By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will FF be "revived" in Japan? since FF13 flopped there...

psrock said:
I may sound arrogant here but, after spending all week hearing how 184k in one week is amazing, it's refreshing to hear how selling 1.9m is a flop, very much makes me feel alive again.

dud wht is ur problem, i sed its a massive succes in west. bt in jpn its nt dun as expctd.

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

Around the Network

hopefully ff versus will bring back a little bit of faith i hope

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
richardhutnik said:
How about maybe realizing that JRPG is not the format for the future of RPGs and try to do something different that will have a mass enough appeal? Things do move on, and things do change.

Please don't turn this into a 'WRPG vs JRPG' thread.  And to many people, part of the reason FFXIII lost some sales is because it tried to go for that 'western appeal'.  And I tend to agree.  Putting it on a system that is more prone to sales to the 'hardcore' and 'western' gamer is what made FFXIII lose sales.  In Japan, handhelds are what is overwhelmingly more popular and even a main Final Fantasy game on something like PSP or DS probably would have sold twice as much on DS or PSP.  If not more.  Again, the whole 'Final Fantasy vs Dragon Quest' example.

What I was going for is that formats change over time, and formats get stale.  Even if a genre is a genre, it will evolve over time.  Platformers go the way of Super Mario Galaxy, or Ratchet and Clank.  Tomb Raider games add more in the way of what Uncharted did.  Genres evolve over time.  I am just wondering why people expect just adding more production value to a genre is supposed to make it sell more, particularly on a console that doesn't have a lot of JRPGs to begin with.

One can bring up JRPGs selling on handhelds real well, but besides handhelds having a much larger user base, what NEW JRPGs have actually sold a lot?

And, I will also add, it isn't a matter of just being different for its own sake.  What matters is that you are able to both remain true to a genre, but also advance it.  Please note the trend here.  Even before FFXIII, the sales have been downward for the franchise itself.  And I don't see JRPGs even being that huge saleswise period.  ONLY reason to say "Western RPGs" is they are more new as a genre on consoles at this point, and have shown a good amount of sales.  I am not saying it is because they are "western" but have happened to appeal to a wider audience who are into other genres.

I would also say we are likely to witness the fusing of RPG with other genres the way adventure titles of the past had fused with action.  Games like Modern Warfare/Call of Duty add RPG-like elements to them.  Even a game like Borderlands goes hybrid, and benefits from the sales.

AkibaFan said:
psrock said:
I may sound arrogant here but, after spending all week hearing how 184k in one week is amazing, it's refreshing to hear how selling 1.9m is a flop, very much makes me feel alive again.

dud wht is ur problem, i sed its a massive succes in west. bt in jpn its nt dun as expctd.

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

F U

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
AkibaFan said:
psrock said:

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

It's a massive success everywhere, why is that so hard to figure out? Yes, it's not selling like previous version, but that's because it's on 2nd place console which had 4.5 million users. The game will end up selling over 2million in Japan, that's beyond what I expected from a game everyone hate in japan, right?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

aw c'mon! nobody noticing my work of art!? :(

Lol! It's very nice! You really saved a crappy cover! Good job!

dib8rman said:
RageBot said:
dib8rman said:
FF7 increase means that FF 6 was a success and that FF7 was very anticipated.

FF 8's lower sales means that FF 7 was a failure and FF8 wasn't hitting a sweet spot

FF 9's lower sales means that FF 8 was a failure and that FF 9 wasn't hitting a sweet spot

rinse repeat and you have a justification for that slope.

Really now?

Does that mean that Pokemon Red/Blue/Green were failures as well?

I don't know, were they?

Umm... so apparently FFVIII having the largest week one sales of any game in Japan (at least I'm pretty sure it is)... means FFVII was a failure?  FFVII was very anticipated too though, it sold almost as many copies as FFVI sold overall in one week (it passed it by the third week), which means the anticipation of FFVII was greater than the overall interest in FFVI... which is more a result of hype than the success of FFVI (although success of FFVI did play a huge role too, don't get me wrong).  Basically what I am saying is that FFVIII wasn't as good as FFVII, so word of mouth led to fewer sales.

psrock said:
AkibaFan said:
psrock said:

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

It's a massive success everywhere, why is that so hard to figure out? Yes, it's not selling like previous version, but that's because it's on 2nd place console which had 4.5 million users. The game will end up selling over 2million in Japan, that's beyond what I expected from a game everyone hate in japan, right?

dude if it sold like the ps1/2 ff's in jpn it wud hve sold as much as ff8/10 worldwide (because its doing as gud as the others in west). so i identified wher it underperformed, thts japan. but then the solution according to u is to put ff15 on the 1st place console?

@deskpro

lightning luks ugly in tht picture. u shud put vanille on the front cover.

Christian973 said:
IvorEvilen said:
AkibaFan said:
Wagram said:
It did really good for the fanbase it was on. I don't think it flopped.

bt it did. to put things in perspctve, if ff13 hd done like at least ff10 in japan its sales wud be nearing 6 million now (combiend) and it wud probably be able to outsell ff7/8 worldwide. japan let ff13 sales down and with tht the franchise weakened. ff10 launched with 5 million PS2's but sold 1 million more than ff13. FF7 launched with 4.5 Million PS1's but ff7 sold 4 million. the userbase excuse wnt work with me.

very few games are capable of selling 3 million... especially 4 million... in one country!

Are you forgetting about Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Mario, ETC?

Anyway, yes it flopped big. It seems like it doesn't have enough legs in Japan (500 sales every week?). I guess people have moved on from Final Fantasy because it's a lot different now than from the SNES/PS1 days.

No, a Final Fantasy 7 remake would not sell well either. If you look at the sales of Crisis Core, it's higly doubted that a remake of 7 will sell 10 million copies like the original.

I wasn't forgetting about anything... like I said, of the thousands of games sold in Japan throughout the years, very few are capable of selling 3 million, and especially 4 million.  Just because Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and Mario sell well, it doesn't mean every game has to sell as well as them to be successful, even Final Fantasy doesn't have to be barred down by those expectations... although it is a competitor among them.

Anyway, you already know all of this, you probably just misinterpretted what I was saying; no harm done :P

AkibaFan said:
psrock said:
AkibaFan said:
psrock said:

@deskpro

no tht luks horrible.

dude if it sold like the ps1/2 ff's in jpn it wud hve sold as much as ff8/10 worldwide (because its doing as gud as the others in west). so i identified wher it underperformed, thts japan. but then the solution according to u is to put ff15 on the 1st place console?

@deskpro

lightning luks ugly in tht picture. u shud put vanille on the front cover.

You have  to word it better than dude, your disapointment in the game because it did not sell to 75% of the PS3 USERS in the first 6 months has nothing to do with the game being a flop. It sold beyond most expectations and in my world that's called a success.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)