By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will you purchase Starcraft 2?

Will you purchase Starcraft 2?

Yes (when?) 113 71.97%

No (why?) 44 28.03%

Total:157

Will get collector's edition first day

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

The original game was fun, but only to a point. Many other RTS games have taken the concept much farther and have been way more fun. Frankly, I haven't seen anything from the countless 'update' videos and 'walkthroughs' of the classes that shows me the next Starcraft will do anything different. In fact, it looks like they're flaunting the fact that Starcraft 2 will be more of the same, just with new units added and 'multi-layered terrain'.

I don't really find much improvement in mechanics that even SNES and PSX games could surpass in terms of variety and complexity. No matter how big the fanbase may be or how polished the graphics will turn out. Not to mention there's already been a number of other more recent RTS games that have been just as good looking and still managed to innovate the RTS genre. Company of Heroes and Age of Empires III come to mind.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Maaaaaaybe.
Will wait for reviews and for a decent price (not spending more than £15)
Same with Diablo 3.

i have no choice

So is that a no because Blizzard have decided to not advance the gameplay as forward as you wanted?

Because this thread really isn't a discussion of mechanics etc unless of course that lack of forward looking gameplay stops you from buying the game. In which case the argument is of course very valid.

Around the Network

everyday im gaming more and more on pc , i was buying it for sure before but now its just mandatory

FaRmLaNd said:
So is that a no because Blizzard have decided to not advance the gameplay as forward as you wanted?

Because this thread really isn't a discussion of mechanics etc unless of course that lack of forward looking gameplay stops you from buying the game. In which case the argument is of course very valid.

For a sequel to be successful, they are going to cater to two markets.  One, the exact same people who liked the original and played it 'hardcore'.  And two, the people who just like to play it for fun and the 'new' players.  In theory, they could try and cater to both markets, but that's very hard to do.  So with such a popular title like Starcraft, they seem to be opting to target the very large (and profitable) fanbase that already likes the game the way it is (especially in Asia) and hope that new people will buy the game based on hype and marketing.  Much like they did with the original Starcraft.

Problem is, this isn't 1998 and Starcraft II will have actual competitoon, both as an RTS game and a PC game.  And the rest of us who are on the fence or felt some parts of the game haven't stood up against the test of time will probably pass on the game.  Or even worse, there's going to be others who feel the new game isn't 'as good' as the original.  And, like such titles as Pokemon or Final Fantasy, you'll probably see this title sell less than the original game did.  Because its both a sequel and its heavily focusing on one part of its fanbase.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Probably not. I am not into the multiplayer and I don't rate the single player to be worth the full price purchase for a single playthrough for the story. Since Blizzard never drops the price of their games It'll be more than 4+ years before they even approach the price I would consider good value as a bundle of the 3 games and I'd have probably moved on by then.

Tease.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
FaRmLaNd said:

For a sequel to be successful, they are going to cater to two markets.  One, the exact same people who liked the original and played it 'hardcore'.  And two, the people who just like to play it for fun and the 'new' players.  In theory, they could try and cater to both markets, but that's very hard to do.  So with such a popular title like Starcraft, they seem to be opting to target the very large (and profitable) fanbase that already likes the game the way it is (especially in Asia) and hope that new people will buy the game based on hype and marketing.  Much like they did with the original Starcraft.

Problem is, this isn't 1998 and Starcraft II will have actual competitoon, both as an RTS game and a PC game.  And the rest of us who are on the fence or felt some parts of the game haven't stood up against the test of time will probably pass on the game.  Or even worse, there's going to be others who feel the new game isn't 'as good' as the original.  And, like such titles as Pokemon or Final Fantasy, you'll probably see this title sell less than the original game did.  Because its both a sequel and its heavily focusing on one part of its fanbase.

Thats not neccesarily true. Look at new super mario bros which moved back towards the 2d gameplay of the originals yet outsold the more forward looking 3d marios. I think that the people that truly care so much about such innovation in the RTS genre may be less then you think. Especially considering no RTS game has come remotely close to Starcrafts sales since its release. To me it looks more likely that a huge number of people haven't been playing any RTS games since then for whatever reason. Those general consumers may care less about advancing the genre forward then the more hardcore RTS players. The dificulty will be getting these gamers back I think.

Furthermore most Blizzard games have been outselling their originals, so historically it wouldn't be abnormal for it to happen here considering Blizzards massive brandname. I don't think starcraft 2 is being released digitally so the diminishing pc retail space is far more likely to negatively affect the game then its lack of innovation I think.

The Blizzard of yesteryear is long since dead and gone, so that is a no.

PSN ID: KingFate_