By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 overtake the 360 before the end of 2010?

Will the PS3 overtake the 360 before the end of 2010?

Yes it will!!! 90 14.15%

No it will not!!! 268 42.14%

Maybe. But more likely in 2011. 244 38.36%

Candy!!! 33 5.19%

Total:635

Hah, I'm a PS3 fan and there's no way the PS3 will catch up by the end of this year.  Where the hell did you get your numbers of 3 million more PS3s sold.  It certainly wasn't on this site, which reckons about 2.3mil over the 6 months before you made your original post.

Also, MOST of those sales were in the last 2 months of 2009, so your average of 500k per week has been massively skewed by this, not to mention being already wrong due to the wrong total.  The PS3 had only sold about 1 mil more this year at that point.

I reckon another 1-2 million by the end of year perhaps 1-2 million more over the holiday periods and that's about it.  Mid to end of 2011 is more likely when the PS3 actually overtakes the 360.

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:

Gran turismo 5 is the PS3s main game which should sell 1 million PS3s in its launch week and become the biggest selling exclusive HD game of this generation. 5 million copies of Gran turismo 5 sold in launch week is a lock in.

I am not quite sure i understand this so could someone explain it to me!

Are you saying GT5 will sell an additional 1m PS3 units in it's launch week?

GT5 will sell 5m units in it's first week?

GT5 will sell over 11m units lifetime to beat Halo 3 sales?

That is a pretty far out there claim. And would mean the series will have to break most gaming sales records, all the current gens sales records. And on top of that only one GT game has broken 11m sales, that was way back in 2001, almost a decade a go. That was with 140m consoles to sell to. Currently PS3 has 35m owners. So by using your figures  15% of PS3 owners will buy GT5 in it's first week and 33% of current PS3 owners will buy GT5 within it's first 3 years (as that is how quick Halo got to that number)? Do you really believe that?

I believe the gap will be about 3 million at the end of this year. so far this year the ps3 has outsold the xbox by 1.1 million units.

Gran turismo 5 is the PS3s main game which should sell 1 million PS3s in its launch week and become the biggest selling exclusive HD game of this generation. 5 million copies of Gran turismo 5 sold in launch week is a lock in.

I stand by that claim as an accurate sales prediction that will happen. First week of November Gran Turismo 5 launches and is the start of a huge sales period for the PS3. Gran Turismo 5 launch week will result in 1 million PS3s sold worldwide.

PS3 will sell 1 million in a week four or five times between 1 November 2010 and 31 December 2010. 

November:

Gran turismo 5 = 1 million PS3s sold lock in.

Black friday week = 1 million PS3s sold in.

December:

two or three weeks = 1 million PS3s sold in a week.

if the $299 360S is the cheapest sku then it will happen this year but i think therell be a $200 or even less 360S by sept wen reach releases so it wont happen this year

damn ps3beats360 4-5 weeks of 1m sold in a week WW i need to get back in my lab to come up with some perdictions like that, id say maybe 1 or 2 weeks of 1m sold WW in a week

vgc needs more posters like ps3beat360 even if he sounds a little crazzyman

Play Me

Around the Network

for the entire year sony ps3 has gained on the 360 by 1.16 million units. 3 months from now it will be down to .6 million

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Ping_ii said:
Lots of speculations here but only 1 thing is for sure IF the ps3 does overtake 360 you can damn well guarantee that the 360 squad will hang them selves.

Why?  They worked Sony over so badly, that they forced last gen's king of the consoles - to undergo extreme losses and hardships in order to beat them.

I think MS has done more than enough to establish themselves in this industry, in where they require some respect.

Too hard in 2010, the slim will boost 360's sales. Depends on the Move success as well.

No, but I'm with everyone who said 2011 it will.

I know people think the 360 re-design/kinect will rejuvinate the 360 and put it ahead, but I think the opposite. I think that Microsoft will get laughed at for Kinect when/if it fails and sales will drop. The redesign is cool but there's no price drop so I seen no boost to sales. Their E3 was like 10% games and 90% kinect and with the only big games coming being Gears 3 and Halo Reach that's not a lot compared to Sony/Nintendo.

It won't this year, but next year it should.

Doesn't really mean it will though.