By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 has "Sold" 6.6 MILLION (Probably means shipped) -- Fantastic!

Shio might not be too far from the truth on this one. It's Bioware afterall.

Around the Network

I bought it for PC, I don't like steam D2D, etc, I only get Valve games on it cause its required and their games are amazing to (me), What if valve gets hit hit by a meteor! it's better than ubisoft DRM though.

Maybe the game was over-shipped because it sold less then what they expected?

I don't know why (EA) would over ship. it. Isn't it on pace to sell better than ME 1, (Not including this threads article as its the only article I've seen with the information). But then again, it still is EA.

rafichamp said:
Maybe the game was over-shipped because it sold less then what they expected?

Not likely, remember Bioware had a previous game to base expectations on. Plus, there was mostly negative press about the game because of the stripping down of RPG elements before shipping. I highly doubt that stores would have over bought to that extent.

So most likely there is a strong PC sales for the series is the best answer. This is not surprising given the incredible strength of Kotor and Dragon Age PC sales.

Around the Network
Alceste007 said:
Reasonable said:
Its either a type or he means they've shipped that many in total for both ME and ME2 on 360/PC. I just don't believe there is any evidence ME2 itself has sold 6.6 Million.

Assuming it's total shipped for the series clearly PC sales are more significant than I thought for the franchise.

I am betting on the total being for the Mass effect series as well. Still, this does show how strong Bioware games do on the PC.

Yah - I have ME and ME2 on PC an it would be nice to know I'm not alone!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

darthdevidem01 said:
@shio

I was waiting for you

How much do you think ME1 & ME2 sold on the PC?

I don't think both versions have outsold their 360 counterparts, although I definitely expect the ME2 PC to outsell the 360 version by a sizeable margin.

Who knows, maybe even the PC version of ME1 can do better than 360's. ME1 is definitely selling a lot on PC with it's sub $10 sales on digital services (there's currently a $9.99 ME1 sale on Impulse).

Ah, the gaming gods have arrived. As stated, use your own nos. if you want but the trends have been away from pc for a decade and wishing the 360 was dead and buried won't make is so. If pc is so important to devs. why are more and more moving to consoles?

I do hope you are happy with DA:O as unfortunately it may be BW's last game devd pc first. Without the last minute port to consoles that delayed your release BW/EA probably would have lost money. I have paid roughly $140 for a buggy title without mods but at least I know there will be a sequel. Things were very different 5 years ago when development began. Now games like Alan Wake may not get pc release at all. Even Crytek is doing a console shooter. They had estimated theft to legit sales at 20-1, half NPD's best guess. You have only the pirates to blame.

The original article said the sequel alone sold 6.6m which is absolutely impossible unless it sold 4m on pc. Surely even the most ardent of the pc elite don't believe that? Thus the problem is a typo not vastly undertracked or underestimated sales on either platform. I don't have to prove a thing and will take a compromise between industry estimates and the claims from disgruntled fans. Using this to 'prove' Bioware knows they sold x million on pc is just not a reasonable explanation. It appears that the writer used that figure, not the good Drs.

Recon1O1 said:
Ah, the gaming gods have arrived. As stated, use your own nos. if you want but the trends have been away from pc for a decade and wishing the 360 was dead and buried won't make is so. If pc is so important to devs. why are more and more moving to consoles?

I do hope you are happy with DA:O as unfortunately it may be BW's last game devd pc first. Without the last minute port to consoles that delayed your release BW/EA probably would have lost money. I have paid roughly $140 for a buggy title without mods but at least I know there will be a sequel. Things were very different 5 years ago when development began. Now games like Alan Wake may not get pc release at all. Even Crytek is doing a console shooter. They had estimated theft to legit sales at 20-1, half NPD's best guess. You have only the pirates to blame.

The original article said the sequel alone sold 6.6m which is absolutely impossible unless it sold 4m on pc. Surely even the most ardent of the pc elite don't believe that? Thus the problem is a typo not vastly undertracked or underestimated sales on either platform. I don't have to prove a thing and will take a compromise between industry estimates and the claims from disgruntled fans. Using this to 'prove' Bioware knows they sold x million on pc is just not a reasonable explanation. It appears that the writer used that figure, not the good Drs.

@ bolded

I believe the word you are looking for is "expanded" to consoles. They haven't stopped making games for the PC. It makes good business sense now as engines can be designed to take advantage of PC, 360 and PS3 since the power of all 3 is now comparable. In fact it's really been the introduction of Microsoft to the console market that has pushed more PC devs to expand to consoles.

In the past they'd make a PC engine and it'd be very difficult to port down to consoles. Furthermore, development costs meant that a PC game could still be very profitable even with only small sales. These days it costs a lot more and it's hard to justify only having a PC version when at the very least a 360 version is a simple port away.

As for Alan Wake, Microsoft are publishing that so of course they won't want a PC version; they wouldn't get the platform royalties from a PC version.

Easy.

The other 3.3 million units are the secretly shipped and not yet unveiled ps3 version of the game, of course.

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection