By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Naughty Dog: NPD Covers Wal-Mart Sales!

Naughty Dog commented on their twitter that contrary to what most people believe, NPD does cover Wal-Mart on their monthly sales.
Listen up GAF -- NPD says they *do* cover Wal-Mart in their monthly sales charts #MI6conference

Naughty_Dog

http://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/statuses/11436962650

Around the Network

Interesting, this is good to know.

NPD has always said they've taken Wal-Mart into account with their numbers. Their numbers are their best estimate of 100% of retail, not 80% or whatever that some people seem to believe.

There's a little ambiguity here, room for confusion. I think people here accept that NPD "cover" Walmart. It's been said here that they do (very large) consumer surveys and estimate sales from Walmart based on the answers given by Walmart customers. That certainly would count as "covering", from NPD perspective especially. But saying they "cover" Walmart doesn't mean they necessarily track them directly.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

They've always "covered" Wal-mart since they have an estimate for sales at Wal-mart. But this is because Wal-Mart does not give out sales figures, unless this somehow changed recently I don't see it happening.

I'm not sure the way they factor in the statistics, but they can get a ballpark estimate based on typical consumer, what they tend to buy at tracked stores, etc, etc. And overall with sample sizes from other stores with stats you really don't have that much of a margin of error after you get a large enough sample.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Umm... Has anyone said NPD doesn't cover Wal-Mart? It's just that NPD doesn't get data from Wal-Mart and it estimates their sales.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Don't know why people say NPD always covered Wal*Mart/Sams Club, because thats not true.

Walmart has stated in the past they they do not report anything to anyone but certain government reports for obvious reasons.

Wal*Mart is the largest goods distributor in the world, if anything people would report to them... lol

I can not find the resent link on how Wal*Mart corp does not participate in NPD but...

I did find something from 2004 and Macromedia Market Research : Understanding NPD's Point of Sale Data

Although the bulk of the NPD data is raw data sent directly from the participating firms to
NPD, two large firms do not participate in the NPD survey: Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club.
Although the two retailers sell significant quantities of software, their lack of participation
in the NPD data collection effort is not as troubling from Macromedia’s perspective for
two reasons: (1) NPD incorporates estimates for Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club software
sales into the data set, and (2) the two retailers sell mostly consumer-level software titles
(Macromedia does not concentrate on the retail channel to sell its professional-level
software). Thus, because these firms sell little or no Macromedia software, even if the
estimates were removed from the data set, one is unlikely to see any significant change
in Macromedia sales.

Unless things have changed in recent years, NPD does not cover Wal*Mart/Sams Club

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

sega4life said:

Don't know why people say NPD always covered Wal*Mart/Sams Club, because thats not true.

Walmart has stated in the past they they do not report anything to anyone but certain government reports for obvious reasons.

Wal*Mart is the largest goods distributor in the world, if anything people would report to them... lol

I can not find the resent link on how Wal*Mart corp does not participate in NPD but...

I did find something from 2004 and Macromedia Market Research : Understanding NPD's Point of Sale Data

Although the bulk of the NPD data is raw data sent directly from the participating firms to
NPD, two large firms do not participate in the NPD survey: Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club.
Although the two retailers sell significant quantities of software, their lack of participation
in the NPD data collection effort is not as troubling from Macromedia’s perspective for
two reasons: (1) NPD incorporates estimates for Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club software
sales into the data set, and (2) the two retailers sell mostly consumer-level software titles
(Macromedia does not concentrate on the retail channel to sell its professional-level
software). Thus, because these firms sell little or no Macromedia software, even if the
estimates were removed from the data set, one is unlikely to see any significant change
in Macromedia sales.

Unless things have changed in recent years, NPD does not cover Wal*Mart/Sams Club

You misread what is written - "two large firms do not participate in the survey" doesn't mean that NPD numbers do not include numbers for Walmart and Sam's Club, just that these numbers are estimates.

In fact, just two lines later after what you bolded it says specifically "NPD incorporates estimates for Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club software sales into the data set"

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

This is what NPD does.

http://www.npd.com/corpServlet?nextpage=consumer-tracking_s.html

They call it consumer tracking. They essentially asked people to report what they buy at walmart.

(note, NPD tracks everything sold in the US, this is done through estimation. However, NPD does not get direct reports from every retailer. For walmart they estimate sales with a combination of consumer tracking and probably other data sets)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

bmmb1 said:
sega4life said:

in Macromedia sales.

You misread what is written - "two large firms do not participate in the survey" doesn't mean that NPD numbers do not include numbers for Walmart and Sam's Club, just that these numbers are estimates.

In fact, just two lines later after what you bolded it says specifically "NPD incorporates estimates for Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club software sales into the data set"

Ya I found this

So Wal*Mart DOES Count in NPD

"NEW YORK, June 27, 2007 (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT.N) and research firm NPD Group announced an agreement on Wednesday in which NPD will provide the world's largest retailer and its Sam's Club unit with consumer tracking data."

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o