By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Sony are the best at platforming

I think in another thread I said that the Four Pillars of Platforming Perfection were Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and Donkey Kong. Nobody disagreed with me, so it's true. I don't see a Sony franchise on that list. It looks like Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, and Nintendo/Rare to me.

If you think Sony's platformers are on par with Nintendo's, I must ask what your favorite 2-D platformers and 3-D paltformers that they developed are. They didn't develop LittleBigPlanet.

Around the Network

There is no sane metric by which Sony and Nintendo can be compared when it comes to platformers. I love LBP, it's one of my favorite multiplayer games this generation, but as a platformer it is lacking and one really great game doesn't stack up against the kind of stuff Nintendo throws in our faces every single year.

Even people who don't love 3D Mario, LIKE ROLSTOPPABLE, would be hard-pressed to say anything except "Yes it is better than any platformer that has come out of Sony"

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:
There is no sane metric by which Sony and Nintendo can be compared when it comes to platformers. I love LBP, it's one of my favorite multiplayer games this generation, but as a platformer it is lacking and one really great game doesn't stack up against the kind of stuff Nintendo throws in our faces every single year.

Even people who don't love 3D Mario, LIKE ROLSTOPPABLE, would be hard-pressed to say anything except "Yes it is better than any platformer that has come out of Sony"

But again, he didn't say that Sony has better platformers than Nintendo, or that their IPs are equal. He said they have the best, as in the two companies as a whole put out the best in the genre.

Is it debatable, of course. Would most argue that Nintendo is at the top, nope, and I'd agree. Of course Sony doesn't have the same achievements in the genre as Nintendo, but DO have some memorable games in the genre nonetheless.

Now if the OP meant that Sony = Nintendo when it comes to platformers, I'd argue with him all the way to the very last drop. He should clarify.

I agree he should clarify, but there'd be two problems if that's what he meant:

1. Capcom has not been slacking for platformers this gen, surprisingly

2. Naming the top two instead of, like, ranking the two five or something implies that the top two are kind of equivalent.

Until he clarifies, though, I will let it lie as per your example.

RolStoppable said:
@CGI-Quality

If you still haven't noticed, you have put games into the platformer category that clearly aren't platformers. leo-j is young, so I don't mind it too much if he gets something wrong, but you should know better.

jarrod posted a list of Nintendo's platformers this generation and it makes Nintendo easily the sole top dog of the genre. Sony just isn't on the same level, it's not even certain if they rank second this gen, much less of all time.

The Sony is dead to me/Hannah Montana post today was a joke.

Me accusing other people of bias is not hypocrisy, it would only be if I denied my own bias and claimed myself to be a 100 % objective poster. Which I never do (unless it's for the sake of a joke like my Top 8 consoles thread).

The hypocrisy is actually coming from you. You keep saying that you give credit where credit is due, but why is it so hard for you to say that Nintendo is without a doubt better than Sony when it comes to platformers? After all Nintendo wins in both, quality and quantity. You write that off as "opinion".

errrrrr >_<

OT: yes they are, yes they are.

Now that Sony have the LBP devs, they could become a force to be reckoned with when it comes to platformers. If they put some effort in.

But as it looks now, i'd pick Sega above Sony, and that's for their downloadable Sonic re-releases alone. 2D Sonic is THAT awesome.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

@ Khuutra, Rol, CGI

Wow, this simple random thread turned into serious business.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Without getting caught up in the defintions of what's a platformer and what's not, I just thought I'd mention that Infamous has probably the best platforming/traversel gameplay I've ever experienced.

So silky smooth.

Oh my hahahaha i can't believe some people in here. Oh well... to each his/her own

CGI-Quality said:
Perhaps some of you misunderstood the title & OP. He didn't say Sony was better or equal to Nintendo at platforming games. He said they have the best platformers, which still doesn't rate them in any significant fashion.

No, Sony's platformers probably aren't better than Nintendo's (at least according to the critics and popular opinion). But what does that matter? Nintendo & Sony have the most IPs in the genre, which could be why the OP compared them in the first place.

I agree with you, sony has great platformers, very polished, maybe not on par with ninty but both companies do great

I have to shake my head when people consider action/adveture, sandbox, and FPS's platformers. We want to call gaming art and yet we can't even distinguish the waterpaintings from the clay sculptures.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)