By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Take On Nintendo And why I Sat this Generation Out

Graphics are a very important aspect of a game (at least in my opinion), but honestly I have no problem going between 360 and Wii, yeah the 360 is able to do more but if a Wii game is designed nice and the dev actually takes advantage of the Wii hardware the visual result is pretty darn good.

When it comes to game comparisons I completely disagree. Almost every Wii-Gamecube comparable is better on Wii imo (Galaxy > Sunshine, Brawl > Melee, MKWii >DD, etc.) Plus this gen isn't even over, a new Zelda is coming out this year, a new Metroid, and a new Pikmin.. well if not this year early next year I bet. Yeah I will admit Wii does have huge holes in it's library especially in the shooter section, but the GC was almost just as bad in that department too. Plus Wii is getting a ton of killer software this year in general.

Motion and interactive controls are just the next evolution in gaming. Remember the addition of one stick on the N64 and 2 sticks on PS1... I'm sure that was kind of daunting at the time for many people. Yeah the controls aren't perfect but if done right the whole motion control system on Wii seems incredibly fluid and natural. Simply implementations like in Galaxy and Resident Evil 4 really help make the experience much better. Yeah there is a learning curve with the motion controls but after giving Wii Sports a whirl for a week or two you'll become much more comfortable with it. The Wii remote-nunchuck combo is incredibly comfortable.

Do I wish Wii had HD graphics... heck yeah, but that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy what it offers. I understand Nintendo's reasoning for doing this since motion controls was a huge risk and they couldn't slap a huge price tag tag on the box of something nobody had tried yet. Next gen I'd imagine Nintendo will be on par graphic wise with whatever Sony and MS offer.

My advice to you would be to just give the Wii a try, it's a great system. All you're doing is depriving yourself of great games with a great gaming experience for stupid petty reasons.

Around the Network

I find it interesting how you still have fun playing N64 games. If you are still enjoying the N64, then what is keeping you from enjoying the Wii?

Why are you boycotting Nintendo just because of graphics? Are graphics really that important? Zelda and Mario are still just as enjoyable as they would be with or without HD graphics.

Bollocks. Nintendo has never been about graphics. Why do you think they launched the SNES two years after the Genesis? It certainly wasn't because the NES had killer graphics. In fact, Nintendo has always been the last to enter a console generation. Not exactly a graphics-focused company.

Nintendo realized that there was a graphics arms race. Instead of being a part of that, they decided to do what they do best: something new and different. Of course, the waggle wars are coming now, so it didn't work as expected.

Love and tolerate.

ohshutyourmouth said:

Let me get this straight. I've been a Nintendo fan since I was born. I was born the year a NES came out. I loved it. And every system they came out with to follow. I LOVED NINTENDO. I LOVED SUPER NINTENDO, I LOVED N64. Gamecube was a pretty good system to. To this day i still have debates with friends why N64 was so much better than playstation 1. But thats a whole nother topic. I bought every Nintendo system, and still play them all to this day. (Currently playing F-Zero X and Goldeneye 007 on N64). Hell, I even loved the gamecube and still consider it a gaming system. Remember when ps2 could play dvd's and nintendo defended gamecube as saying we are purely a gaming company? Wow, has that changed. As a gamer, I've seen Nintendo compleley fall flat on their face this generation with the Wii. It's a complete shame to me that Nintendo has had so much success with the Wii because that means they will continue this motion control bull**** with ancient dated graphics. Yes, the Wii is cool in some respects, but in no means as a gaming system. Yes games like Super Mario Galaxy are sweet, but imagine if Nintendo would have put in the graphics like Sony and Microsoft did. The game is basically like Super mario sunshine with motion controls. And thats all the Wii is. A Gamecube with motion controls. Grapically anyways. Even Gamecube in my opinion had better games then Wii tho. Look at the graphics difference between 1991 - 1996 . Super mario world to super mario 64. Even from 1985 to 1991. super mario bros. to super mario world. and here it is 2010 . 1996 (super mario 64 to 2009 super mario galaxy. ) look how long that time period was and its still only a bit better.Anyways Ive decided to sit this generation out with nintendo b/c of the wii. Nintendo didnt use to be about krap graphics, and the company that wasnt competing about party games and old ppl. it used to be about having a cutting edge graphics and technology system that competed with awesome graphics, and great games. Imagine a Zelda game or Mario with PS3 or 360's graphics. It'd be SICK. And until Nintendo comes back to the gamer, I wont be buying any Nintendo systems.

This part is wrong, Nintendo never use to be about cutting edge graphics, Nintendo has always been about gameplay.

Now having said that, Nintendo did at least with the gamecube, try to have comparible graphics solution that although cheap on the pocket was in many ways comparible to the competition, and at this stage had both gameplay and graphics....unfortunetly that's not the case with Wii.

Now I know many of you would call this guy shallow and all that other BS, but lets face it, if presented with a Wii HD and the current Wii for the same price, all of you would buy the HD version, there's no shame in liking graphics, after all it's a big part of gaming just as much as gameplay.

Yes I also am aware that many Will Say Gameplay >> graphics, but remeber what your looking at when playing games, yes your looking at the TV screen hence why graphics are important.

To me Graphics and Gameplay are important, having both is simply the best combination and we as gamers should expect nothing less.

See, it begins

Around the Network

here we go again...

just to let you the wii is my favourite console ever, while in my opinion the cube was the worst.

the wii has a better mario game(both galaxy and nsmbw are miles ahead of sunshine), a better mario kart game (i don't understand the criticism around mario kart wii... it's the best mario kart ever, people should remember the disaster that double dash was...) a better zelda game (ok, i know tp is on the cube too, but people bought it mainly on the wii), a better third party support (the cube only had some games from capcom, now we are getting games from basically every developer).

we already got a ssb, a metroid (two if you count trilogy) and other m is near; we got punch-out, we got a sequel(often a superior one) to basically every nintendo IP (except for pikmin, starfox and f-zero, but i'm sure they'll come back before the generation ends).

we got wii sports resort wich is a really good game, not only for the "casuals"

i could go on for hours...

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

I couldn't imagine sitting out games like Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Radiant Dawn or NSMBWii this generation. And honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised by "new casual fare" like Wii Sports Resort or Endless Ocean too.   Hell, even NPC remixes like Pikmin and DKJB have felt like almost new experinces with the new controls.  If sub-HD resolutions really bother you that much (and L.O.L. @ saying that and then deciding to play Gold eneye and F-Zero X, two of the ugliest N64 games known to man), then just soup up your PC, get familiar with Dolphin emulation, buy some Wii games, a Wiimote and a Nunchuck and enjoy them in full 1080p (or higher even) resolution. Nintendo's own games upscale gloriously, almost as if they were secretly made for HD (hmmm?).

Mario Galaxy 2, Sin & Punishment 2 and Metroid: Other M release in the next two months. Start there, I doubt you'll regret it.

how is super Mario galaxy like super Mario sunshine? if you can't see the huge difference then something is wrong with you.

whatever your the one loosing not the more open minded gamers..

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

This is EXACTLY why I left GT and joined Vgchartz. To get away from people like you. You used to be amusing, but now you're just annoying!
@Jake_the_Fake
None of us HATE good graphics. We LIKE good graphics. BUT, I'll still play a great game with bad graphics, if the game is good. I won't play a bad game with great graphics if the graphics are good.
Good graphics are a bonus, definitely. But Games are still about (Shockingly.) Gameplay.

wow this is original.. i never read this a million times already.. i mean this is possibly the Millionth person to write a thread like this in VGChartz... and the funny thing is they are always new people lol