By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Other than Microsoft , Sony and Nintendo

General Electrics : over 310.000 employees,163 billion Dollars income for the year 2006.

Quality for Life

Around the Network

wow souixan, don't overreact please... I just put my thoughts down, that was not a response to a specific post.

I meant that seeing how Sony is doing in the gaming business, it should be clear for other companies that this business is not that interesting if your structure is similar to Sony's.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Edouble24 said:
EA is all that comes to mind.

Yep , but they will never do it . They rather publish games for 6 platforms , rather than 1-2 ... hardware sales would help ... true , but not as much as they want .

Apple could do it , shure , but Im not certain that they could have enough software support .

Same with Nokia ... 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I see a lot of people mentioned Apple, EA, and Panasonic. These companies have already tried to enter the game market and failed. Apple had the Pippin which was selected as one of the 25 Worst Tech Products of all Time by PC World Magazine. EA's old founder Trip Hawkings created the 3DO which because of its price point failed. Then 3DO was trying to make a new system called the M2 and sold the rights to Panasonic. They paid about 100,000,000 for the M2 and then never released it because they were unwilling to compete against fellow Japanese electronics giants like Nintendo, Sony, and Sega.

I think IBM could have a chance in the market. Their PowerPC processors are in the Wii, PS3, and the Xbox.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Square Enix

Around the Network
famousringo said:
rocketpig said:
Apple wouldn't stand a chance in the video game market. Their closed system and control over hardware almost assures that every third party developer would run away as quickly as possible. Since Apple has no internal game studios whatsoever, they wouldn't last long. They might create an iPod gaming hybrid but it will always be a secondary feature behind the music.

Other than that, I'm not sure who would stand a chance of succeeding in this market. Maybe a big electronics company like Panasonic but other than that or EA, I don't see it happening. The market is already too crowded.

I'm not going to argue your other points, but doesn't the bolded passage describe every console ever built?

Yes, but Apple is notoriously tight-lipped and doesn't like to play with others. Hence the "closed system" part of that statement. I wasn't actually talking about the actual hardware so much as Apple's business practices.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Btw Panasonic is only the brandname for electronic products of the Matsushita Corporation.

Quality for Life

dragoon89 said:
Square Enix

I'm sure they could if they made the hardware at a profit, carve out a niche RPG console.  However they would lose the mainstream that makes the Final Fantasy series popular, allowing them to catch on to some newer fresher RPG franchise.

eugene said:
Who do yall think has a chance in the game console business? Does Apple have a chance if they were to try? Maybe Google? Warner Brothers? Viacom? If anyone else has a chance , I wanna know what yall think

Well, I did a massive analysis on it (which I can't find) and nobody seemed to care much. My conclusion was that IBM was the most likely company to do it because the have the money, hardware, software, online systems and marketing expertise to do it. If AMD wasn't so cash-strapped they'd be a good contender too having x86 CPU, 3D Graphics and Flash Memory experience.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Google or some online company creating a virtual platform on the PC.

EA teaming up with the open source community (lower costs) to make an open gaming platform. EA has tons of games they could suddenly have as first-party titles.

Both of those would have serious advantages especially for 3rd party support. Development costs are a major issue in the industry that Nintendo responded to.