can be in a volume of space but also due to the camera put object's inside the enviroment that the camera can see which the playstation eye does in 2D PLANE the XBOX360 could do on a 3D plane.

So where as in the case of the playstation 3's the augmented reality is placed in front of you , and you could walk toward the object an see arround it. interact ingame with that virtual object. but you could not reach on the other side of youself and grab a virtual object that was placed there on the other side of you that the eyetoy could not see.

unlike that limitation, Natal allow's the camera to place an object on the other side faceing. that  just one camera alone could not see it would not have to say place an object faceing you or above you or to your side's and than have the virtual object move forward. where as since Natal can see right behind that other facing it could place a virtual object behind you and you could reach behind your back and grab it.

like for instance it can see the front of your hand's the top but not behind you unless you fact the camera sideways than it could see behind you, but not see on the other side of you. that's where the other camera of Natal come's in because it can see because it has a second camera faceing that can see that extra plane on the other side of you. but on the same token.

just because a 2D camera cannot see as the example above on the other side of you does not mean that the camera could not track and object say

in this case the playstation move positioned  on the other side of you even though it cannot see it physicaly it does indeed know it's there on the other side of the visual plane. that's the same with the Wii motion + , it know's the location of the Wii mote by it's position in a 3d space also the enviroment of the AREA space would not matter. Now where Natal shine's is it can map the Entire AREA with of course limit's of the Hardware, though that is much better capability than just tracking one object on a technological basis. Though it could be just as accurate as the other two if not more so, but it depend's on what you are wanting to have the camera do at one time and this is where the xbox360 is going to come in. I have no doubt that what Natal will be able to do will be fantastic in its experience. would that be enough for some I do not know.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

This whole argument over the tech is pretty dumb.  Especially, if the end result is the same thing.  Just like the Wiimote and Move, it will give you the same end result, albiet Move is more accurate.  Natal will give us the same end result as the PSEye.  Though, I have concerns it won't be as accurate.  And that is definitely not based on some Sony bias, but on every single vid and demo we have seen thus far.  And the fact that most, if not all, those vids are from before the processor was removed doesn't help dispell those concerns. 

@ iron man

You really shouldn't get yourself so hyped up for Natal.  You may be setting yourself up for a huge letdown.  Epsecially, if MS doesn't fix the accuracy issues, and if all the games turn out to be casual titles that are only fun for 20 mins.  Besides, MS didn't invent Ricochet.  Starts at 0:35

Sorry joeorc, but I don't understand a thing you said.

The PS eye uses a 2D field of vision, and based on the sizes of the heads of the move controllers it judges the depth.

Natal uses two cameras similar to our eyes only a small distance apart, using the angle to judge the distance as we do. I'm not sure what you mean by this "to see the other side facing" Both have a limited fov, and in their own way a limited sense of depth perception.