By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Official Star Craft 2 Beta Thread

They are still balancing the game. There is update every week. I remember 2 weeks ago I was so pissed that my cannons are so week and the next day there was an update with risen attack and life of protos cannons.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
Gnizmo said:
Marines are no where near as effective as Thors in taking out Mutalisks for the same level of investment. 3-4 Thors can wipe out stupid numbers of Mutalisks without breaking a sweat. Marines are going to take heavy losses, take longer to kill them, and not have the same range of protection. Vikings don't even come close to being effective against Mutalisks though. I don't know where you got that impression. I watched 8 Vikings get crushed by a relatively small swarm of Mutalisks, while 3 Thors took out more, and only lost one unit.

Battlecruisers also cannot be created as fast as Thors. Not even close. Thors have a 60 second build time vs 110 seconds for a Battlecruiser, and it takes longer to even get them! Yeah, I would take a Battlecruiser over a Thor on a one to one basis. It takes a lot longer to get them, build them, and make them in large enough numbers to take down a Mutalisk swarm.

Carriers are a funny one for them to fight. Targeting the ship themselves will mean the Thors are in serious trouble. Having them take out the interceptors helps level the playing field. I wouldn't build a Thor against Protoss though. Going for a ground war never really ends well as once they start producing Collossi you lose on ground.

I'm not saying those others are AS effective as thors at taking out mutas, just that they are effective - and often more versatile.

As for vikings not being effective against mutas... seriously? vikings do nearly twice their damage at 3x their range. Are they effective at 5 to 1 odds? No. But they're only a touch more expensive (50 more minerals, 25 less gas), so if the opponent has 4 or 5 times your forces, you're in for a beating. But the advantage of vikings is that they're fast and have matchless range. They shouldn't sit and get eaten by mutas.... they can stay back, pick off a few for free, and back off if chased. They can pull the mutas into ground forces or force them to retreat. if you watched 8 vikings get crushed by a relatively small swarm of mutas, you watched a novice using the vikings. Aside from which, I doubt you'd see a lot of mutas if you're terran anyway, as they have so many units effective against them. mutas are primarily deployed vs toss, who they terrorize.

As for thors against carrier interceptors... seems like they'd be good against those... I wouldn't know though, as I have yet to see someone use them. (Except in maybe one non-ranked FFA game)

If you want to use thors, you should try a thor-rush build that my friend invented when he played in platinum league. It's awesome :D I think you can find it if you search for vods or reps.

Thors are also very useful in TvZ for taking out/absorbing damage from banelings. 

I LOVE ICELAND!

Heads up for those of you who do not wade through the cesspit that is the official forums: full wipe is coming. They don't have a set date as yet. Rumor mill is saying another round of friend invites will come as well.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Heads up for those of you who do not wade through the cesspit that is the official forums: full wipe is coming. They don't have a set date as yet. Rumor mill is saying another round of friend invites will come as well.

By friend invites do you mean another ound of beta keys will be sent? (Please say yes!)

Signature goes here!

Hm, didn't opt in but I just got a beta invitation.  Did they just send out a mass of invites or something?

Around the Network

About time it came out, although I've given up on the game already =(

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

The world is so cruel... people get invitations without asking for them and I have to wait and watch replays! Grrrrr!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

By friend invites do you mean another ound of beta keys will be sent? (Please say yes!)

Well those go out regular like to the best of my knowledge. Once a week or so. The last time they did a character wipe was right before they put in 2 vs 2 I believe, and all testers got a beta key to give away. So word is that it will introduce 3 vs 3 and let more people in. Don't take it as fact though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

KungKras said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Gnizmo said:
Marines are no where near as effective as Thors in taking out Mutalisks for the same level of investment. 3-4 Thors can wipe out stupid numbers of Mutalisks without breaking a sweat. Marines are going to take heavy losses, take longer to kill them, and not have the same range of protection. Vikings don't even come close to being effective against Mutalisks though. I don't know where you got that impression. I watched 8 Vikings get crushed by a relatively small swarm of Mutalisks, while 3 Thors took out more, and only lost one unit.

Battlecruisers also cannot be created as fast as Thors. Not even close. Thors have a 60 second build time vs 110 seconds for a Battlecruiser, and it takes longer to even get them! Yeah, I would take a Battlecruiser over a Thor on a one to one basis. It takes a lot longer to get them, build them, and make them in large enough numbers to take down a Mutalisk swarm.

Carriers are a funny one for them to fight. Targeting the ship themselves will mean the Thors are in serious trouble. Having them take out the interceptors helps level the playing field. I wouldn't build a Thor against Protoss though. Going for a ground war never really ends well as once they start producing Collossi you lose on ground.

I'm not saying those others are AS effective as thors at taking out mutas, just that they are effective - and often more versatile.

As for vikings not being effective against mutas... seriously? vikings do nearly twice their damage at 3x their range. Are they effective at 5 to 1 odds? No. But they're only a touch more expensive (50 more minerals, 25 less gas), so if the opponent has 4 or 5 times your forces, you're in for a beating. But the advantage of vikings is that they're fast and have matchless range. They shouldn't sit and get eaten by mutas.... they can stay back, pick off a few for free, and back off if chased. They can pull the mutas into ground forces or force them to retreat. if you watched 8 vikings get crushed by a relatively small swarm of mutas, you watched a novice using the vikings. Aside from which, I doubt you'd see a lot of mutas if you're terran anyway, as they have so many units effective against them. mutas are primarily deployed vs toss, who they terrorize.

As for thors against carrier interceptors... seems like they'd be good against those... I wouldn't know though, as I have yet to see someone use them. (Except in maybe one non-ranked FFA game

If you want to use thors, you should try a thor-rush build that my friend invented when he played in platinum league. It's awesome :D I think you can find it if you search for vods or reps.

Thors are also very useful in TvZ for taking out/absorbing damage from banelings. 

Actually a friend sent me a link to a vid of a thor rush game recently... does it really work in a platinum division? I may need to give it a try... I'm just about to finally claw my way outta copper, so if it works in platinum, it should be solid there.

Actually a friend sent me a link to a vid of a thor rush game recently... does it really work in a platinum division? I may need to give it a try... I'm just about to finally claw my way outta copper, so if it works in platinum, it should be solid there.

It uses the agility of the medivac combined with the overall strenght of the thor to catch the Zerg off-guard and snipe queens and overlords etc to get the terran an advantage so that he later can steamroll the Zerg. 

As long as you use that thor + medivac to try and deal tons of damage, it should be a solid build. The danger is Zerglings that could run under the medivac and prevent you from landing your thor or snipe the thor when it lands. You could use cliffs to deal with that.

You would also have to be good at knowing when to quit and transition to your end-game plan.

It's a really cool strat when it works.

I LOVE ICELAND!