By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official April 2010 NPD Thread (Data for 4 wks ending May 2 in 3 hours)

bmmb1 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk is the new trestres confirmed?

Yes, imo he even outtrestreses trestres

I agree, but to be fair most of trestres worries actually made sense 95% of the time.



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

^LoL..When you are the top selling console every month (notwitholding shortages & sometimes even with shortages) Then the cause for concern should be minimal. The thing I find funny is how closely tied to the industry performance Wii is, yet the industry seems to hate Wii until its time to explore numbers.

I think the cause for concern should be universal not just focused on Wii. HD systems not breaking 200k in sales is pretty awful, especially considering titles released within March/April. These are generally slow months any way, but still the industry doesn't look so recession proof at all does it? We'll see what May brings, we'll see if this is the downward trend of all consoles, some consoles or no consoles.

If next month the Wii sells like the PS3/360 this month while the PS3/360 sells like the PSP then I'll be aboard the same train as tres and demo lol.



Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:


If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

darthdevidem01 said:
bmmb1 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk is the new trestres confirmed?

Yes, imo he even outtrestreses trestres

I agree, but to be fair most of trestres worries actually made sense 95% of the time.

Excuse me? If you're going to say I'm not making sense at least have the decency of making an argument.

 

Only a simpleton would think that just because the Wii is outselling the competition that everything is alright. Now I'm sure Sony and MS wish they had Nintendo's troubles, but being down YoY in an improving economy against an easy comparison like April 2009 and down month on month in spite of easing supply, is something Nintendo should be very concerned about.



A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
darthdevidem01 said:
bmmb1 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk is the new trestres confirmed?

Yes, imo he even outtrestreses trestres

I agree, but to be fair most of trestres worries actually made sense 95% of the time.

Excuse me? If you're going to say I'm not making sense at least have the decency of making an argument.

 

Only a simpleton would think that just because the Wii is outselling the competition that everything is alright. Now I'm sure Sony and MS wish they had Nintendo's troubles, but being down YoY in an improving economy against an easy comparison like April 2009 and down month on month in spite of easing supply, is something Nintendo should be very concerned about.

I'm still laughing over the fact that you said Wii is in the process of collapsing

Wii was "collapsing" in the same fashion a year ago, we all know how that ended (December 2009 Sales for wii, go figure).

I would expect a tough & strong argument from the person who is saying the fastest selling console ever is in the process of collapsing, you haven't given that, I'm all ears Demotruk.



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Demotruk said:
darthdevidem01 said:
bmmb1 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk is the new trestres confirmed?

Yes, imo he even outtrestreses trestres

I agree, but to be fair most of trestres worries actually made sense 95% of the time.

Excuse me? If you're going to say I'm not making sense at least have the decency of making an argument.

 

Only a simpleton would think that just because the Wii is outselling the competition that everything is alright. Now I'm sure Sony and MS wish they had Nintendo's troubles, but being down YoY in an improving economy against an easy comparison like April 2009 and down month on month in spite of easing supply, is something Nintendo should be very concerned about.

Demo, from January thru March 2009, the Wii was doing PHENOMENAL.  It didn't start to tank until April.  I think you should give this a little more time. Wii sales are on par with 2008 numbers - the record breaking year and the Wii is below 2009 numbers (so far) before numbers saw a drop.  I think Wii will start to compare favorably to 2009 numbers beginning in May.

 

2009 NPD:

January - 679,200

February - 753,000

March - 601,000

April - 340,000

May - 289,000

June - 361,000

July - 252,500

 



Around the Network

March 2008: Wii sold 721,000. March 2009: 601,000. February was the last month of growth for Wii, and it began to collapse quickly after. April is not actually supposed to be a slow month, particularly when Easter falls within April as it did this year and last year (but not 2008).

 

PS April 2008 was 714.2K so I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the sales for the whole year, ie. including previous months, being higher than the same period in 2008 somehow mean that Wii is not losing momentum now?



A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:

March 2008: Wii sold 721,000. March 2009: 601,000. February was the last month of growth for Wii, and it began to collapse quickly after. April is not actually supposed to be a slow month, particularly when Easter falls within April as it did this year and last year (but not 2008).

 

PS April 2008 was 714.2K so I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the sales for the whole year, ie. including previous months, being higher than the same period in 2008 somehow mean that Wii is not losing momentum now?

Easter was tracked in NPD's March figures this year.



The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Demotruk said:

March 2008: Wii sold 721,000. March 2009: 601,000. February was the last month of growth for Wii, and it began to collapse quickly after. April is not actually supposed to be a slow month, particularly when Easter falls within April as it did this year and last year (but not 2008).

 

PS April 2008 was 714.2K so I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the sales for the whole year, ie. including previous months, being higher than the same period in 2008 somehow mean that Wii is not losing momentum now?

Easter was tracked in NPD's March figures this year.

Not exactly, it fell on April 4th which is in the April NPD period. Though I don't know how many Easter-related sales happen in the week running up to Easter or Easter itself and the following days.



A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk said:

Excuse me? If you're going to say I'm not making sense at least have the decency of making an argument.

 

Only a simpleton would think that just because the Wii is outselling the competition that everything is alright. Now I'm sure Sony and MS wish they had Nintendo's troubles, but being down YoY in an improving economy against an easy comparison like April 2009 and down month on month in spite of easing supply, is something Nintendo should be very concerned about.

I'm still laughing over the fact that you said Wii is in the process of collapsing

 

Wii was "collapsing" in the same fashion a year ago, we all know how that ended (December 2009 Sales for wii, go figure).

I would expect a tough & strong argument from the person who is saying the fastest selling console ever is in the process of collapsing, you haven't given that, I'm all ears Demotruk.

Only that 2010 won't have a killer app of the same level as NSMB Wii. The thing is that the breath of fresh air that the Wii created in the gaming industry has worn off a long time ago. There's no selling on the potential of motion controls anymore, everything relies on the already available and shortly upcoming games since spring 2009. What people had imagined that could be done with the Wii for the most part didn't become reality, so the excitement died down and likewise did the sales.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Demotruk said:

Excuse me? If you're going to say I'm not making sense at least have the decency of making an argument.

 

Only a simpleton would think that just because the Wii is outselling the competition that everything is alright. Now I'm sure Sony and MS wish they had Nintendo's troubles, but being down YoY in an improving economy against an easy comparison like April 2009 and down month on month in spite of easing supply, is something Nintendo should be very concerned about.

I'm still laughing over the fact that you said Wii is in the process of collapsing

 

Wii was "collapsing" in the same fashion a year ago, we all know how that ended (December 2009 Sales for wii, go figure).

I would expect a tough & strong argument from the person who is saying the fastest selling console ever is in the process of collapsing, you haven't given that, I'm all ears Demotruk.

Only that 2010 won't have a killer app of the same level as NSMB Wii. The thing is that the breath of fresh air that the Wii created in the gaming industry has worn off a long time ago. There's no selling on the potential of motion controls anymore, everything relies on the already available and shortly upcoming games since spring 2009. What people had imagined that could be done with the Wii for the most part didn't become reality, so the excitement died down and likewise did the sales.

The Wii Vitality Sensor Rol

thats all...



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey