By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie>>>>>>>>>Infinity Ward

SmoothCriminal said:
tuscaniman said:
mirgro said:
I'd have to agree with that statement, and I will add my own.

Valve >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bungie

I have to disagree at least from my personal experience. L4D was the single most overrated game I have ever played. Haven't played Half Life but the mechanics look about the same.

It's not even close to similar. Half-Life is a story-driven epic adventure, L4D is just a competent zombie shooter. Fun with friends, nothing special.

P.S. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is the greatest game ever created.

I'm not saying the games are similar. What I'm saying is from my observation of vids I've watched the shooting mechanics are similar which puts me off of Half Life. Maybe I watched bad vids I dont know but I hated the shooting mechanics of L4D. Fun at first, too simple after a bit.

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:
In terms of support and listening to their fans, Bungie are probably leagues ahead of IW. Plenty of people complain about a vast amount of problems in MW2 yet they go unfixed.

Still as far as the final shipped (unpatched) product though, I think MW2 is a superior FPS experience to Halo 3. MW has brought about some nice changes and innovation to the FPS genre. Games like MAG and Resistance 2 have both used a similiar experience counter to MW, and honestly, I can't picture myself playing a FPS down the line that doesn't have customizable killstreaks to reward the player.

It's a real pity IW fell apart, MW3 could have been even bigger and better.

Killstreaks promote camping which in turn promotes a rush to rack up killstreak rewards and sit back and rack up kills for not doing anything. I do enjoy my occassional COD and killstreaks but it doesn't necessarily make it a better game. I actually think it makes it a cheaper game and a game more suited for the casual crowd. If you're a casual FPS player then thats cool I understand why you like it better. I would say Bungie has introduced much more innovation then COD...at least to the console crowd. Forge, Theater mode and other nuances devs have taken from past halo games.

Killstreaks offer a new way to play the game. Your life becomes more valauble as you're rewarded for surviving. You can then adjust your killstreaks based on which level you're playing and gauging your own skill and class set up. It offers more choice, but most importantly a sense of reward. And that's something MW2 offers in spades. Unlocking new killstreaks, weapons, ranks, emblems and callsigns encourages the player to keep playing, as there is always another challenge waiting in line.

Casual? It's defintely suited to the casual crowd, but so is Halo. It doesn't really matter what type of player you are. If the game offers more variety and choice, people will find it more appealing.

Halo has brought innovation certainly, but MW2 is, in my book, the FPS to beat right now.

Camping provides killstreaks and everyone knows this. It rewards the camper who sits in a corner with claymores, scavenger pro and heartbeat sensor. Like I said its fun but its casual. Any noob can strap on the noob toob and let fire and rack up some killstreaks. Halo on the other hand if your a noob you're gonna get raped. Its not a casual friendly FPS by any means.

Halo has always had a great gap between the skilled and unskilled. I was just thinking that was something from Halo I missed while playing MW2 earlier (That and perhaps controllable vehicles). The reason being- the power weapons, experienced players knowing the map inside out, the structure of the maps and the fact that you can take quite a bit of damage.

It's definitely an element to Halo that I can agree with you is superior.

You can still rack up amazing killstreaks on MW2 without camping though, and experienced opponents can often route out campers. So it does depend a great deal on the players in question. And I do feel killstreaks are one of the best things to happen to FPS games in a while.

tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:
In terms of support and listening to their fans, Bungie are probably leagues ahead of IW. Plenty of people complain about a vast amount of problems in MW2 yet they go unfixed.

Still as far as the final shipped (unpatched) product though, I think MW2 is a superior FPS experience to Halo 3. MW has brought about some nice changes and innovation to the FPS genre. Games like MAG and Resistance 2 have both used a similiar experience counter to MW, and honestly, I can't picture myself playing a FPS down the line that doesn't have customizable killstreaks to reward the player.

Killstreaks promote camping which in turn promotes a rush to rack up killstreak rewards and sit back and rack up kills for not doing anything. I do enjoy my occassional COD and killstreaks but it doesn't necessarily make it a better game. I actually think it makes it a cheaper game and a game more suited for the casual crowd. If you're a casual FPS player then thats cool I understand why you like it better. I would say Bungie has introduced much more innovation then COD...at least to the console crowd. Forge, Theater mode and other nuances devs have taken from past halo games.

Killstreaks offer a new way to play the game. Your life becomes more valauble as you're rewarded for surviving. You can then adjust your killstreaks based on which level you're playing and gauging your own skill and class set up. It offers more choice, but most importantly a sense of reward. And that's something MW2 offers in spades. Unlocking new killstreaks, weapons, ranks, emblems and callsigns encourages the player to keep playing, as there is always another challenge waiting in line.

Casual? It's defintely suited to the casual crowd, but so is Halo. It doesn't really matter what type of player you are. If the game offers more variety and choice, people will find it more appealing.

Halo has brought innovation certainly, but MW2 is, in my book, the FPS to beat right now.

Camping provides killstreaks and everyone knows this. It rewards the camper who sits in a corner with claymores, scavenger pro and heartbeat sensor. Like I said its fun but its casual. Any noob can strap on the noob toob and let fire and rack up some killstreaks. Halo on the other hand if your a noob you're gonna get raped. Its not a casual friendly FPS by any means.

Agreed.  Getting good at Halo takes so much skill its mind-boggling.  It took me the better part of a year to hone my skills on Halo 3 but when Modern Warfare 2 came out (I had absolutely no COD experience prior to it) I was 1st or 2nd in every game within a week.  Call of Duty is all about camping and using perks and being cheesy as hell.  If you say Halo is for the "casual" crowd then you really don't play it often.

Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:

Halo has always had a great gap between the skilled and unskilled. I was just thinking that was something from Halo I missed while playing MW2 earlier (That and perhaps controllable vehicles). The reason being- the power weapons, experienced players knowing the map inside out, the structure of the maps and the fact that you can take quite a bit of damage.

It's definitely an element to Halo that I can agree with you is superior.

You can still rack up amazing killstreaks on MW2 without camping though, and experienced opponents can often route out campers. So it does depend a great deal on the players in question. And I do feel killstreaks are one of the best things to happen to FPS games in a while.

I agree I enjoy the Killstreak as much as the next guy. I was actually looking forward to COD: Future Warfare but apparently I was wrong about Treyarch making that as their next game. That was my guess since the introduction of the ray gun in WAW. I'm sure it will happen and I think it would be the best of the COD series as you can pretty much invent killstreaks and therefore making it more balanced.

I also agree that MW2 is a fantastic game its just that after playing that nonstop for 2 months and popping in Halo 3 you realize how Bungie just gets the multiplayer aspect of games a little better than everyone else. If for only the reason I don't get booted cause the host dashboarded. I think Reach is going to take Halo to that next level and if you haven't played the beta I think you would love it.

@ OP - you know IW didn't have the freedom to choose what they worked on. If Activision-Blizzard said ignore patches and focus on the next game, they had to.

Also, why do I speak about IW as if it no longer exists??

Around the Network

Valve>>>>Zipper>>>>Bungie=Guerilla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Infinity Ward

Feel free to add me as your friend-PSN ID: Bobo012893

scottie said:
@ OP - you know IW didn't have the freedom to choose what they worked on. If Activision-Blizzard said ignore patches and focus on the next game, they had to.

Also, why do I speak about IW as if it no longer exists??

If that is true, which I highly doubt it is since I doubt Activision wants a glitchfest game with their name on it, that doesn't excuse them from not beta testing it or at least doing a better job of finding out and fixing all the problems it had and still has 6 months after its release. Obviously Tac Insert boosting will never get fixed therefore everytime you connect to a game you have to search for boosters or expect a nuke within 2-3 minutes of playing. That alone knocks the game down a few notches.

Bobo012893 said:

Valve>>>>Zipper>>>>Bungie=Guerilla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Infinity Ward

Bungie = Guerilla? Really? Killzone 1 was a joke of a FPS and a disgrace to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Halo when it was announced to be a Halo killer. I actually believed the hype when I was a PS2 gamer and realized I was duped.  Killzone 2? I haven't played that game and I'm sure its great, I know graphically its great, but you can't take 1 game no matter how good it is and say its equal to a whole series of games (Halo series). Guerilla is not even close to Bungie.

NightDragon83 said:

The simple fact that Bungie is still around and Infinity Ward now consists of a small team doing nothing but working on the next DLC pack for MW2 automatically makes Bungie > Infinity Ward.

Exactly...I will miss the old IW.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

tuscaniman said:
Dallinor said:

Next to impossible to camp in MW2 unless you are playing hardcore, or you don't watch the killcam to see where the person is camping from.
So if you don't want a camper, go play non-hardcore.

Also it is a lot harder to balance a game with as many weapons and different perks as MW2 has, plus you get to use 3 perks vs the 1 armor ability that Reach has.

I like both games, as far as Dev's go, yes I agree Bungie is the better group

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos