By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Take On Nintendo And why I Sat this Generation Out

TaichungSteve said:
Graphics have always mattered, up to a certain point. Both Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful graphically than PS2, but the PS2 had visuals that were good enough for the majority of consumers. For that same majority of consumers, the level that was achieved last Gen is still, for the most part, good enough. Just look at the rise of Facebook games and other platforms like the Ipod. None of those offer graphic quality near that of the PS2, but that hasn't stopped them.
Graphic quality has reached a level where it is good enough for most people, that is why it's not as important this generation.

I'm sorry but I doubt people spend the amount of time that I do on console games on Ipad and facebook games to know if graphics are good enough. I put in 42 straight hours in Mass Effect 2 but if it looked and played like a Ipad game I would play for maybe 30 minutes. The graphics are good enough for causal gamers but not me and its just as important as gameplay and story for most gamers.

GamerTag/PSN ID JoshmyersBV (please add me I have 2 friends on Xbox Live)

Around the Network
jarrod said:
JerzeeBalla said:
I hate to break the general direction of this thread, but its funny to me how graphics always seemed to matter until this gen. 

Careful with making absolutes like that. Smartasses like me will always poke holes in it by finding exceptions to the rule. <3

Well played sir.

I didnt mean to state it as a fact, but it seems to be a growing trend among Nintendo fans. Not all, but some. I might be reading too much into it, but I see a fair amount of "graphics bashing" this gen as if devs shouldnt want to make good looking games. Just because a game achieves a high level of visuals, it doesnt mean its automatically shallow or generic. But its like some Wii fans refuse to admit that there are fun and original experiences on the competing consoles. Just not as many due to devs following what seems to work. I believe if Nintendo's games were as easy to mimic as the high selling HD games seem to be, the Wii would have the same stigma. Luckily for Nintendo, their games cant be duplicated. Many have tried, none have succeeded.

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

I like boobs but not troll boobs.

big_boss said:
TaichungSteve said:
Graphics have always mattered, up to a certain point. Both Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful graphically than PS2, but the PS2 had visuals that were good enough for the majority of consumers. For that same majority of consumers, the level that was achieved last Gen is still, for the most part, good enough. Just look at the rise of Facebook games and other platforms like the Ipod. None of those offer graphic quality near that of the PS2, but that hasn't stopped them.
Graphic quality has reached a level where it is good enough for most people, that is why it's not as important this generation.

I'm sorry but I doubt people spend the amount of time that I do on console games on Ipad and facebook games to know if graphics are good enough. I put in 42 straight hours in Mass Effect 2 but if it looked and played like a Ipad game I would play for maybe 30 minutes. The graphics are good enough for causal gamers but not me and its just as important as gameplay and story for most gamers.

You are not the market, they are; and they are getting bigger.

And, how the hell do you spend forty-two hours straight playing a game? The only thing I've ever managed to do for forty two hours straight is breathe.

I'll admit that the one (minor) disappointment of my first experience with the Wii was the relatively underwhelming visuals of Wii Sports and other games like Excite Truck and Zelda: TP that were basically missing that generational graphics "wow" factor that usually comes with the purchase of a brand spanking new video game console.

True, the Wii's launch library didn't blow me away the same way that titles like F-Zero and Mario World on the SNES, Mario 64 and Waverace on the N64, and Rogue Leader and Melee on the GC did when I first got to experience them, but there was just as much magic in swinging the Wiimote to play baseball and golf, and using the Wiimote-Nunchuk combo in masterpieces like TP, Prime 3 and Galaxy that no other system could replicate.

In short... great graphics mean jack squat without great gameplay... even if said graphics are nearly 2 generations old

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
TaichungSteve said:
big_boss said:
TaichungSteve said:

And, how the hell do you spend forty-two hours straight playing a game? The only thing I've ever managed to do for forty two hours straight is breathe.

Yeah your right they are a market but there games aren't $60 ether. So as long as millions shell out $60 for a game, our market won't disappear any time soon. As for the second part, I used a PH and RO'd two days off to play it.

NightDragon83 said:
I'll admit that the one (minor) disappointment of my first experience with the Wii was the relatively underwhelming visuals of Wii Sports and other games like Excite Truck and Zelda: TP that were basically missing that generational graphics "wow" factor that usually comes with the purchase of a brand spanking new video game console.

True, the Wii's launch library didn't blow me away the same way that titles like F-Zero and Mario World on the SNES, Mario 64 and Waverace on the N64, and Rogue Leader and Melee on the GC did when I first got to experience them, but there was just as much magic in swinging the Wiimote to play baseball and golf, and using the Wiimote-Nunchuk combo in masterpieces like TP, Prime 3 and Galaxy that no other system could replicate.

In short... great graphics mean jack squat without great gameplay... even if said graphics are nearly 2 generations old

It worked for Heavy Rain.

NightDragon83 said:

In short... great graphics mean jack squat without great gameplay

This is very true. But for some people, great gameplay doesnt mean jack squat without great graphics. This is what I think some people cant understand about others. Neither viewpoint is wrong, its all in what you value. Valuing graphics over gameplay is not wrong, and neither is the opposite. But this is the debate at the center of this "Wii vs HD" debate. What I dont get is why people are so taken aback when someone says graphics are indeed important. Is it that farfetched to believe someone actually wants a beautiful game?

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

big_boss said:
TaichungSteve said:
big_boss said:
TaichungSteve said:

Yeah your right they are a market but there games aren't $60 ether. So as long as millions shell out $60 for a game, our market won't disappear any time soon. As for the second part, I used a PH and RO'd two days off to play it.

Their games generally don't cost multiple millions to make, either. 

No, your market is going away anytime soon, but the other market is completely viable as well, as different markets serve different needs.

I'm not familiar with that acronym, what is a PH? Personal Health day, like a sick day?

Finding the time wasn't really the big issue for me, as 42 hours could easily just filled up an entire weekend if that's what you chose to do, it was the actual stamina involved in participating in any single activity for 42 hours straight. I'm assuming you stopped to eat at some point, or at least had some (hopefully healthy and nutritious) snacks on hand, but no sleeping? No getting up and stretching, moving around, getting the blood flowing? That's not easy to do, physically.

JerzeeBalla said:
jarrod said:
JerzeeBalla said:
I hate to break the general direction of this thread, but its funny to me how graphics always seemed to matter until this gen. 

Careful with making absolutes like that. Smartasses like me will always poke holes in it by finding exceptions to the rule. <3

Well played sir.

I didnt mean to state it as a fact, but it seems to be a growing trend among Nintendo fans. Not all, but some. I might be reading too much into it, but I see a fair amount of "graphics bashing" this gen as if devs shouldnt want to make good looking games. Just because a game achieves a high level of visuals, it doesnt mean its automatically shallow or generic. But its like some Wii fans refuse to admit that there are fun and original experiences on the competing consoles. Just not as many due to devs following what seems to work. I believe if Nintendo's games were as easy to mimic as the high selling HD games seem to be, the Wii would have the same stigma. Luckily for Nintendo, their games cant be duplicated. Many have tried, none have succeeded.

Granted, I'll be first in line for a Wii HD/2/Zii/whatever.  I adore my 360, and those unprezed Dolphin shots and videos of stuff like Mario Galaxy makes my loins ache and hope it comes sooner than later (or I may just have to upgrade my PC).  I love great graphics, but I don't totally feel the best Wii games don't have them per se and even at only 480p, a 60 fps game like Galaxy still looks stunning on my Samsung LCD.  Muramasa's a wonder in motion.  Monster Hunter Tri's a revelation.  Being on Wii doesn't mean you can't be good looking.