By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sued over Linux removal, Case documents surface

joeorc said:
ShadowSnake said:

well the fact of the matter is when the product was purchased, you agreed to a "contract" with sony that essentially gave them the power to do wtv they like with all features provided on the system and you agreed to the fact that you have no ownership of any of said features. matter closed.

when you buy some sorta software for your computer, you gotta agree to the ToS before you can use it. Sure you don't have to agree to it (this being synonymous with not agreeing to the terms of this new firmware update) but then hey, you can't use the software.

And plus the actual removal of the feature is totally legal, seeing as when agreeing to the ToS, you give them permission to remove it. They are not forcing you to give them that permission. And yes, while that argument is bs to any normal human being, it is not bs to the legal system.

honestly, i'm surprised this is still going on, ppl gotta give it a rest. I think sony should've offered something to the users as a kind gesture for this, they didn't, they fell miles short of being a class-act. but then again, everyone should stack up the # of times they've had someone else's stick shoved up their ass and they'll reach up to the moon. life ain't fair, deal with it.

an Sony is not the only one:

Microsoft: may ... upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

Now Nintendo:

You understand that the Wii Console specifications and the Wii Network Service are constantly evolving and that we may update or change your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates may be required for you to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service. We may also upgrade, change, or terminate the Content or game software or may discontinue offering Products without notice to you.

lol, i love the recurring theme of "we can slap you and take your lollipop....WITHOUT NOTICE!!"

makes me wish I was born as a corporation. life would be great... instead, i hadda go be born a human, what could I have possibly done in my past life to deserve this

Around the Network

right this is getting silly you do not need up to date firmware for blu-rays my bf still has the firmware that allows other os and has just bought avatar and he can still play and watch it as he did on monday, also he can still play on all of his games, the only thing he cannot do is connect to the PSN, so if the only argument they had was based on being able to play on latest blur-rays and their current games then this is going to get thrown out of court

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

ShadowSnake said:
joeorc said:
ShadowSnake said:

well the fact of the matter is when the product was purchased, you agreed to a "contract" with sony that essentially gave them the power to do wtv they like with all features provided on the system and you agreed to the fact that you have no ownership of any of said features. matter closed.

when you buy some sorta software for your computer, you gotta agree to the ToS before you can use it. Sure you don't have to agree to it (this being synonymous with not agreeing to the terms of this new firmware update) but then hey, you can't use the software.

And plus the actual removal of the feature is totally legal, seeing as when agreeing to the ToS, you give them permission to remove it. They are not forcing you to give them that permission. And yes, while that argument is bs to any normal human being, it is not bs to the legal system.

honestly, i'm surprised this is still going on, ppl gotta give it a rest. I think sony should've offered something to the users as a kind gesture for this, they didn't, they fell miles short of being a class-act. but then again, everyone should stack up the # of times they've had someone else's stick shoved up their ass and they'll reach up to the moon. life ain't fair, deal with it.

an Sony is not the only one:

Microsoft: may ... upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

Now Nintendo:

You understand that the Wii Console specifications and the Wii Network Service are constantly evolving and that we may update or change your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates may be required for you to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service. We may also upgrade, change, or terminate the Content or game software or may discontinue offering Products without notice to you.

lol, i love the recurring theme of "we can slap you and take your lollipop....WITHOUT NOTICE!!"

makes me wish I was born as a corporation. life would be great

lol..the thing is it's been that way for over 20 year's!

it's the software that allow's them so much control, due to the fact you do not own it They do.

it's this:

The system software license agreement

that is pretty much in every bit of software created allow's you to use it but never own it.

so we may own out xbox360, nintendo Wii or PS3 but we do not own the software on board our machine's, unless we make something ourselves and replace their software with something we make.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

phxprovost said:
Baalzamon said:
This is a key component of the PS3?!?!?!?!?!? GET A COMPUTER!!!!!!!

Sony put a feature into a consumer product then removed it once purchased?!?!?!?!?!?

Would be like if apple sold you an iphone then decided to send out an update one day that removes text messaging from all phones.  Should they be aloud to do it cause its their product, with the main purpose of the product being to make phone calls?  O rite i forgot its sony we are talking about here, automatically all is forgiven around these parts.

look at Microsoft, the removed the 360's blade OS for their new OS. Some people still prefer the older blades. So does this mean that people who prefer the blades can sue Microsoft for removing a feature they liked for a new one? The answer no. Your iPhone example is bs because Apple's TOS contract is the bloody worst. They reserve the right to go into an individual user's phone and remove any apps and features they want. So yes they can remove text messaging if they wanted to at anytime and there is nothing anyone could do about it including AT&T.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

anybody can sue anyone for anything. This is really not a big deal, did anyone seriously NOT see it happening? It will only be a story if the suers win. Which they won't.

Around the Network
joeorc said:

it's the software that allow's them so much control, due to the fact you do not own it They do.

it's this:

that is pretty much in every bit of software created allow's you to use it but never own it.

so we may own out xbox360, nintendo Wii or PS3 but we do not own the software on board our machine's, unless we make something ourselves and replace their software with something we make.

lol that would actually void the warranty and the license agreement anyway no? lol

on a lighter note, I love to quote my computers in engineering prof about license agreements: "Dunno what a license agreement is? It's this nice short (long) tidy contract you agree to "willingly" that gives the company every right imaginable and gives you a turd...oh and some restrictions...and by some...I mean a lot."

jneul said:
right this is getting silly you do not need up to dat firmware for blu-rays my bf still has the firmware that allows other os and has just bought avatar and he can still play and watch it as he did on monday, also he can still play on all of his games, the only thing he cannot do is connect to the PSN, so if the only argument they had was based on being able to play on latest blur-rays and teir current games then this is going to get thrown out of court

Because the current standard firmware isnt 3.21........eventually (sometime this year) every single new blu-ray and game release will come pre-installed with 3.21 and if you dont install it then you wont be able to play any new releases from that point on.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

ssj12 said:
phxprovost said:
Baalzamon said:
This is a key component of the PS3?!?!?!?!?!? GET A COMPUTER!!!!!!!

Sony put a feature into a consumer product then removed it once purchased?!?!?!?!?!?

Would be like if apple sold you an iphone then decided to send out an update one day that removes text messaging from all phones.  Should they be aloud to do it cause its their product, with the main purpose of the product being to make phone calls?  O rite i forgot its sony we are talking about here, automatically all is forgiven around these parts.

look at Microsoft, the removed the 360's blade OS for their new OS. Some people still prefer the older blades. So does this mean that people who prefer the blades can sue Microsoft for removing a feature they liked for a new one? The answer no. Your iPhone example is bs because Apple's TOS contract is the bloody worst. They reserve the right to go into an individual user's phone and remove any apps and features they want. So yes they can remove text messaging if they wanted to at anytime and there is nothing anyone could do about it including AT&T.

Thats something completely different.....the NXE can do everything the blades can just in a different form......had MS made it so that they cut out options from the blades then you may have had an arguement.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

ShadowSnake said:
joeorc said:

it's this:

lol that would actually void the warranty and the license agreement anyway no? lol

on a lighter note, I love to quote my computers in engineering prof about license agreements: "Dunno what a license agreement is? It's this nice short (long) tidy contract you agree to "willingly" that gives the company every right imaginable and gives you a turd...oh and some restrictions...and by some...I mean a lot."

lol yup, but you would than own the software and hardware of your machine...lol

as for that saying about  the saying..lol , what a license agreement is, well that's pretty much straight to the point, to be blunt it's a pretty darn truthful. It's pretty much one big Copy right, on top of other legal right's it's very strong in some legal system's. That's why companies use it..lol

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

jesus kung fu magic said:
jneul said:
right this is getting silly you do not need up to dat firmware for blu-rays my bf still has the firmware that allows other os and has just bought avatar and he can still play and watch it as he did on monday, also he can still play on all of his games, the only thing he cannot do is connect to the PSN, so if the only argument they had was based on being able to play on latest blur-rays and teir current games then this is going to get thrown out of court

Because the current standard firmware isnt 3.21........eventually (sometime this year) every single new blu-ray and game release will come pre-installed with 3.21 and if you dont install it then you wont be able to play any new releases from that point on.

and inorder to play those you are required to have a compatable Firmware installed on your PS3. that's the point, they make the software consumer's get to use the software, we do not own the software on our machine's, it's been that way for over 20 year's.

I AM BOLO

ps: