By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will FF be "revived" in Japan? since FF13 flopped there...

wait.. so selling 1.9m on a console that has a 3.8 userbase in that country is a flop? think again..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network
AkibaFan said:
psrock said:
AkibaFan said:
psrock said:
I may sound arrogant here but, after spending all week hearing how 184k in one week is amazing, it's refreshing to hear how selling 1.9m is a flop, very much makes me feel alive again.

dud wht is ur problem, i sed its a massive succes in west. bt in jpn its nt dun as expctd.

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

It's a massive success everywhere, why is that so hard to figure out? Yes, it's not selling like previous version, but that's because it's on 2nd place console which had 4.5 million users. The game will end up selling over 2million in Japan, that's beyond what I expected from a game everyone hate in japan, right?

dude if it sold like the ps1/2 ff's in jpn it wud hve sold as much as ff8/10 worldwide (because its doing as gud as the others in west). so i identified wher it underperformed, thts japan. but then the solution according to u is to put ff15 on the 1st place console?

@deskpro

lightning luks ugly in tht picture. u shud put vanille on the front cover.

Well I did my best with this one... lol

Just for you Akiba

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

aw c'mon! nobody noticing my work of art!? :(

put Sazh on the cover and I'd go for it :D

FF13 flopped?

News to me.

EDIT: Final Fantasy has been on a decline for a bit now. I imagine that DQ9 would have sold poorly if it were on Wii or PS3. It's too bad really, I think it's a great game and it should pass FFXII in the long run.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

AkibaFan said:
Carl2291 said:
Revived?

Flop?

Wtf?

Do you not remember the predictions of the game last year?

Famitsu's predictions? 1m first week, 1.5m lifetime?

If anything FF XIII has SURPASSED expectations.

And FFVII Remake would probably outsell FFXIII in Japan ¬_¬

stop damage control. im comparing to previus ff games and it sold less, if they wer expcttions they were vry low.

It's only damage control if you don't like the FACTS that are being presented to you. Sure, comparing it to previous FF games, the sales don't look all that impressive. But then again... It's only been out for 4 Months.

FF13 has sold just under 2 Million units in those 4 Months, without a "BEST" release or an "INTERNATIONAL" release... Or any other re-releases like FF games ALWAYS get. Even a 360 release could end up boosting it a few hundred thousand...

The sales of the game WILL be boosted, and i wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII gave it a small boost too when that releases.

It COULD surpass Final Fantasy XII when all is said and done.

Around the Network

@ Wonktonodi

Make it non-linear and you will see japan buying the $h!+ out of it

how cool is that, you get a dragon on the box art. SE should hire me. You'll see sales rocket up to the moon.

@darthdevimo for what it cost to make a game like that with userbases in the millions, yeah less than half mil is flop, if not someone tell me what a flop is. I know what its not a million sales or more. they need Versus 13 out like yesterday. hell, ill take Agito

dib8rman said:
How some can get behind certain things that don't need that much energy is passion but all I'm elaborating on is the microeconomics of what's represented in the OP. It seems like talking about the obvious (something right out of a Michael Parkin book on economics) gets people tense, so I'll help those who may be a little ignorant to the issue.

It's called a downward demand slope, it tends to happen when interest isn't there anymore. This is the only reason short of a cataclysmic disaster that could augment to the demand. It happens when the values aren't changing, the consumer has no reason to buy something they already own, in gaming it's about experiences because it's entertainment. So to reiterate the consumer has no reason to buy something they have already experienced.

I have nothing against FF7 or 6 or whatever, I unlike some people don't care to waste energies in that direction. Just a friendly comment is all I was making a note of information that isn't even my own but can be cited from any Macroeconomic text. LITERALLY ANY text you read on Macroeconomics elaborates on what the numbers in the OP represent. They even have pictures usually. =)

I'm sad your microecon prosseor didn't fucking stress about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceteris_paribus

There are TWO variable in the supply and demand graph. Quantity, and price. At first, I thought you were simply making the mistake of lumping all Final Fantasy games as one product, therefore saying that there's a huge quantity, and therefore, there needs to be a low price. Well, that mind set is totally retarded, but no, you're saying something even more ridiculous, in an extremely belittling and arrogant way.

"It's called a downward demand slope, it tends to happen when interest isn't there anymore."

NO

Again, Ceteris paribus, "all other things being equal or held constant". The reason why the slope is downward sloping is a simple relationship, between two variables, x and y. It's the common sense and proven belief that if you have the SAME ONE product, and you raise the price, quantity sold will be lower. If you lower the price, the quantity sold will be higher. Simple, nothing involved with "interest" or freshness.

If you're trying to talk about deminishing marginal benefit (a common sense example will be that a scoop of ice cream will make you happy, but the tenth one won't be as enjoyable), then that brings me back to case one, which is that final fantasy, the series of individual products, is one product. But no, you have to focus on only one product at a time. All you can do, if you want to include factors OTHER than price and quantity, then is to SHIFT the demand curve. Which means that at every price, there is less quantity of products demanded.

*sigh* I don't even know why you're brining up macroeconomics. The aggregate supply and demand curve has nothing to do with this. If you're going to talk about the recession affecting game sales, fine. But the reason why those two lines are downward and upward sloping are not even related the supply and demand of a SINGLE product.

I've only taken two principles course of economics, but I don't go acting smug and big like you.