By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sued over Linux removal, Case documents surface

honestly they asked for it, and if they didn't see it coming they should start hiring competent people (lately that seems to be one of their main issues)

Around the Network

This is still going on? I thought all the poindexters that care about linux were over it already. Come on I've had a PS3 since early 2007 and never even thought about installing other OS.

I apologize if anyone here uses linux and is mad about this, but come on people get over it. If you're posting on this site you obviously have a computer and don't need an operating system on your PS3.

im no expert on the law but the argument that they don't need to download the firmware sounds bs. Without it you soon won't be able to play new games, watch new moves. The ps3 becomes a paperweight.

Is Sony really allowed to do "whatever they want" just because it's their console?

I mean.. look at all the legal trouble Microsoft's gotten into before...

Keeping Linux will prevent you from being able to play Warhawk or MAG if you cannot go online.

Around the Network

well the fact of the matter is when the product was purchased, you agreed to a "contract" with sony that essentially gave them the power to do wtv they like with all features provided on the system and you agreed to the fact that you have no ownership of any of said features. matter closed.

when you buy some sorta software for your computer, you gotta agree to the ToS before you can use it. Sure you don't have to agree to it (this being synonymous with not agreeing to the terms of this new firmware update) but then hey, you can't use the software.

And plus the actual removal of the feature is totally legal, seeing as when agreeing to the ToS, you give them permission to remove it. They are not forcing you to give them that permission. And yes, while that argument is bs to any normal human being, it is not bs to the legal system.

honestly, i'm surprised this is still going on, ppl gotta give it a rest. I think sony should've offered something to the users as a kind gesture for this, they didn't, they fell miles short of being a class-act. but then again, everyone should stack up the # of times they've had someone else's stick shoved up their ass and they'll reach up to the moon. life ain't fair, deal with it.

They won't lose this lawsuit.... because they'll settle it out of court.

They aren't going to win any public opinion battles outside of a few people, most of whom want to "protect the shield".

ShadowSnake said:

well the fact of the matter is when the product was purchased, you agreed to a "contract" with sony that essentially gave them the power to do wtv they like with all features provided on the system and you agreed to the fact that you have no ownership of any of said features. matter closed.

when you buy some sorta software for your computer, you gotta agree to the ToS before you can use it. Sure you don't have to agree to it (this being synonymous with not agreeing to the terms of this new firmware update) but then hey, you can't use the software.

And plus the actual removal of the feature is totally legal, seeing as when agreeing to the ToS, you give them permission to remove it. They are not forcing you to give them that permission. And yes, while that argument is bs to any normal human being, it is not bs to the legal system.

honestly, i'm surprised this is still going on, ppl gotta give it a rest. I think sony should've offered something to the users as a kind gesture for this, they didn't, they fell miles short of being a class-act. but then again, everyone should stack up the # of times they've had someone else's stick shoved up their ass and they'll reach up to the moon. life ain't fair, deal with it.

an Sony is not the only one:

Microsoft: may ... upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

Now Nintendo:

You understand that the Wii Console specifications and the Wii Network Service are constantly evolving and that we may update or change your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates may be required for you to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service. We may also upgrade, change, or terminate the Content or game software or may discontinue offering Products without notice to you.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

If they win this case I don't know that I will feel safe purchasing consumer electronics anymore. It would be a very dangerous precedent to allow companies to take away advertised features after purchase. I'd hate to see what other companies might start to pull as this seems minor to me only because I didn't get to play around with it much.

If any of you actually think Sony will lose this... I don't know what to tell you.

Don't you think, Sony, had this already thought out before they did it? I'm sure they've got it under control, and I'm almost certain they knew this would happen.