By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official April 2010 NPD Thread (Data for 4 wks ending May 2 in 3 hours)

CGI-Quality said:
Kenology said:

"Despite the overall slump, the NPD says Sony's combined PlayStation sales -- across hardware, software and accessories -- are up for the year." - Source

And people call me out when I say the industry is a PS3 cheerleader!

The irony, just a year ago, it was a PS3 doomsayer.

OT: This is the final NPD of the PS2. "The Daddy" is finally going into retirement.

Want another example?

"[Networked Products and Services division] eported operating losses of ¥83.1 billion ($889 million), an improvement of ¥4.4 billion ($46.5 million) year-on-year, a significant stride toward the company's goal to create profitability in its games business." - Source

How the hell can a 5% of a decreased loss be an "significant stride"?  lol!  Sony cheerleaders!

Around the Network
thelifatree said:
darkheart709 said:
Whoa at FFXIII, what were SE's expectations for the game

6 Million combined were their expectations. It is currently around 5 combined.  2 million in Japan was their expectations, and it is currenlty at 1.91 Million.

People will say their expectations was to outsell FF7 which was not true. it was a hope. (beings that's their highest selling game of all time), they thought they created something that had a chance at outselling seven, but obviously it won't do that.

Now it still has a fairly good chance of selling 6mil. As well as, I don't know if their going to do re-releases of FFXIII international in japan which usually gets them .5 mill.

So It's likely to perform at the lower end of their expectations. Rather than the high (FF7 sales +) :D

Edit:
I was wrong, the expectation was ship 6 million not sell which obviously increases the chances even more of it achieving expectations
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6230719.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

taken from the article

"One of the biggest profit drivers, of course, will be Square Enix's highly anticipated release of Final Fantasy XIII. As part of the interview, Wada said that he expects the game to ship more than 6 million units worldwide"

ff13 will do 6 million easily. so it wll outperfrm expctations.

I thnk ff versus 13 will do 5 million atleast, so combind ff13 will be 11 million.

AkibaFan said:
thelifatree said:
darkheart709 said:
Whoa at FFXIII, what were SE's expectations for the game

6 Million combined were their expectations. It is currently around 5 combined.  2 million in Japan was their expectations, and it is currenlty at 1.91 Million.

People will say their expectations was to outsell FF7 which was not true. it was a hope. (beings that's their highest selling game of all time), they thought they created something that had a chance at outselling seven, but obviously it won't do that.

Now it still has a fairly good chance of selling 6mil. As well as, I don't know if their going to do re-releases of FFXIII international in japan which usually gets them .5 mill.

So It's likely to perform at the lower end of their expectations. Rather than the high (FF7 sales +) :D

Edit:
I was wrong, the expectation was ship 6 million not sell which obviously increases the chances even more of it achieving expectations
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6230719.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

taken from the article

"One of the biggest profit drivers, of course, will be Square Enix's highly anticipated release of Final Fantasy XIII. As part of the interview, Wada said that he expects the game to ship more than 6 million units worldwide"

ff13 will do 6 million easily. so it wll outperfrm expctations.

I thnk ff versus 13 will do 5 million atleast, so combind ff13 will be 11 million.

Akiba, I loved the game so we don't have to argue about that. :D
I haven't looked at charts here that long so I don't notice trends and how many hundreds of thousands more you'll get when you get to a certain points. Also, all of the Western data is blacked out for all FF's except FFXIII and CC. I think so I can't really observe past trends.

And their expectations was 6 million for FFXIII, only. (though I think you're understanding that.)

Because that's like saying FFVII sold 15 million because of FFVII, CC, Dirge, (Hell you can count movies + 15 more million :P), or FFX and FFX-2 = 13 million.

Well glad it will meet their expectations, just surprised it is already out of the top 20 already

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

Final Fantasy XIII sold in April 91,000 units between both platfoms, that's a 93% drop

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pressure-mounts-on-e3-to-prove-industry-can-grow-long-term

Poor April results were also due to the lack of long-tail sales for single-player games released the previous month, claims Doug Creutz of Cowan and Company, and it is online and digital strategies that can add shelf life to multiplayer titles as single-player games are traded in quickly after completion.

Sony's God of War III sold only 180,000 units last month in the US, compared to 1.10 million in March, while Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII shifted 1.32 million in its release month, compared to only 91,000 units in April. In comparison, the multiplayer focused Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sold 1.28 million in March, and 273,000 in April.

Around the Network
Bruno Muñoz B said:

Final Fantasy XIII sold in April 91,000 units between both platfoms, that's a 93% drop

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pressure-mounts-on-e3-to-prove-industry-can-grow-long-term

Poor April results were also due to the lack of long-tail sales for single-player games released the previous month, claims Doug Creutz of Cowan and Company, and it is online and digital strategies that can add shelf life to multiplayer titles as single-player games are traded in quickly after completion.

Sony's God of War III sold only 180,000 units last month in the US, compared to 1.10 million in March, while Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII shifted 1.32 million in its release month, compared to only 91,000 units in April. In comparison, the multiplayer focused Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sold 1.28 million in March, and 273,000 in April.

Yeowch!  I knew the game would be extremely front-loaded, especially with the negative word of mouth (yes Darth, it's quite negative relative to expectations), but that figure surprises me greatly. 

That is one epic JRPG drop.

Well if NPD don't track Amazon theres this -> http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=10243

"Monster Hunter Tri, released Apr. 20, ranked No. 11 in Apr. U.S. retail data by NPD Group Inc., moving between 108,000 and 143,000 units in the first 10 days of sale."

The numbers are so vague. So 35k discrepency? It could have have been top ten, according to NPD?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Well if NPD don't track Amazon theres this -> http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=10243

"Monster Hunter Tri, released Apr. 20, ranked No. 11 in Apr. U.S. retail data by NPD Group Inc., moving between 108,000 and 143,000 units in the first 10 days of sale."

The numbers are so vague. So 35k discrepency? It could have have been top ten, according to NPD?

I think the 108k to 143k range that is quoted  here is simply because NPD officially gave these numbers for other games, the low number is for a game below MH3 (Super Street Fighter on 360) and the higher number is for a game that is above MH3 in ranking. MH3 is officially (per NPD) no. 11, and unofficially the number that keeps getting quoted, aparrently becasue it was given by "someone in the know", is 126k.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin